Cavalry skirmishers

Users who are viewing this thread

Piédalf

Sergeant at Arms
I heard that in early medieval times, celtic and saxon cavalry was only skirmish cavalry that can come in melee against disbanded units. Only franks and byzantines had cavalry shock troops (heavy cav.).
In the game cavalry seems to be weak at skismishing and irish have pretty good heavy cavalry (same as franks).

Should that point be reworked, adding more speed bonus to cavalry's javelins? They should also get a new comportment, dodging contact with other units.

Piédalf said:
I heard that in early medieval times, celtic and saxon cavalry was only skirmish cavalry that can come in melee against disbanded units. Only franks and byzantines had cavalry shock troops (heavy cav.).
In the game cavalry seems to be weak at skismishing and irish have pretty good heavy cavalry (same as franks).

Should that point be reworked, adding more speed bonus to cavalry's javelins? They should also get a new comportment, dodging contact with other units.

Yeah its too hard to control cav, it would be nice if they would automatically circle enemies until they ran out of ranged weapons. But usually if they charge into a unit they just get stuck and then they are dead. They should be able to circle enemies in melee also and kill the warriors on the ends of formations rather than charging like sheep to their doom. Straight into the centre of an infantry group.

I´d be careful about trying to make skirmish cavalry run away from melee combat. Although it´s a realistic behavior it can also be an extremely annoying one (anyone who has faced mounted archers in 1257AD knows what I´m talking about) unless they have a proper counter. Otherwise you might have to spend several minutes just chasing 3 or 4 idiots on horse at the end of most battles, which is neither fun nor realistic.

That could be balanced by the fact they don't carry much javelins. When out of javelins they should come in melee

Aethelflaed said:
Articulo34 said:
anyone who has faced mounted archers in 1257AD knows what I´m talking about

oh yes... takes you up to two hours to bring a few of those ones down....

I repeat: when getting out of javelins cavalry should stop avoiding units...

Piédalf said:
Aethelflaed said:
Articulo34 said:
anyone who has faced mounted archers in 1257AD knows what I´m talking about

oh yes... takes you up to two hours to bring a few of those ones down....

I repeat: when getting out of javelins cavalry should stop avoiding units...

Good idea but i doubt they will have enough time before RE

Indeed, the problem is not really for player's units since you can control your cav with the minimap. The issue is that IA always sends it's cavalry on your shieldwall, and then they get slaugthered...

Piédalf said:
Indeed, the problem is not really for player's units since you can control your cav with the minimap. The issue is that IA always sends it's cavalry on your shieldwall, and then they get slaugthered...

Ive always found M&B ranged cav to be a pain, even when your controlling them. I normally just tell them to follow me a place them that way, you have to wait until late battle until you can join the fight, so may as well watch a shower of jav's fall into the vikings back  :twisted: Then me and my elite companions cav run them down like dogs :twisted:

Tbf its one of the few tactics that can compete with the fury of the Norse in a fair fight and soon they will have the berserkers  :shock:

I use quite a lot of cavalery, but with battle 100+ man, there is only 20 of then, rest is infantry

I think, I find good tactic for battle:
1. order cavalery to follow me and using minimap ride them on a side of anemy, now it's depend how strong they are - if strong I let them see us, so they start turning to face me
2. infantry just charging and in halfway I oredered them to make a shieldwall and move them very close to anemy then charge them - they usually spread in two - ones facing cavalery and others infantry...
3. lead cavalery on rear of the anemies and the battle is yours :smile:

Back
Top Bottom