Change texture of comrades and some other remarks

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi,

firstly, the historical correctness of the mod is awesome imho. It's also relatively bugfree. The only annoying problems I have are with ships, landing in ports or on the coast is often not possible. And you should not buy a ship in Wales, you get stranded on land from the beginning. It's already reported in the bug thread by others. I really like the mod, it's the reason I actually play M&B.  :smile: That said, my questions/remarks not worth a thread of it's own::

1.  Being new to M&B I'm not experienced with modding it. My question: is it possible to change the appearance of npc, comrades in this case, especially give them other faces? Where are the files and .dds for the comrades located? Did not found it in the Brytenwalda module folder yet.

2. Some minor negative critique:
What I miss a little bit is, more bare feet among the Irish and Pictish warriors. Some of my comrades from these regions even fight without shoes, me too when I was a more humble warrior (because I'm Irish - in the game). The loss of protection is not such a problem, but the vanilla leg and feet textures are really ugly. Best would be an item "bare feet" with better design than vanilla feet that should improve agility related things (if technically possible, which it may not) or should exist just for optical reasons (I know, a rather exorbitant demand  :wink: ).

I don't see the reason to use an onehanded axe. It has the same damage as swords, cannot stab and has lower reach and speed. The advantage against shields may be of some worth in mp battles perhaps? In sp it's not necessary or a healthy tactic to batter shields imho, so I don't give axes to my comrades, even when they come from axe-wielding societies. Wouldn't it be possible to give axes at least more damage than swords, especially against armoured foes? An axe combines cutting with smashing power and concentrates it to a smaller area, that should be simulated in the game. I would however still prefer swords for myself even with less damage, but the decision should be difficult.

1. Without module system maybe you can change it use: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,101731.0.html

2. Pictish and irish unit have bare leg item (no bare feet, We havent done it and we use native here). You can get it for players and comrades. I imagine that only people more poor had bare feet.

3. Intereting, I like use axe because it have good penetration vs shields, and in this time shield is main defensive armor.
I hear some players that use axe much too.
However, 1h axe wasnt more frenquent weapon in dark ages.

Geala, Axes do not need more damage. They are simply deadly - even if you have the famous wolf lorica, one stupid peasant with an axe can kill you with 2, 3 hits.

Myself, I prefer using a sword for the higher range and the better speed - but especially against armoured oponents, axes are deadly.

Thank you for the answers.  :smile: I will give axes a try, there may be mechanics that I don't understand.

Changing npc textures (faces) seems to be much more complicated than I thought. It is not possible with the tweak tool (or I'm too dumb to see it). I downloaded the module system and will try to understand it. But I have not much hope.  :mrgreen:

Concerning the bare feet I'm fine with what you wrote. That usually the poor people more often went barefoot and the better off not seems probable. There is even an old Irish rule book that says that a respected person never should go barefoot (but strange that you need a rule book to tell you about such things when being uncommon?). A lot of old shoes were found by archeologists in the Irish and Pictish area. But we see also a lot of persons with weapons, even riders on horse, depicted with bare feet in contemporary art. Not every time it can be easily explained with christian iconography. Maybe in war even wealthier people don't listen to rule books? Later on we have reports about the Scots often walking and fighting barefoot. If you ever wore reproductions of ancient leather shoes without nailed soles on wet grass when fighting, you really understand why going with bare feet might be preferrable. I don't live in Ireland or Scotland but I know from several visits that it is a) grassy and b) sometimes a little bit wet in some parts of the countries.  :wink:

i prefer to use one handed axe above sword, that is when i am not emptying my large bag of fire arrows against the opponents.
i found that i lost my sword quite often, the axe never failed me yet.

Back
Top Bottom