Cavalry Menavlions

Users who are viewing this thread

So uhm are horse menvlions will be removed some day?
They are broken thing from start of EA but for some reason they kinda never been even nerfed
With lance on courser class is already ok, i would love tho return of ash-throwing spear or javelins
And giving them long paramerion instead spatha (like other light-cavalrymen got their) will help them out and force players to use this absolutely underrated weps
or at least remove slashing from menavlion on horseback it will kinda make the whole difference

Woah! Like, sick menav dude!

You rode by that guy and did 204 swing damage! Far out brah!

It must take like, radical skills to be able to use menavlion on horseback.

Are you like, a pro or something brah?

yeah this is definitely one of the easiest ways to get loads of kills. In casual game-modes this is horrible. Honestly I don't see why these sorts of polearms can be swing from horseback. polearms are for stabbing from hb, onehanders are for swinging imo. Far better balance and harder to pull off.
Not to mention the fact that menavlions can hit on both sides of the horse with both swing directions, should be fixed ASAP.

Menav and Glaive on horseback is a god damn disgrace lol. Nerf hammer this crap to the ground ASAP.
Yeah glaive is kinda unrealistic, but i actually find it somewhat balanced thing on lancer (high price, much lower speed than a courser and lesser reach/worse thrust, also no shock inf on khuzaits so this guy is not that bad), tho i would like to see it on khuzait spear infantry (perk that changes shield/spear to glaive, akin voulger but inversive) instead

Yeah glaive is kinda unrealistic, but i actually find it somewhat balanced thing on lancer (high price, much lower speed than a courser and lesser reach/worse thrust, also no shock inf on khuzaits so this guy is not that bad), tho i would like to see it on khuzait spear infantry (perk that changes shield/spear to glaive, akin voulger but inversive) instead
I've always kind of thought this would make more sense. Heavy Archers in Bannerlord are a bizarre animal. Khan's Guards have almost no drawbacks, they're one of the best ranged units, extremely heavy armor, with one of the best melee weapons. They're kind of slow, but can still outrun a lot of heavies in situ, and have no reason to run from anything else because they'll just win a melee with them. If hammer savages can get to them they stand a chance, but it is definitely not a given.
Spear infantry are a mildly good heavy infantry, but giving them the option to ditch Spears + Shield for a (NERFED) Glaive would be an interesting choice. It'd be fun to see Glaives taken off of Khan's and see how they do.

I'd love to see any historical reference to a hewing spear being used in this swinging manner by European horsemen. I'm aware there's a variant of the Menavlion that may have been a Cavalry weapon, but I'm not aware of any weapon in the Dark Ages used in this manner. It is my understanding you normally didn't do this because if the weapon strikes a helmet or shield, or embeds in an opponent, it could be taken out of your hands and you're now down to your sidearms. I thought a lot of the design and discipline of Eastern-style cavalry Naginata/Glaives was shaping them so they did not get lodged in enemies, but the menavlion has none of these qualities.

Also huge fan of Empire in general, just don't think these guys make the game any more enjoyable or interesting. Giving them an option to take a superior Paramerion sword + Shield would be more interesting than the Menav, to me, or a low-ammo bow option.

Last edited:
As I have said before, the menavlion on horseback and the way it is represented in the game; it is an absolute aberration. That said, the glaive for khuzait has a point of historical plausibility.

But, this weapon would definitely have to be toned down:

1. Much less damage than the current one
2. Swing angle (much narrower, forcing you to be more cautious and precise in your strikes). Check this out:

Applicable to any polearm that allows swinging action on horseback. For more info see this thread.

As I have said before, the menavlion on horseback and the way it is represented in the game; it is an absolute aberration. That said, the glaive for khuzait has a point of historical plausibility.

2. Swing angle (much narrower, forcing you to be more cautious and precise in your strikes). Check this out:

Applicable to any polearm that allows swinging action on horseback. For more info see this thread.

Oof. Solid suggestion, would solve a lot of problems with insane death arcs on the glaive.

Eventually led me to these videos:

Good discussion on the same subject.

The menaulion or menavlion (Greek: μεναύλιον), also menaulon or menavlon (μέναυλον) was a heavy spear with a length of 2.7 to 3.6 metres[1] with a thick shaft, used by the Byzantine infantry as early as the 10th century AD, against enemy heavy cavalry.

So says Wikipedia. Apparently it was solely used against cav as it was too heavy to fight infantry.

The menaulion or menavlion (Greek: μεναύλιον), also menaulon or menavlon (μέναυλον) was a heavy spear with a length of 2.7 to 3.6 metres[1] with a thick shaft, used by the Byzantine infantry as early as the 10th century AD, against enemy heavy cavalry.

So says Wikipedia. Apparently it was solely used against cav as it was too heavy to fight infantry.

well yeah look at this boi and say you can use it on horseback :razz:

yeah this is definitely one of the easiest ways to get loads of kills. In casual game-modes this is horrible. Honestly I don't see why these sorts of polearms can be swing from horseback. polearms are for stabbing from hb, onehanders are for swinging imo. Far better balance and harder to pull off.
Not to mention the fact that menavlions can hit on both sides of the horse with both swing directions, should be fixed ASAP.
I just hunt these guys down with Javs till they say they will report me lmao

I just hunt these guys down with Javs till they say they will report me lmao
Yeah, this wasn't such a problem in the days of headshotting horses with throwing axes or the dreaded 2 Pila Legionnaires. Or when archers could take spears. We took everything away from infantry to defend against this and get surprised when it is abused.

a bump for removal of cavalry menavlions from game, not the glaives tho they just need lesser swing arc like this guy said

Back
Top Bottom