Characters in bannerlord look a bit too wooden.

Users who are viewing this thread

A problem with M+B, which doesn't seem to be fixed for bannerlord, is that character's don't behave like people. They don't move like people. They don't die like people, and they're silent beyond the grunts a hit or swing'll make. 

- weapon animations for "the enemy is not near me, guess I can relax somewhat"
-Animations for "I am running at the enemy, I should look scary" (or at least not hold the weapon perfectly still.) and vice versa.
-Turning heads to look around, especially when wary of flanking enemies (or the field is chaos) and stances of "I don't know where the enemy will come from, but my mass is low and my spring will take me any direction" because it just looks out of place when cavalry is all around and infantry are ignorantly jogging in the midst.
-Various animations for climbing hills/going through uncertain/uneven footing

But soldiers should banter. There are many games, games more centric to single playable characters, like half life or Halo, where allied AI, and enemy AI, had memorable dialogue. I find it really hard to believe that in groups of 30+ on a battlefield of possible death, nobody says anything. Soldiers say some of the greatest things, and this is true if we're looking at marines in Afghanistan or legionaires with obscenities written into their sling ammunition. A bit of whistling or humming would go far, an occasional quip of "we're so ****ed" or "I don't wanna die" would be swell, a dialogue begining with "So whatever happened with your..." followed by an answer would be simply excellent, moreso if the troop's morale factored into what they say. I recall getting nagged by followers about how other followers would hurl insults to the enemy, yell about discipline, or tell them to put the line back or forth; yet you never heard this, you just got nagged for it, and it was such a downer to be missing out.

Instead of just unconsciousness, a wounded state would be fantastic. Battle, however glorious, is still kinda horrible. This could have an interesting effect where wounded but still savable soldiers would be hazards or points to fight over (since the enemy might finish them if they take the ground, or allies could take them to safety). People don't go down cleanly, sadly, but there's potential mechanics to be made from that (IE don't trample your allies with your horse)

Back
Top Bottom