Cavalry and Bad Mechanics

Should Cav playhers be banned

• Yes (Forever)

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Yes (3 months)

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • No (I think couching people in the back is good gameplay)

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

In this time period, no good counters existed against cav. The English only used horse to transport to Hastings for example - big mistake. In the period of warband, pike formations became a viable counter. With Scottish and Flemish pikemen among others. So play Warband if you want a counter.

In this time period, no good counters existed against cav. The English only used horse to transport to Hastings for example - big mistake. In the period of warband, pike formations became a viable counter. With Scottish and Flemish pikemen among others. So play Warband if you want a counter.
..........but wouldn't that suggest to you that the Saxons didn't see cavalry as being useful???

..........but wouldn't that suggest to you that the Saxons didn't see cavalry as being useful???
And look what happened:
image-20161005-14227-1e7ovyz.jpg

And look what happened:
image-20161005-14227-1e7ovyz.jpg
That's what I'm saying lol.

There's not a horse in this picture.

Saxons lost because Godwinson took an arrow to dome and the heavy infantry were lured off the high ground.

Norman cavalry were terrified of the Saxon huscarls, because big angry armored dudes with 2h axes surrounded by other angry men with spears are a fine counter to cavalry.

Those frenchies got lucky.

Saxons lost because Godwinson took an arrow to dome and the heavy infantry were lured off the high ground.

Norman cavalry were terrified of the Saxon huscarls, because big angry armored dudes with 2h axes surrounded by other angry men with spears are a fine counter to cavalry.

220px-Bayeuxtapestryscene52.jpg

Their cav don't look terrified to me. No spearwall was able to stand to the might of the heavy horse charge.
I am certain that this piece, probably made on the order of the rich, noble cav, depicts the truth.

220px-Bayeuxtapestryscene52.jpg

Their cav don't look terrified to me. No spearwall was able to stand to the might of the heavy horse charge.
I am certain that this piece, probably made on the order of the rich, noble cav, depicts the truth.
I am beaten. Of course, the lowly peasant archers and footmen had nothing to do with the honorable victory of the noble horse elites, as we can clearly see.

The origin of the cav/inf player strife is of course the Bayeux Tapestry.

None of us are really sure how we feel about Skirmisher players.

But for real though, TW does seem to be pretty wish-washy on what time period this is supposed to be. I've seen many official statements saying this is AD500, but we've got Pavise shields and Norman-Style knights...so it is hard to say.
If this is meant to be like Fall Of Rome/Early Dark Ages, you'd think heavy infantry would be dominant, along with horse-archers. Some factions still use 4-point saddles, which you shouldn't be able to Couche-lance in?????

Last edited:

Actually

We're not 100% sure how he died but the arrow story is likely a latter addition to the tale. All early accounts indicate a melee.

But to be honest. The real reason is that cav is able to pick their targets. In skirmish you sooner or later have to to deal with the good players. In TDM you just leave the spearmen and find an easy target. Inf and archers spawn too far from each other. They can't fight enemies fast nor work find teammates to work together with. Map is too open and too big.

Compare for example Arena map in WB to BL TDM maps.

But to be honest. The real reason is that cav is able to pick their targets. In skirmish you sooner or later have to to deal with the good players. In TDM you just leave the spearmen and find an easy target. Inf and archers spawn too far from each other. They can't fight enemies fast nor work find teammates to work together with. Map is too open and too big.

Compare for example Arena map in WB to BL TDM maps.
Cav on skirmish is bearable because you can see what they picked and expect it, after all there's only likely to be 1/2 but in tdm at any second you could be couched from behind.

If cav are in the ground, infantry is at the middle of the earth
With more consistent bump stabs cav are better now than they've ever been in beta.
Cavalry are supposed to be stronger than infantry.
The reason they only "lance people in the back" is because every other viable cavalry playstyle has been nerfed to uselessness throughout development.

The greatest problem with cavalry is that it should cost a lot more than whatever Taleworlds is willing to make them cost in comparison to infantry so cavalry will never be balanced realistically, only based on gameplay.

Anyways that's my two cents, I'll leave the arguing to people who actually play multiplayer these days.

Cavalry are supposed to be stronger than infantry.
The reason they only "lance people in the back" is because every other viable cavalry playstyle has been nerfed to uselessness throughout development.

The greatest problem with cavalry is that it should cost a lot more than whatever Taleworlds is willing to make them cost in comparison to infantry so cavalry will never be balanced realistically, only based on gameplay.

Anyways that's my two cents, I'll leave the arguing to people who actually play multiplayer these days.

Disagree they're "supposed to be stronger". They're supposed to have great utility and damage, but high risk, the risks being getting reared, dismounted, or stuck.

Currently they are not high risk because rearing by infantry doesn't lead to death in most cases, dismounting is hard due to armour and cav health, and they don't get stuck due to pushing through infinite waves of foot troops and being able to glide over most obstacles at lightspeed.

They are too cheap though, I agree. Especially heavy cav.

Back
Top Bottom