Cavalry problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

They cant hit a barn door with their spears, they dont stay in formation, they run into each other, they circle around other cav like retards instead of just swinging their sword at the enemy that is literally right in front of them.

Sometimes i wonder that the only damage they are doing is charge damage. Charge damage is sooooo low imho. i know that making it higher would make cav op, which makes me wonder why horses are SOOOO cheap compared to armor that costs half a mil... ? nothing makes sense...

Also can foot soldiers please stop chasing after cavalry? The way cav works now is that it gives a little bit of damage to a ton of troops that it charges through, and all of those troops seem SO OBLIGED to now chase after that horseman that they have zero chance of catching, instead of turning towards it and trying to hit it when it's charging them. It is so annoying when they clearly cant catch it, but they are going to try anyway, breaking formation and turning back to troops that they actually are in range of.

Yep its a pain but until its fixed what i do when it starts to happen is to reform my troops in line again this will call them all back once most are there then send them to attack again. F3 F6

Druzhinniks are really good, they can hit not just barn doors, at least when it comes to chasing running looters, but overall cavalry AI is ridiculously stupid. The thing that drives me crazy the most, is their teetering-board fighting style. Like speed up, hit, ride away, turn back, speed up, hit, ride away and again, and again, and again... and when those hits miss, you feel like watching an Uwe Boll movie in its worst meaning...

Yes, I'd like to add to the topic by confirming that cavalry AI is a bit weird at the moment.
It doesn't trouble me much, because after setting up my hordes of archers and what little infantry I have I usually lead the cavalry into skirmishes myself, but if I fall the resulting charge is always a mess and somewhat disheartening to see the stupidity of my cavalry.

They must think the 1 handers on horseback don't work right too. Hitting with a spear after you've slowed down sucks and hitting with sidearm is almost impossible without getting right up in the enemy's face and bending over as far as you can. It's no wonder cav has such a hard time.
I really think there's problem with the release of attacks from horseback but it's been complained about ever since beta and they didn't change it.
For now I use a small amount of cav and keep the on fallow me and attack archers from behind sometime charging them at the archers and then calling them back. They still suck but the archers getting all flustered and walking back and forth when closed in on makes it even out.

They must think the 1 handers on horseback don't work right too. Hitting with a spear after you've slowed down sucks and hitting with sidearm is almost impossible without getting right up in the enemy's face and bending over as far as you can. It's no wonder cav has such a hard time.
I really think there's problem with the release of attacks from horseback but it's been complained about ever since beta and they didn't change it.
This is very noticeable with swinging polearms but happens with other weapons too. The attacks simply don't go where you aim them, the animations are awful. I mean the animations themselves aren't bad but they do not match up with where you are looking. The swings go much lower than where you aim, so if you are looking at your target expecting the swing to go there, you will often miss completely. You have to aim well above someone's head to hit them in the chest.

Same with polearms on foot, if you aim a thrust at someone's head it will go into their groin. There's also this part of the animation that moves your head lower, very jarring to have the game change where you are aiming. This really should not happen, if the animation moves your head lower it should also tilt upwards to compensate so that it is still aiming at the same spot.

All this makes the combat feel really clunky and causes you to miss a lot of attacks unexpectedly. When I started consciously aiming a lot higher than I normally should I stopped missing as much, but man it feels weird to not aim at your target, it's very unnatural.

My cavalry are all kill-stealing stat whores who deliberately get in my way when I'm farming routers for skill points :smile:

Agree a bit, the calvary is not optimized right out of the box, requires micro management (charge, reorgroup, charge again...) but in the actual state of the game if they buff the AI or the charge damage, cavalry will be overwhelming. It causes also morale damage and the armies right now are full of non experienced recruits very easy to scare.

In my opinion even with a weird AI cavalry is an amazing asset BUT if you only charge once they will be slaughtered once surrounded..

Druzhinniks are really good, they can hit not just barn doors, at least when it comes to chasing running looters, but overall cavalry AI is ridiculously stupid. The thing that drives me crazy the most, is their teetering-board fighting style. Like speed up, hit, ride away, turn back, speed up, hit, ride away and again, and again, and again... and when those hits miss, you feel like watching an Uwe Boll movie in its worst meaning...
yes i agree i have a couple of each units of cavalry and these are always the ones to get the most kills

Cavalry is OP in the game right now, not sure what problems do you have with it. It's AI is also better then in Warband as it tries to charge target and then try to get out to get some distance for another pass. In Warband it often got stuck in the infantry blob trying to swing their sword or spear.

They do have some problems hitting target that is running from behind. I did notice that they sometimes miss. Interestingly they re more accurate when approaching from other angles.

You also need to use F6 and F1-F4 commands because if you tell you men to just charge, they will be each men on his own. That goes for infantry too.

Back
Top Bottom