• no

Votes: 17 20.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Ringwraith #5 said:
Sicnarf said:
the damm things can't get over a bridge
What're you talking about, cattle goes over bridges just fine. :???:

not sure if "just fine"...sometimes these emptyheaded cows don't get it to go straight over the bridge and turn around...

CTRL+SPACE really helps in cattle quests. Keep the cattle herd between you and the destination. Go behind the cattle herd and press and hold CTRL+SPACE for a while. They will move towards the destination really fast. You don't have to click left and right like crazy like I used to do to drive them towards the destination. :smile:

Ringwraith #5 said:
Sicnarf said:
the damm things can't get over a bridge
What're you talking about, cattle goes over bridges just fine. :???:

I kept trying to get them to go over the bridge but they just kept walking along the edge of it like it was a river bank, I tried for about 60 seconds got annoyed and figured it was busted so went the long way around. I have no intention of testing it again and will turn down any more cattle quests I get unless I have the cattle wating outside the village.

Price of cattle is directly tied to the number cattles with trade skill, relations and prosperity thrown in. I even hit over 500... you know old habits of burning down villages don't die fast.

The first thing I'll ever do when I get the module system will be making and option to make the cattle follow you.

Lord Kinlar said:
CTRL+SPACE really helps in cattle quests. Keep the cattle herd between you and the destination. Go behind the cattle herd and press and hold CTRL+SPACE for a while. They will move towards the destination really fast. You don't have to click left and right like crazy like I used to do to drive them towards the destination. :smile:
Uh, no, they move at the same speed as usual, only you're compressing the time the same way the game does when you're resting.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Lord Kinlar said:
Uh, no, they move at the same speed as usual, only you're compressing the time the same way the game does when you're resting.

I didn't mean they'd go faster than usual. My point is that CTRL+SPACE makes herding easier for the player. You don't have to click around the herd and wait.  :smile:

Whilst herding is pretty straight-forward and simple, I'm not a fan of the cattle quest. It's ok if the villages you get cattle from are close together, but after a while continual raids and bandits setting up in villages leaves most of the game world without more than a handful of cows. I remember in .960 I ended up using the teleport cheat to try and find a decent number of cattle and nearly every village I came across had less than 6 or so cows, most just a couple if any. One of the annoying things is the quest to train peasants against bandits. The village has lots of cattle, you stay there for 3 days training up the men without leaving, suddenly the bandits have snuck in and took all the cattle. Take a few maybe, but not the entire stock! I think generally cows should reproduce quicker, which might defy the laws of science, but it's only a game and no-one wants to spend 20 minutes leading numerous small groups of cattle around just to gain a small amount of loyalty from a single village.

what's hard about it? the cows are running away from you and will stay straight if you stay straight. give a little distance though, don't be right behind them. then you just use left/right moves to change their direction a little when you need to.

Herding is one part of the game I always cheat.

Truesight on, ctrl + space until herd has moved some distance, teleport to new location with cattle on the line to the point where you need to go, and repeat.

If the price of beef really is based on cattle availability, then it just affirms my statement that making cattle more available would not break the game balance. If every village has cattle, then beef prices will be low - thus making ridiculously large profits on selling herds of cattle would be out. You could still make a modest profit, just not on the levels that are currently possible.

It would be more like a fix! :smile:

Back
Top Bottom