Center pivot point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, is there a way to place pivot point in center of object in OpenBRF?
I'm working on new scene props for my Crimean War mod, fortifications in that time were made of gabions and sandbags, so mesh of fortification has many polygons, so I need many LODs for that mesh. But when I import mesh into OpenBRF, it's pivot point (point, around which object rotates) is somehow very far away from the mesh. Levels of distance are calculated from pivot point, so in game player sees only LOD, when standing near the object.
If I understand it right, I must place my object in zero coordinates first, and only then exporting, but mesh I'm exporting is a part of big fortification, so I'll need to place in zero coordinates each smaller part of it (I divided that big fortification into smaller parts, so I can make LODs for each part, to lower CPU load), which is not conveniently. So I wonder, maybe in OpenBRF there is an option to place object in zero coordinates or to place pivot point into the center of object?

I have only centred objects manually in openbrf.
1. Clean redundant vertices & positions or these will falsify the objects dimensions & centre
2. Use get dimensions to calculate the midpoint of each axis
3. Use rotate rescale to move the midpoint of each axis to zero - in my version of openbrf I have to move Y to change Z & visa versa.

Thank you for your answer :smile:
I think, just select objects in 3Ds Max and change their coordinates to zero is easier, but your method can be useful, thanks:smile:

Actually, it is easy to recenter the mesh in OpenBRF.
Just use the "roto-translate-rescale" tool.

To set the correct translation, just use the icons on the right.
E.g. if you want to center the pivot point horizontally,
use the "center" icon on X and Z (they look like this: [|] ).
If you want the mesh to just touch the ground,
then use the "minimum" icon on Y (it looks like this:  |[ ] ).
You can retouch these choices by pushing the object a bit left/right (X), up/down (Y), near/far (Z), using the arrow or entering values.

Be aware that the center/minimum/maximum are computed with respect to all selected objects. So for example if you have a combined object, select all its part before you "roto-translate-rescale" them.

Too see where the pivot point is, make sure floor is activated (in mod panel) and look for that little gray dot in the center of the grid.

Back
Top Bottom