Character Traits - How do they work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Started with the character traits Honor, Generosity, and Mercy. Had some starving soldiers for a bit (which I know lowers generosity) and lost generosity, but having a lot of trouble bringing generosity back up. The wiki just says that there's one (one!!!) flag for increasing generosity called PartyTreatedWell. Is that info still true? What does that even mean?

I honestly feel in the dark about these and the steps to increase or decrease them, as well as how the traits affect the game for the player and AI.

I honestly feel in the dark about these and the steps to increase or decrease them, as well as how the traits affect the game for the player and AI.
You're not alone, I've asked about adding a system to tell the player when they are gaining or losing Trait Score but apparently they already have the player inundated with pop-ups and notifications and don't want to add more.

I just don't understand what they even do. Is there a point to trying to bother raising traits?
Not really. Sometimes the color of text in dialogue choices changes to green or red.... however it's unclear how much actual help it is as it completely indiscernible to me in 50+ marriage dialogues, like the actual rate of success or failure always seems the same. So it does help, but just not very much, like most thing in this game, Oh cool +5 whoopty doos of monday! Yay!

You're not alone, I've asked about adding a system to tell the player when they are gaining or losing Trait Score but apparently they already have the player inundated with pop-ups and notifications and don't want to add more.
Yeah no pop ups, they need to add it in a simple clean page in character pages, list them all, show actual value, tool tip on how they raise and lower, show recent history of changes.

I just don't understand what they even do. Is there a point to trying to bother raising traits?
I think they increase persuasion chances in dialogue options with similarly-aligned nobles. My (positive) traits are level 2 and when convincing a lord to join my kingdom, one option always gives a 100% critical success if the other guy is honourable. Strangely even if they're devious that option is still very high like 95% if I recall.

Not really. Sometimes the color of text in dialogue choices changes to green or red.... however it's unclear how much actual help it is as it completely indiscernible to me in 50+ marriage dialogues, like the actual rate of success or failure always seems the same. So it does help, but just not very much, like most thing in this game, Oh cool +5 whoopty doos of monday! Yay!

Yeah no pop ups, they need to add it in a simple clean page in character pages, list them all, show actual value, tool tip on how they raise and lower, show recent history of changes.

I know this crap is a holdover from Warband but this is something that really need to be changed. TW is really bad at UI and QoL improvements.

I think they increase persuasion chances in dialogue options with similarly-aligned nobles. My (positive) traits are level 2 and when convincing a lord to join my kingdom, one option always gives a 100% critical success if the other guy is honourable. Strangely even if they're devious that option is still very high like 95% if I recall.
Yes: they are really more like your Reputation. Doing 'things' will shift these traits over a playthrough, and some lords like/hate some traits. They are a reaction to what you do, 'sorta' like Skyrim(?)

If indeed the maximum effect of traits is about a 0-10% bonus/penalty to persuasion chances, that's probably good design imho. If you're negotiating important matter A, then a person's affairs in unrelated matter B shouldn't affect the real decision that much (lrn2compartmentalize!). Real-world research shows that too iirc, that people make more important decisions on a much more pragmatic rather than moralistic basis (accuracy aside).

We can probably all agree though that more transparency in the traits and more balanced means of acquiring and losing points in each is desirable. For such a small gameplay effect though, it's probably low-priority.

Would I care if traits were axed in the final version? Eh. But it would be nice, since NPCs have personality traits, for the player to have them too, and for them to mean something in terms of behavior for both. That might be TW's goal.

Back
Top Bottom