Changing map speed possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi all,

I find map travel speed too high. Maybe it`s my age but I can`t react fast enough when on the world map. Actually it takes all fun out of the game for me.

Is it possible to adjust this somewhere?

Otherwise I will probably have to abandon this otherwise great game.

Regards, Oldtimer

I find myself having to keep a finger on the spacebar so that I can pause before giving/changing orders, as I'm also just not fast enough to deal with moving targets on the main map.  Hope that helps, 'cause I really don't know how to globally reduce movement speed.  I suspect there's something in the module system that might do it, but no clue what or where.

When I am alone or have just a few companions, I stuff my inventory so I won't go faster then 3.1.
Besides you should not upgrade the perk that increases party map speed. (Pathfinding?)

Yes, it is pathfinding which increases your speed.

Your map travel speed is too high? Easy. Never get pathfinding. Stuff your inventory. Don't use cavalry (although this may be too extreme). Get a lot of spotting, so you can see your enemies approach. Or even press ctrl-T with cheats enabled: That's truesight, allowing you to see all parties. But it makes the game stutter in some mods, such as EGII and BoW.

No cheat is a cheat if you need it.

Not adding pathfinding would work at keeping YOUR speed slowER, but at the same time, would give you a disadvantage when compared to enemy units on the map.  You may not be able to give chase to as many parties as you would like, or even outrun some.  Especially kergits.  It's not a complete fix by any means, but maybe a decent temporary one.  Your best bet however, imo, would be to take pode's tactic and keep the finger on the space bar and just tap it quick when you spot an enemy to pause and adjust direction, etc.  I do the same. 

Hi all,

thanks for your advice, but the main point remains:

- why did the devs increase map speed to the extent that the game loses its appeal to some enthusiasts? Without providing the possibility for players to set map speed according to their reflexes?

The gameplaywise best thought out pirate game till now, "Cutthroats", never really got of the ground because of the ship speed in battles being way above the reaction speed of ordinary humans with no adjustment provision. I`d hate to see M&B go the same way.

Regards, Oldtimer

Oldtimer said:
Hi all,

thanks for your advice, but the main point remains:

- why did the devs increase map speed to the extent that the game loses its appeal to some enthusiasts? Without providing the possibility for players to set map speed according to their reflexes?

The gameplaywise best thought out pirate game till now, "Cutthroats", never really got of the ground because of the ship speed in battles being way above the reaction speed of ordinary humans with no adjustment provision. I`d hate to see M&B go the same way.

Regards, Oldtimer

I believe there is an adjustment in the video options to set the game speed, but I'm not sure if that affects the map screen or just in battle. I might be completely making that up, but I'm pretty sure there's one there. Honestly, you're the first person I heard have an issue with it, I've never had any problems with it at all. I'd have to say that the devs probably aren't aware that the map speed is causing the game to "lose it's appeal to some enthusiasts". No offense, but I think by "some enthusiasts" you're really just referring to yourself.

I have a finder on the space bar all the time as well and tap it as soon as anything happens that needs a thought or a precise click.

In most situations however i rather wish there were a button to hold to double the speed. Just for a few seconds each time when traveling between vilages/towns or whatever. The gamespeed when you camp would probably be nice, however its very fast.

btw. i would also not recommen to slow yourself down due to not taking advantage of pathfinding or stuffing your inventory as you would only be able to attack stronger parties wich dont flee from you wich would probably also cause the game to "lose it's appeal to some enthusiasts"  :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Hi all,

I find map travel speed too high. Maybe it`s my age but I can`t react fast enough when on the world map. Actually it takes all fun out of the game for me.

Is it possible to adjust this somewhere?

Otherwise I will probably have to abandon this otherwise great game.

Regards, Oldtimer

Go into ...Mount&Blade\Modules\Native or whatever mod you're playing.  Open the module.ini and look for this line  time_multiplier = 0.25  I haven't messed with it myself so you'll have to experiment and see if an increase or decrease slows the game down.

Confirmed that reducing it makes it slower.

EDIT: Well, to be more precise, the entire map-moving phase of the game goes slower. Which means that the days are slower and the cattle quests become annoying (if they aren't already). I'd actually trade that for sudden attacks any time.

Hyde said:
I have a finder on the space bar all the time as well and tap it as soon as anything happens that needs a thought or a precise click.

In most situations however i rather wish there were a button to hold to double the speed. Just for a few seconds each time when traveling between vilages/towns or whatever. The gamespeed when you camp would probably be nice, however its very fast.

btw. i would also not recommen to slow yourself down due to not taking advantage of pathfinding or stuffing your inventory as you would only be able to attack stronger parties wich dont flee from you wich would probably also cause the game to "lose it's appeal to some enthusiasts"  :lol:

Hi,

just look a few posts above... Then you`ll realise that "some" is more then myself...

Regards, Oldtimer

Back
Top Bottom