Cavalry in this mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Heya. I don't know if I'm the only one who has noticed this, but isn't the cavalry in this mod alot more powerful than in pretty much any mod out there?

It might just be me, but pretty much all my usual countermeasures are nullified.

No jump-slashing.
Drop the spear when you stab them charging you,
Bracing stops them sometimes, sometimes don't.
Horses have alot, alot of hp.

I thought about it, and since the mod is made by polish developers, they might've buffed cavalry due to national pride of the polish cavalry, hm?

Do you think cavalry is fine as it is now, or is it too strong? Or too weak even?
Thoughts?

Hagbard said:
Drop the spear when you stab them charging you,

When horse charges you with full speed, do you think you can hold your weapon when you hit it with it?

Hagbard said:
No jump-slashing.

Oh, please... mod is aiming to be realistic...

Hagbard said:
Horses have alot, alot of hp.

Not more than in native.

Hagbard said:

Because sometimes you aim your pike well, and sometimes you don't.

Hagbard said:
Do you think cavalry is fine as it is now, or is it too strong? Or too weak even?
Thoughts?

It is just perfect for balance. The point is, never ever it could happen for a cavalryman to be stopped by a single infantryman. But, in opposite, try to beat through lines of 40 infantry with 40 cavalry. Barely possible.

So, imo, the cavalry in the Deluge is the more realistic I've ever seen in Mount and Blade series. It might be frustrating, but teamplay against those beasts always work. Kick your Native/MM mod habits. :wink:

Hey Ragemelon :grin:

Hagbard said:
I thought about it, and since the mod is made by polish developers, they might've buffed cavalry due to national pride of the polish cavalry, hm?

We don't need this flung out. It's like saying the Vikings in Vikingr are more powerful because the modders were a viking clan :razz: (Well, they were more powerful with the insane berserkrs :grin:)

Cavalry are fairly limited.

Hagbard said:

I think this is a bug actually. Was in a duel server and asked some chap to test it with me. I ran straight through his braced pike about 5 times taking no damage. So we swapped over and he actually took damage.

EDIT: Hmm that guy above me getting all passive aggresive defensive **** bro.

I'd understand if it was the intention of the developers to keep cavalry as the dominant force, but if realism is the issue, how would a horse survive 4 hits of a sword?

And I didn't mean any offense by bringing up the polish thing, I just thought it might be a reason. Swedes usually buff Sweden in games they make ^^

Hagbard said:
I'd understand if it was the intention of the developers to keep cavalry as the dominant force, but if realism is the issue, how would a horse survive 4 hits of a sword?

Not much we can do about that, if horses were 2-swords-hit, they'd die at one musket shot, what would probably make them useless.

Horses usually took high adrenaline boost when they were charging; it could keep them alive to the end of the battle.

And, for the last, I think you should not miss the contras for cavalry. I.e, you can easily knock the horseman off his saddle, without killing him. That's a pain in the ass for cavalry, even if you are tanky, you can end up on the ground surronded by pikemen.

Also, 100% of typical cavalry weps break after five minutes of the fight or eariler. :wink:

I think cav should be more easily killed by Pikemen.

If a horse runs into my braced pike, i drop it, the horse will usully survive and the rider can kill me off easily... That´t not how it worked in RL.

Hofiko said:
Hagbard said:

Not much we can do about that, if horses were 2-swords-hit, they'd die at one musket shot, what would probably make them useless.

Horses usually took high adrenaline boost when they were charging; it could keep them alive to the end of the battle.

And, for the last, I think you should not miss the contras for cavalry. I.e, you can easily knock the horseman off his saddle, without killing him. That's a pain in the ass for cavalry, even if you are tanky, you can end up on the ground surronded by pikemen.

Also, 100% of typical cavalry weps break after five minutes of the fight or eariler. :wink:

Hofiko I agree with you (believe it or not  :razz:) I remember reading an account from the battl of Lützen, when Adolphus died, he couldn't handle his horse because:
1 He was shot in his arm and the bone stuck out, couldn't ride and fight
2 His horse Streif was shot (still alive though as you said) and was hard to handle.

As one prefering cavalry the thing i hate most is actually fightig with infantry while the horse is stationary; the horse is very moblie while in gallop, but while stationary infatry can out manuver the horse.

Hagbard said:

And I didn't mean any offense by bringing up the polish thing, I just thought it might be a reason. Swedes usually buff Sweden in games they make ^^

I didn't know there were any swedish mods  :wink:

If developers buff their own nation because of some kind of miss directed patriotism they are imiture doesn't matter what nationality. That's my opinion  :wink: :wink: :wink:

matmannen said:
Hofiko said:
Hagbard said:

Hofiko I agree with you (believe it or not  :razz:) I remember reading an account from the battl of Lützen, when Adolphus died, he couldn't handle his horse because:
1 He was shot in his arm and the bone stuck out, couldn't ride and fight
2 His horse Streif was shot (still alive though as you said) and was hard to handle.

As one prefering cavalry the thing i hate most is actually fightig with infantry while the horse is stationary; the horse is very moblie while in gallop, but while stationary infatry can out manuver the horse.

Hagbard said:

I didn't know there were any swedish mods  :wink:

If developers buff their own nation because of some kind of miss directed patriotism they are imiture doesn't matter what nationality. That's my opinion  :wink: :wink: :wink:

Well amercians do it all the time in their games(im American). Main characters go the entire game without getting shot once while running through a hail of bullets. I just think thats ridiculous. I think the horses and their riders are fine in this. It helps break an area where your team is just holding down.

I haven't really noticed this. Horses do seem strong but they're not considerably more so than in Native and you, as a rider, aren't nearly as well protected AND you're up against guns and braced pikes. Your horse may live a bit longer but you can't pull off a truly devestating charge. :razz:

Especially not when your lance breaks, your estoc breaks and you get knocked off your horse. In that case it was an adrenaline-inducing and hilarious but futile charge. :razz:

I agree with the system of bracing being a hit and miss thing but i often see people trying to stab me when im well past there effective part of the pike. (The sharp end.)
It is getting quite frustrating to hear people on the server dismiss my good scores by saying its cause im playing as cavalry.
Ill agree riding away and shooting with pistols or a bow is a bit dodgy but hell its war, anything goes.
Remember having  heated discussion about this with a couple of regulars on the tawerna server.
Just remember, if the cavalry is kicking your butt look to your teamm8s. Cavalry is great for taking out individuals but if people would start and work together, pike & shot is ideal to stop any charge. (As long as the pikemen know how to kill cav...)

I have seen groups pulling it together and actually stopping and absolutley smashing cav by sticking together.

I always try to organise such groups. It's lovely to see cav circle you helplessly while you just stand there around some musketeers.

conclusion:

1 cav VS 1 footman =>cav

100 cav VS 100 footmen => footmen

I love that you made them look like a nationalists only because you lack the skill to stop horsemen, OP . :eek:  Just shoot the bugger off of the horse.  That said, horses do have too many hit points. It's just odd that I can stab an estoc so far into a charging horse that it breaks but without the horse being bothered by it.

And bracing does seem wonky at best. Only time I lost my horse to a braced pike was when I tried to retreat into our own position and one of our own pikemen swivelled to stop me, thinking me a Polish reiter rather than a Swedish one. :lol: I've also had people go straight at me and trample me even though I braced a pike at them. Luckily I hardly pike.

Aw come on. Can you read? He even said it might be a reason, and he said he meant no offense about the polish thing already.

The answer is, I don't know if horsemen are more powerful or not. I haven't played the mod yet. But you guys who always, always, always pretend that a human-made game is balanced like it is a divine thingy that has been published by the God; do make no sense at all.

I have seen lots of these things, mostly in crpg forum.
Someone says "is x is more powerful than y,z" and those guys say "no you fool, you just don't know how to use y and z"
Someone says "z seems a bit unbalanced. can you consider the balance issue?" and those guys say "You are a fool. z is far from being powerful."
Someone says "y is underpowered?" and those guys say "You're a nub, you can't even use y. Haha, go and practice nuub."
... And I don't even mention the irrelevant insults those guys make. Theres no need to give examples, the thread is with full of examples already. If you want, however, I would gladly point them out.

Master Ronin said:
Aw come on. Can you read? He even said it might be a reason, and he said he meant no offense about the polish thing already.
Yes, can you? I know he said it might have been a reason, I merely wanted to stress that it was rather absurd of him to even think it was a reason as all horses, not just Polish ones, are in that situation. I know he meant no offence, that's why he should be more careful with his phrasing. :grin:

Master Ronin said:

The answer is, I don't know if horsemen are more powerful or not. I haven't played the mod yet. But you guys who always, always, always pretend that a human-made game is balanced like it is a divine thingy that has been published by the God; do make no sense at all.

I have seen lots of these things, mostly in crpg forum.
Someone says "is x is more powerful than y,z" and those guys say "no you fool, you just don't know how to use y and z"
Someone says "z seems a bit unbalanced. can you consider the balance issue?" and those guys say "You are a fool. z is far from being powerful."
Someone says "y is underpowered?" and those guys say "You're a nub, you can't even use y. Haha, go and practice nuub."
... And I don't even mention the irrelevant insults those guys make. Theres no need to give examples, the thread is with full of examples already. If you want, however, I would gladly point them out.

thank you for shutting them up  :lol: :lol: :lol:

As someone already, mentioned for some reason pikes do not brace properly. Anyone know if this is a widespread bug and if the devs know the reason for?

General Awesome said:
As someone already, mentioned for some reason piles do not brace properly. Anyone know if this is a widespread bug and if the devs know the reason for?

You mean pikes, right? What's wrong with them? They should work fine. You just have to actually hit the horse's chest with the pointy end of the pike (and at right angle). :razz:

Back
Top Bottom