Chad Warband vs. Virgin Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

For me it is the other way round lol. I think it depends a bit what you play the game for. The combat or the roleplaying/strategy part. The later is better in WB, the former profits of the better graphics, sound and animations of BL. However I have to say whilst I can see the merit of some combat changes like for exemple the ability of horses to push infantry aside (friend or enemy) and multiple block directions for shields, the fact that it is this unbalanced and akward in parts makes it unplayable for me.

Also, BL has larger battle sizes, a more modern UI, more epic looking sieges (although i'm still waiting for siege AI fix... lol)
And I also like the idea of perks, smithing, trading, etc, but more balancing is needed.

It's true that I care less about the roleplaying aspect - in warband i always felt it was a pain to take walks through villages just to find a guy to talk to, and i would rarely read long dialogues and stuff like that.

The fact is after 10 years of development with a dev size 10 times the size that of Warband, and the whole formula already worked out and countless popular mods to draw inspiration from. Bannerlord should've knocked Warband out of the park!

The fact is after 10 years of development with a dev size 10 times the size that of Warband, and the whole formula already worked out and countless popular mods to draw inspiration from. Bannerlord should've knocked Warband out of the park!
It really is amazing, no inspiration from mods of any kind. Just rinse and repeat wars and very sterile alternative gameplay. The worst thing about it is the super fragile complex economy which influences the immersive quality of the player minimally.

Last edited:
The worst thing about it the super fragile complex economy which influences the immersive quality of the player minimally.
That was my pet peeve in Warband after going through the (complex) code.
I'm not a barbarian, but simple and transparent food and goods generation unaffected by caravans or villagers or whatever, would be stable and intuitive. You could slap temporary price hikes based on events or long-term price adjustments based on workshops, but that's it, no overly complex mechanics would push your town into a death spiral. This is another thing that no one asked for, but someone in TW has a thing about complex models for their own sake.

I'm not a barbarian, but simple and transparent food and goods generation unaffected by caravans or villagers or whatever, would be stable and intuitive. You could slap temporary price hikes based on events or long-term price adjustments based on workshops, but that's it, no overly complex mechanics would push your town into a death spiral. This is another thing that no one asked for, but someone in TW has a thing about complex models for their own sake.
Honestly this is the only thing I might disagree on. I quite like the way it is currently done. In theory of course. Some things could be polished and adjusted for the health of an average playthrough

I keep abandoning Bannerlord for Warband for the overall depth and content. The clumsiness of the combat isn't even enough to dissuade me from returning to it and sticking with Bannerlord, because the later just has no soul for me to be attached to. I'd imagine this will change with the likes of heavy duty over-haul mods, but even if Bannerlord does the combat mechanic in a "better" way (better = not as outdated) I do not consider it merit enough to continue over Warband.

I keep abandoning Bannerlord for Warband for the overall depth and content. The clumsiness of the combat isn't even enough to dissuade me from returning to it and sticking with Bannerlord, because the later just has no soul for me to be attached to. I'd imagine this will change with the likes of heavy duty over-haul mods, but even if Bannerlord does the combat mechanic in a "better" way (better = not as outdated) I do not consider it merit enough to continue over Warband.
I have reached the same conclusion sadly.

It really is amazing, no inspiration from mods of any kind. Just rinse and repeat wars and very sterile alternative gameplay. The worst thing about it is the super fragile complex economy which influences the immersive quality of the player minimally.
SO MUCH THIS

Have you noticed how - on starting a new game - major towns start immediately heading into a death spiral because their food production doesn't match their prosperity level? And don't even get me started on how a town not having ANY food has zero effect on their ability to withstand sieges.

I'm all for a complex and dynamic economic system as long as somebody looks at it once a year or even playests it at all to realize that it needs a good whack with the balancing stick.

Have you noticed how - on starting a new game - major towns start immediately heading into a death spiral because their food production doesn't match their prosperity level? And don't even get me started on how a town not having ANY food has zero effect on their ability to withstand sieges.
Yes and the poorer ones (who have low prosperity) also start with not enough herth to feed it's self and the AI doesn't know to make orchards 1st.
I'm all for rebels as a check to factions over extending but having towns start set up to fail doesn't make any sense (how did the town come to exist if it can't eat?). Of course it's not even spread out fairly. I never saw any Khuzait towns rebel but towns like lageta, sargoth and Omar and a few others seem to always be set to likely tank loyalty from lack of food super early. If they want to have each of the more powerful faction have a problem town at the start that's an okay idea, but not the empires or sturgia, they're already in a bad situation in the game. Also the rebels get a full grainer when they spawn, it's useful if it's a large grainer and you defeat them before it runs out, but it's also silly that the whole thing is cause by no food and they magically have food....

I know there is some idea that caravans should be required for enough food for the towns, but I don't like it. Unless we can proactively arrange for caravans and guards to bring in as much food as we need, it's juts annoying. Anything I can't interact with I don't want to be punished by. I want to spend money and use troops to just build farms if I can afford it and or send specials supply caravans and such.

And don't even get me started on how a town not having ANY food has zero effect on their ability to withstand sieges.
Maybe back in 1.5.7 but Mexxico went back and undid the nerf to starvation.
Now it is straightforward to starve out towns, even the low prosperity ones.
I never saw any Khuzait towns rebel but towns like lageta, sargoth and Omar and a few others seem to always be set to likely tank loyalty from lack of food super early. If they want to have each of the more powerful faction have a problem town at the start that's an okay idea, but not the empires or sturgia, they're already in a bad situation in the game.
That's because prosperity eats more of the food than other factors and Empire towns have unusually high prosperity (they kept getting boosted) while most of the Khuzait towns are ****holes except for for Makeb and Chaikand, which have a few grain and fish villages.

Sturgia though, I mentioned that swapping that northern fish village to horses hurt one of their towns but he never replied. So I assume his mind is made up that Sturgia gets two horse villages, despite those being the sone of the worst for death spiraling towns because they produce sumpters which get consumed into a prosperity boost (more food required) but provide no additional food to offset it.

When you really deep it the only thing Bannerlord actually offers long time Warband players right now is improved graphics and higher troop counts, I can't think of much else actually worth playing Bannerlord for

If you get frustrated by Bannerlords state; view it as a comedy, not a tragedy. :cool:

chadwarband.jpg
Virgin bannerlord kick and slash vs chad warband fist chambers

When you really deep it the only thing Bannerlord actually offers long time Warband players right now is improved graphics and higher troop counts, I can't think of much else actually worth playing Bannerlord for
Yep, sadly this is true:

No diplomacy
No war counsel
No feasts
No spear walls that work or actual formations that are cohesive
5-8 minute siege battles that are not any better than WBs
No freelancer mode
Smithing is a terrible add, mind numbingly boring crafting till you unlock your parts you need
No connection to the NPCs in game outside of endless spam battles
Wanderer NPCs are same generic builds over and over pretending to be "new", it's worse than warband's
I don't know if I have seen a 45$ dollar game with worse writing/campaign than this
Prison break is inferior to Warband's
Rebellions are a vapid and shallow feature
Keep battles will be a mess of command-less arcade clipping fun in close quarters which is horrible in this game
You can marry the daughter of an empress with no money or a place to live
Terrible mid to late game appeal for the player...
Pointless high end armor that offers little protection from a pebble

Some People are in denial about how bad this game is. It's a bad game, I really think they just can't fathom Bannerlord being a flop.

But the intro video lol.... ? ? :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited:
Yep, sadly this is true:

No diplomacy
No war counsel
No feasts
No spear walls that work or actual formations that are cohesive
5-8 minute siege battles that are not any better than WBs
No freelancer mode
Smithing is a terrible add, mind numbingly boring crafting till you unlock your parts you need
No connection to the NPCs in game outside of endless spam battles
Wanderer NPCs are same generic builds over and over pretending to be "new", it's worse than warband's
I don't know if I have seen a 45$ dollar game with worse writing/campaign than this
Prison break is inferior to Warband's
Rebellions are a vapid and shallow feature
Keep battles will be a mess of command-less arcade clipping fun in close quarters which is horrible in this game
You can marry the daughter of an empress with no money or a place to live
Terrible mid to late game appeal for the player...
Pointless high end armor that offers little protection from a pebble

Some People are in denial about how bad this game is. It's a bad game, I really think they just can't fathom Bannerlord being a flop.

But the intro video lol.... ? ? :LOL: :LOL:
While you mention smithing, I remember that in an old video where smithing was first showcased you actually had to go to the blacksmith and order a sword of your choosing and design. I think that it would make a much better feature than the smelting grind we currently have. Thats why the blacksmith and bellows are included as interactable in the town scenes, but are actually useless. Just as much as the "merchant notary" npc. You see him writing in his book by the shop workers but cant ask him any advice whatsoever.

While you mention smithing, I remember that in an old video where smithing was first showcased you actually had to go to the blacksmith and order a sword of your choosing and design. I think that it would make a much better feature than the smelting grind we currently have. Thats why the blacksmith and bellows are included as interactable in the town scenes, but are actually useless. Just as much as the "merchant notary" npc. You see him writing in his book by the shop workers but cant ask him any advice whatsoever.
Exactly. Ordering a sword from a skillfull swordsmith is much more in line with the roleplaying aspect of the game than the "craft your own sword" option. I think TW did this to get on the crafting bandwaggon which seems quite popular in recent games. I think this is another exemple of TW not understanding their own game.

Exactly. Ordering a sword from a skillfull swordsmith is much more in line with the roleplaying aspect of the game than the "craft your own sword" option. I think TW did this to get on the crafting bandwaggon which seems quite popular in recent games. I think this is another exemple of TW not understanding their own game.
Well I hope they bring that back, at least while being a king or a lord, even though it would make sense for anyone who makes enough money (so a kingdomless merchant could also have a really expensive custom weapon). Same goes for the other discontinued npcs

Back
Top Bottom