Character Creation in 2022

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm gonna be honest, and to preface I adore this game to bits, but the character creation is as lackluster as it was in the first version of EA. Faces for men all look like the same, dour, long-faced man no matter what culture I choose. Women all look the same as well, beautiful and wearing eyeliner(?) with petite, red lips and etc. You know what I mean- you all play the same game I do.
There just aren't enough ways to make unique-looking men or women in both the body and face sliders. Why can't I make a man with a hairless body and a "pretty-boy" face (with the intention of him being charismatic and rogueish)? Why can't I make a brutal, muscular woman Brienne of Tarth-esque with intent on her being more "scary" than pretty? I can't seem to make a woman who is flat-chested and lithe or a man who is skinny and gentle.

Know what I mean?

I think making the sliders go to more extremes in CC might solve this- not a whole overhaul, of course. Maybe include some body and face textures for gentlemen that don't have a lot of hair and women who don't wear makeup? People have super diverse faces and bodies and I think it's holding this game back a ton by not letting us make the person we wish to make.

Thank you for your time.

I absolutely concur, I'd like to assure you, before the "visuals don't matter because you wear a helmet" crowd jumps in.

It's a pity that no alternate skin mods are made yet, except nude mods I'm not very interested in. Maybe it is very difficult with the game code? Or people think all men in the medieval age had big muscles, ape-like body hair, beards and baldy heads.

I agree, the character creation in general needs more work (not only the actual character design, but also being able to select our character's social status at start such as default, trader, mercenary, criminal, lord or ruler, their marital status and whether they have children or not etc.).

As for choosing the looks of a male character, I've noticed that the biggest issue comes from not having an adequate amount of hairstyles and especially not being able to change the character's head shape (and forehead size). Due to all characters having the same Mr. Potato Man x Human Shrek shaped heads which we cannot change, they all look the same-ish no matter what we do.

Last edited:
Never forget what they took from us
32ig39ae69ey.jpg
[URL
514148609.jpg

Z0Gn75E.jpg

It would be amazing if a Taleworlds dev read this stuff; games like Fallout 3/NV handled face creation leagues better in 2008 than Bannerlord is in 2022. I just expected a higher standard, I guess. I opted to play as a woman in my current run-through of Bannerlord because I wanted to play as someone not masculine- and there is no way to make someone who isn't masculine unless you choose to be a woman.

I know that content patches are over, I think, but at least for this I would love if Taleworlds could make an exception or at least make it a free update when they come out with a DLC. I dunno! That is, unless a modder gets to it first (DCC doesn't quite do it although I appreciate the maker trying).

It would be amazing if a Taleworlds dev read this stuff; games like Fallout 3/NV handled face creation leagues better in 2008 than Bannerlord is in 2022. I just expected a higher standard, I guess. I opted to play as a woman in my current run-through of Bannerlord because I wanted to play as someone not masculine- and there is no way to make someone who isn't masculine unless you choose to be a woman.

I know that content patches are over, I think, but at least for this I would love if Taleworlds could make an exception or at least make it a free update when they come out with a DLC. I dunno! That is, unless a modder gets to it first (DCC doesn't quite do it although I appreciate the maker trying).
Content patches are not over so don't worry. In their future plans post, they detailed the things they are certain to add like back alley management and will double the number of battle maps, as well as other things they are thinking to add. They also will add things like claimant quests and new sally out mechanics sometime in the future. Idk if they will redo the character creator, but there is a chance that they may tweak it.

Last edited:
. Faces for men all look like the same, dour, long-faced man no matter what culture I choose
Absolutly, there's big problem with the size of the nose tip and jaw that makes men look very similar unless extreme sliders (max ugly). It's very disheartening to not be able to make character that even slightly resembles you because the man's nose is always 2x as big or more no matter what you do and also having a big beard max them look too similar in the jaw too. The girl character is also hard to work with, with most not-ugly faces looking very similar and bland.
Why can't I make a man with a hairless body and a "pretty-boy" face
Yeah, it's a huge loss.
YcQAl.png

Never forget what they took from us
:xf-cry:

The most impactful thing in character creation seems to be skin textures. There are only a few (4?5?)for each gender, so all the characters look like they're from the same very limited gene pool. You can stretch that face all different ways, give them different haircuts and a couple of nice scars.... but it's the same 4 faces every time.

If I had my way, I'd add another half dozen for each gender.

Seems like a relatively easy fix to me too. Maybe a modder can do a facial diversity mod that has a few dozen extra textures?

I would like to be able to pick my horse color too though. I like to beat this dead horse in every thread vaguely relevant to it 'cause it just seems pointlessly restrictive being locked into a default horse color randomly generated in character generation for the rest of the game.

Also change family's appearance would be nice, I like starting in campaign mode with a brother that looks actually related to my character.

There might be limits on how much variety strains battle performance when it comes to face/body sliders though?

Content patches are not over so don't worry. In their future plans post, they detailed the things they are certain to add like back alley management and will double the number of battle maps, as well as other things they are thinking to add. They also will add things like claimant quests and new sally out mechanics sometime in the future. Idk if they will redo the character creator, but there is a chance that they may tweak it.
I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to! I hope expanding the banner creation is on their list as well, as the colors are very limited too.

Can someone tell me what the hell happened? This is definetly not doable now

At a guess... the system was simplified. Perhaps the more complicated system needed additional resources - probably in game at the expense of other things, rather than at creation. Either that or the system or assets may have hit a file size budget so had to be rationalised.

Back
Top Bottom