Chess!

Users who are viewing this thread

It's been a long time since I played Chess, I remember a thing or two about opening theories though. Actually, I remember only first move or two of some openings. :razz:

Magorian Aximand said:
I guess you were playing White in this game, right? I'm actually confused with some moves by Black. For example: 11.Kf8, totally unnecessary given that there wasn't a real threat by the White Queen, Kg8 would be logical to me to chase away the Queen and make castling soon after. Next one, 12. f5 is even worse since it opens the space for the White Knight on f3 to attack wherever he wants, so I would play 12. fxe5.
Even if White gained huge advantage in the center of the board, the Black Queen actually ensured that to be a total disaster for Black, first with 15.Qc6 and then actually with doing nothing. Also, after 19.b4 White should have played Kd5 and later Kf6 or to take pawn on c7, real mess for Black in any case.

Edit: Excellent topic btw, I'll certainly follow this with interest.

Thanks for the interest!

Workaholic said:
11.Kf8, totally unnecessary given that there wasn't a real threat by the White Queen, Kg8 would be logical to me to chase away the Queen and make castling soon after.

Nf8 (not K which is for King!) is definitely a weird one. I can only guess that he was trying to protect the h7 pawn in case the Rook had to move away, but that's such a waste of a Knight. But Ng8 is worse, because Qf7 wins the indefensible rook. Rather than chasing the queen away, you aid her invasion of the kingside. Best for Black there is actually Kf7, forgoing castling, connecting the major pieces on his back rank, and protecting the pawns he shouldn't have pushed.

Workaholic said:
Next one, 12. f5 is even worse since it opens the space for the White Knight on f3 to attack wherever he wants, so I would play 12. fxe5.

f5 is definitely a blunder, and fxe5 is a large improvement. But best for Black here is Nf5, which kicks the queen out of it's square and frees up Black's position without opening up the Kingside.

Workaholic said:
Also, after 19.b4 White should have played Kd5 and later Kf6 or to take pawn on c7, real mess for Black in any case.

Nd5 is certainly strong, but I saw the opportunity for the mate threat after Nf6+. Black could have defended the square with Qxd4, but we both missed it in this 5 minute game. And she would be chased off the diagonal quickly by the rooks.

Magorian Aximand said:
Nf8 (not K which is for King!) is definitely a weird one. I can only guess that he was trying to protect the h7 pawn in case the Rook had to move away, but that's such a waste of a Knight. But Ng8 is worse, because Qf7 wins the indefensible rook. Rather than chasing the queen away, you aid her invasion of the kingside. Best for Black there is actually Kf7, forgoing castling, connecting the major pieces on his back rank, and protecting the pawns he shouldn't have pushed.
Uh, I overlooked that move with indefensible Rook, Kf7 is indeed the best what he could have done there.
Magorian Aximand said:
f5 is definitely a blunder, and fxe5 is a large improvement. But best for Black here is Nf5, which kicks the queen out of it's square and frees up Black's position without opening up the Kingside.
I did think about Nf5 but I thought that g4 after Qh3 would have brought the unenviable position for the Black again.
Magorian Aximand said:
Nd5 is certainly strong, but I saw the opportunity for the mate threat after Nf6+. Black could have defended the square with Qxd4, but we both missed it in this 5 minute game. And she would be chased off the diagonal quickly by the rooks.
Well Rxc7 crossed my mind first after his Qxa2 but frankly, I spent more time thinking about what Black should do after some really bad moves.

Magorian Aximand said:
Well, look through it and give me five moves you don't understand. Just pick five. I'll explain my ideas, and what I think his ideas were as best I can.

I suppose it's just because my thought process is different. You know how in werewolf, where I get all confused and start being suspicious of everyone and I act fairly defensively? Yeah, I'm like that in chess. ****ing WIFOM.  :mad:

Any good online site where two people can easily find eachothers and play chess with minimal effort? Skype used to have that stuff...

Well, there's always the possibility to make a chat room at Xat.com, but the chess is pretty basic on that site. If you don't mind that it's at least easy to find each other on there.

Vieira said:
Magorian Aximand said:
Well, look through it and give me five moves you don't understand. Just pick five. I'll explain my ideas, and what I think his ideas were as best I can.

I suppose it's just because my thought process is different. You know how in werewolf, where I get all confused and start being suspicious of everyone and I act fairly defensively? Yeah, I'm like that in chess. ****ing WIFOM.  :mad:

That's the point of having you point out moves that you don't quite get. When you understand my thought process, it might help.

Haresus said:
Any good online site where two people can easily find eachothers and play chess with minimal effort? Skype used to have that stuff...

Chesscube is alright, but the cubits thing can be annoying if you run out. Yahoo does okay.

Magorian Aximand said:
Vieira said:
Magorian Aximand said:

That's the point of having you point out moves that you don't quite get. When you understand my thought process, it might help.

True. Not got round to looking at it yet though :razz:

GADDAMNIT.

Anyway, tell me the reasoning behind starting moves. I want to know what reasons there are, because I never really have a clue at the start.

EDIT: I recognise why you move the first knight you do, on move 3.

Also, what was the reasoning behind castling so early?

This is actually a poor example to explain general opening principles, because my opponent followed virtually none of them. He seemed more concerned with creating some "cute" symmetrical defensive position than responding to what I was playing, controlling the center, or developing his pieces to work together. I'll be doing a tutorial on basic opening principles, and I'll use a common and very sound opening line to demonstrate the concepts involved.

Castling is primarily about King safety. A King that's trapped in the center is generally vulnerable to attack. I say generally, because there are exceptions, but those arise from specific game situations, and are not principles to live by.

Trevty said:
Nice.  That's a nice varied game.  So many of mine end up looking the same because my opponent doesn't really do much.

Hopefully in the next few months I can show you how to make them pay for their lack of initiative.

Lord Brutus said:
I'm loving this thread!  Thanks, Magorian.  Just don't change your avatar to Magnus Carlsen.

Thanks! Don't worry, he has a lot to accomplish to stand on equal footing with my man Kasparov.

Workaholic said:
Magorian Aximand said:
Fun little game I played today: I have the black pieces this time.
Very interesting game. What's the name of the opening that you played, seems like a really aggressive response to the Queen's Gambit?

It's the Nimzo-Indian Defense. Because white played 4. Nf3 it's specifically the Three Knights variation, or the Kasparov variation. (Different names for the same thing). It's more solid than aggressive. I'm just an aggressive player.

So I'm gonna be a terrible person and double post for the bump...

I just wanted to share this game played by a sleepy me: http://www.viewchess.com/cbreader/2013/2/11/Game698683565.html

Back
Top Bottom