Cavalry is overpowered

Is Cavalry OP?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

The fact that archers are OP should not stop the nerf hammer on Cavalry. Archers are shooting like guns and horses are tanks. Both must be nerfed.

You appear to have come to the conclusion I don't think cavalry should be nerfed, despite me having a post from over a year and a half ago asking for that and me re-iterating that point now. If cavalry can be punished in more ways, particularly with things like infantry being able to hit both the rider and the horse in one swing (as they can in Warband), with longer rear time and a longer time to stand up, as well as nerfs to their potential output by reducing the speed modifier in MP and the length of full knockdowns, I think you create a situation in which the gameplay is more skill-based rather than simply flat decreasing horse HP.

You appear to have come to the conclusion I don't think cavalry should be nerfed, despite me having a post from over a year and a half ago asking for that and me re-iterating that point now. If cavalry can be punished in more ways, particularly with things like infantry being able to hit both the rider and the horse in one swing (as they can in Warband), with longer rear time and a longer time to stand up, as well as nerfs to their potential output by reducing the speed modifier in MP and the length of full knockdowns, I think you create a situation in which the gameplay is more skill-based rather than simply flat decreasing horse HP.

"I dont think they should be nerf" and then proceed to propose a bunch of nerfs ? Make up your mind lol. They need nerf no matter the method. I can name 10 things off the top of my head that needs to be nerfed on cavalry.

Even if Cavalry does need nerfing, I'm still under the mindset that mounted combat should have specific game mechanics in place to screw over archers. The mental image i have is that in an archer vs cavalry fight, the archer will have to either aim for the head or switch to an infantry class in an ideal situation.

"I dont think they should be nerf" and then proceed to propose a bunch of nerfs ? Make up your mind lol. They need nerf no matter the method. I can name 10 things off the top of my head that needs to be nerfed on cavalry.

Yikes you are one dense mother ****er. Gibby is agreeing with you, leave it at that.

Cleave through on horses would be nice, but as of right now cav is in a good spot, we are at the point of being nit picky on cav balance when we should be looking at buffs to inf or spears. The patch that came out today did change spears up, so there is no point in arguing when we still have to figure out if this patch did what it needed to against cav.

Cav needs a nerf.

For starters bump stabbing is just too easy and risk-free. There needs to be a higher speed requirement for a player to be bumped.

Horses are too tanky, horses should have a total of 125 for normal horses and 150for tougher horses. At the end a horse should not survive 2-3 throwing spears. 275 health horses are too tanky and strong
The rearing glitch needs to stop.
Shield limitations need to be implemented on cavalry
Cavalry players should not be able to hold shields when they are trying to get up after being unhorsed
hooked spears should be a thing
spears on horses must experience the same distance debuffs infantry experience when a horse is hugging the inf player

Bump stabbing is much much harder in banner lord then it is in warband. The speed requirement in warband is basically a trot.
That is fair, but also in Warband horses did not run 270 health + 40- 50 armor. This made Warband bump stabbing is riskier as it runs the risk of being unhorsed, now a player can just come to you and stab you regardless of how hard you try to counter the rider or horse. This is very evident when I the player hits the horses head with 30-40 damage with a spear and the rider is completely unfazed and just proceeds to bumpstab me regardless. I remember in warband horses had 100-165 health and if tickled they died.

That is fair, but also in Warband horses did not run 270 health + 40- 50 armor. This made Warband bump stabbing is riskier as it runs the risk of being unhorsed, now a player can just come to you and stab you regardless of how hard you try to counter the rider or horse. This is very evident when I the player hits the horses head with 30-40 damage with a spear and the rider is completely unfazed and just proceeds to bumpstab me regardless. I remember in warband horses had 100-165 health and if tickled they died.

Agree but cav need bump stabs in order to be threatening to aware players, otherwise their kill potential is limited to backstabs, so it makes more sense to nerf cav in the ways you identify (tankyness) than to nerf bumpstabs.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to summarise my idea and why I voted "no". It's simply because I fully agree with what Namakan said earlier.

I'd argue that cav in itself is fine, but it's interactions with other classes (read: infantry) are bad right now.

to fix:
  1. Stopping horses with spears needs to be more consistent (though there are some cases where it's biased in favor of infantry as well, which should be removed as well IMO).
  2. Onehanded weapons need to deal proper damage to horses
  3. Couched Lances need some adjustments (Cooldown, max duration of about 3-4 seconds, maybe reduce the horses maneuverability during)

the cavalry was much stronger in 1.4.3 because it had an increased acceleration capacity and therefore a higher speed and more important spear damage, but it was not the only powerful unit.

Now it is the only class that didn't really have such violent nerf as heavy infantry, 2h or archers.

I think what has changed is that infantry units just don't have the means to counter cavalry and archers anymore.(and fortunately, the developers are working to solve this problem.)

I don't think that nerf the cav will make the game more playable. Cav is the most worked out and interesting unit to play at the moment due to its developed mechanics. and it would be a shame to see this class reach the same fate as the infantry, i.e. to become null and void.

I am not saying that nerfs are not necessary (because they are necessary to balance the game as well as possible) but simply, some nerfs proposition completely distort this class and the goal is not to distort the game but to make it pleasant for ALL players whatever the class is

I am nevertheless confident with the next infantry boosts coming and I hope that the game will be rebalanced because yes, the cavalry dominates. not because it is "op" but simply because the heavy infantry class is destitute and very bad & unpleasant to play at a high level.

So I think that simply saying "the cavalry is OP" is just too simplistic an idea. For me it would be more like "heavy infantry sucks and needs to improve" so Let's start by improving the infantry, and it's started and it's very good and must continue to do so because I think that developers have understood what is at stake

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to summarise my idea and why I voted "no". It's simply because I fully agree with what Namakan said earlier.

the cavalry was much stronger in 1.4.3 because it had an increased acceleration capacity and therefore a higher speed and more important spear damage, but it was not the only powerful unit.

Now it is the only class that didn't really have such violent nerf as heavy infantry, 2h or archers.

I think what has changed is that infantry units just don't have the means to counter cavalry and archers anymore.(and fortunately, the developers are working to solve this problem.)

I don't think that nerf the cav will make the game more playable. Cav is the most worked out and interesting unit to play at the moment due to its developed mechanics. and it would be a shame to see this class reach the same fate as the infantry, i.e. to become null and void.

I am not saying that nerfs are not necessary (because they are necessary to balance the game as well as possible) but simply, some nerfs proposition completely distort this class and the goal is not to distort the game but to make it pleasant for ALL players whatever the class is

I am nevertheless confident with the next infantry boosts coming and I hope that the game will be rebalanced because yes, the cavalry dominates. not because it is "op" but simply because the heavy infantry class is destitute and very bad & unpleasant to play at a high level.

So I think that simply saying "the cavalry is OP" is just too simplistic an idea. For me it would be more like "heavy infantry sucks and needs to improve" so Let's start by improving the infantry, and it's started and it's very good and must continue to do so because I think that developers have understood what is at stake
+1 to all this
So I think that simply saying "the cavalry is OP" is just too simplistic an idea. For me it would be more like "heavy infantry sucks and needs to improve"

???

the cavalry dominates. not because it is "op" but simply because the heavy infantry class is destitute and very bad & unpleasant to play at a high level.

Damn, it's quite literally the direct opposite. Inf is in a pretty good state right now, some melee tweaks and shield coverage notwithstanding. They are fast, heavily armoured, have a good selection of weapons, and can reliably be used in conjunction with viable multiple lives. You could definitely rejig the damage on swords so they do more damage, but these are tweaks.

You can't keep ignoring cav's issues and buffing inf. All you will end up with is both classes being broken. There is tonnes of room to nerf cav and still keep them viable.

Can we make horses just act more like living beings? E.g. They could try not to run into walls on their own but also shy away from pointy things on eye hight. A 0.2 second delay to player commands until the horse obeys would also work in that direction.

Also a chance of throwing off or at least stunning the rider when the horse is reared or hit for a lot of damage would be nice. A horse dieing in full gallop should also feel a bit more like a car crash without airbag to the rider.

You are all forgetting the key vision TW has for the game- the goal is to have 'peasants and knights' on the same battlefield. If you have peasants and knights on the same server, you're obviously going to have a power disparity. Balancing takes a backseat when you have a class specifically designed to be the "best" on the server. Knights (i.e. heavy cav) simply MUST be better than the other classes, or you start having issues with realism (weak virgin archer versus chad knight). Quit whining and either play the class yourself or just get used to dying to it.

Sarcasm aside, if TW isn't going to limit the ability of people on the server to play as the arguably op class (such as by instituting mandatory class limits or raising its gold cost to allow it only 1 spawn in skirmish, and requiring more kills in other modes), it needs to give tools to the other classes to allow them to more easily do damage against heavy armor horses, while not making those same weapons incredibly OP against light cav as well. Perhaps perk tweaking such as keeping mace damage the same against unarmored horses, but giving them a major damage buff against horse armor? Or giving archers an arrow perk which deals increased damage to horses, but is less effective against human players?

A very easy way to help balance cav is to have cav bump/knock down friendlies, this would solve a few issues with cav. There would be no more charging into group fights without possible consequences to your teammates. There is literally no downside to this, I don’t understand why it’s never mentioned by anyone.

Back
Top Bottom