MP Chamber blocking is non-functional

Users who are viewing this thread

In Bannerlord chambering mechanic is realistic because our weapons should collide to each other. But we don't have enough control on animations to make them collide. From Warband I am used to fast blocking and in Bannerlord doing fast blocks makes your animations useless at defending. Not allowing fast blocking with this realistic feature that our weapons should collide is a really good improvement. I started to condition myself to learn this animation based system. When it comes to chambering in Bannerlord you cannot be successful by learning animations and you cannot make your hand move to the enemy's weapon because the animations are bad. To fix this issue Taleworlds can do a lot of things but all solutions change the combat mechanics a lot and will imbalance other things or sacrifice realism too much. Good luck Taleworlds :smile:

The "bad" animation actually makes chambers less likely to happen in ways that look natural and realistic (i.e. when both players are directly facing each other). Most chambers I see in Bannerlord happen in very bizarre and improbable ways, since the range at which they can occur is increased to awkward angles, due to the fact that it's based on weapon collision. I consider this approach to chambers actually less imaginative, since making them occur by the weapons physically colliding seems like the most straightforward and naive approach. I'd imagine most developers out there would try it this way before they tried any other method. On paper it might seem like the most logical (if you take no consideration for practicality in gameplay). But never mind the realism (in a mode where you have matchmaking, healthbars and shields that vanish after several hits) anyway. The responsiveness of controls, functionality of gameplay and the fun-factor are of greater importance. The current mechanic seems better suited to a mildly amusing tech demo than a thoroughly commendable MP game.

I think that chambering could be easier if the attack direction changes in a fluid manner (with mouse, like in KCD), I think there's even a mod for it. That would probably break a thing or two and surely alter the combat feeling, but it could help with chambering, at least with picking the counter attack direction. TBH, I always wanted more fluid combat in M&B, both for blocking and attacking. I know it's more about the animation itself, but maybe it would ease up the direction part and reduce timing complexity. I think of the scenario, when players are approaching, attacker feints, changes direction, attacks, defender must do a quick block, pick a right direction and counter attack with perfect timing. Maybe switching attack directions just by mouse could allow defender to react faster on direction and focus more on timing to do a proper chamber. I guess I'd need to test this more with the mod and without, right now I'm just wondering.

Last edited:
So how is it going about chambering attacks? I'm new to this but I recently played warband "SP" just to look how chambering works there and I must admit that the time window is longer cause of the slow animation, while in bannerlord it is just... luck? For real any chamber I tried where luck, I don't understand thalem in bl.

So how is it going about chambering attacks? I'm new to this but I recently played warband "SP" just to look how chambering works there and I must admit that the time window is longer cause of the slow animation, while in bannerlord it is just... luck? For real any chamber I tried where luck, I don't understand thalem in bl.
Nobody does intentional chambers in Bannerlord. Whoever says otherwise, is a liar. Chambers are currently rng mechanic that favours spamming left mouse button.

I think that should change for bann
Nobody does intentional chambers in Bannerlord. Whoever says otherwise, is a liar. Chambers are currently rng mechanic that favours spamming left mouse button.
I would be happy if they would change that, even if that means to slow down the animation. I think always that a option that adds variety and skill is better as loosing an option to interact with the world..

I really hope that chamber blocking won't be some sort of niche like shield bashing and bracing is right now, it would be really cool if it was something as commonplace as feinting, kicking and blocking in fights are.

I practiced chamber blocking (guided by Spartan Gaming's video tutorial) using the tutorial trainers for 2 hours in 1.6.1 and I went from random chance to maybe 8% successful CBs on vertical strikes, 2% on horizontal, and 0% on stabs, all using 2H polearm. Also, I seem to take full damage on parries that are not CBs, which disincentives even attempting the maneuver. Now this is kinda overly difficult for a video game when this is one of a very few -- what else: kick, shield bash, running, attacking, and blocking? -- controllable melee combat maneuvers.

Regarding realism, this general type of receive is one of the first intermediate-advanced maneuvers (that is, after becoming proficient in the beginner stuff) you would learn in any weapon art. (The maneuver that's insanely difficult to master or even do correctly is where you parry/receive and hit in the same forward motion). It's fundamental enough that I'm glad it's worked into the mechanics when so much is abstracted away, but it really should be more accessible to characters who begin the game already knowing how to swing a sword, draw a bow, etc. with reasonable competence (all nontrivial tasks -- we clearly do not start with a novice).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom