Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

Users who are viewing this thread

Seeing as discussion was flowing over to other topics I decided to create a new one specifically for this.

For those of you who don't know, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is a free roguelike with ASCII graphics. You wake up a day after the apocalypse or whatever and will have to deal with hunger and zombies in order to survive and unveil the mystery as of why the world was destroyed.

The game can be downloaded here: http://www.cataclysmdda.com/

Does anyone know if is possible to store items and build or take a container/closet/trunk or something similar with you? I grow tired of dual wielding backpacks or messenger bags as they hinder my movement and a lone backpack is not enough because I end up with a whole ton of loot during my scavenging, and I end up simply dropping all the raw resources in the basement.

I'd imagine you can put your stuff into furniture and use the "move furniture" command to move it with you. It'd be a lot slower than just dropping your excess items when you get into a fight though.

I really enjoyed this up until the point where only ****ing mega mutants hunt you (,which didnt take all that long in my game). Since the killer bees took down my character i didnt touch it again. They should have stuck to zombies and made them harder to deal with or made survival in general more challenging.

Fun times i had:

I met another survivor that tried to hold me up. When i ignored him(i was so surprised that there was somebody that i moved towards him), he shot at me, at which point i crushed his skull with a bat.

Once i found a base of survivors, but as it was my second run, i didnt figure out how to communicate with them or get into the base. I died shortly afterwards and havent seen anything like it since.

I've played man worlds so far and I haven't found a single other survivor. I imagine I wont find any in the first town, but surely I'd have ran into one while out searching another town or something.

Also, what are some ways to warm your character up? I made a fire but it didn't change my temperature.

I havent played in half a year and im not even sure whether i played the original game or its "addon" development, so its possible that there are no survivors in your variant.

Cant even remember how to warm up, just that staying outside at night wasnt necessarily beneficial.

NPCs aren't included in this version. I think you can include them in the options, though.
As for warming up, try putting several layers of clothes on. Especially before you go to sleep. Then take them off when you wake up so they don't encumber you. Eating warm food will help too.
Duh said:
I really enjoyed this up until the point where only ****ing mega mutants hunt you (,which didnt take all that long in my game). Since the killer bees took down my character i didnt touch it again. They should have stuck to zombies and made them harder to deal with or made survival in general more challenging.

Fun times i had:

I met another survivor that tried to hold me up. When i ignored him(i was so surprised that there was somebody that i moved towards him), he shot at me, at which point i crushed his skull with a bat.

Once i found a base of survivors, but as it was my second run, i didnt figure out how to communicate with them or get into the base. I died shortly afterwards and havent seen anything like it since.
They added a "zombies only" gamemode. You can also play with static spawns, meaning all creatures spawn at the start of a game instead of procedurally when you create noise. This way all the badass monsters spawn immediately instead of later on in the game.

Untitled. said:
They added a "zombies only" gamemode.
\o/ seems like i have to play this again  :grin:

Untitled. said:
You can also play with static spawns, meaning all creatures spawn at the start of a game instead of procedurally when you create noise. This way all the badass monsters spawn immediately instead of later on in the game.
Have you tried that?

The static spawn mode is really hard, IMO. I tried it once and couldn't get any supplies from town haha. But I imagine static spawn with classic zombies only would be pretty entertaining.

On a side note, I really hate giant wasps.

Big Boss said:
Does anyone know if is possible to store items and build or take a container/closet/trunk or something similar with you? I grow tired of dual wielding backpacks or messenger bags as they hinder my movement and a lone backpack is not enough because I end up with a whole ton of loot during my scavenging, and I end up simply dropping all the raw resources in the basement.

Best option I find is to build a small vehicle purposed for quick looting trips into cities with a ram in front incase I need to drive through a zombie mob at high speed.

Edit:
Dante Alighieri said:
The static spawn mode is really hard, IMO. I tried it once and couldn't get any supplies from town haha. But I imagine static spawn with classic zombies only would be pretty entertaining.

Yep, my first few half dozen characters died when stepping foot into town. What I've found is that the impetus is shifted from making noise like breaking windows or doors, to where you launch your raid when approaching a town or city. Do not go for the stores or special establishments. Go for the residential areas, they are light on zombies and special zombies as well. I got lucky with one character in 0.3 and found a town with nothing but houses for about 12 map squares until the city turns commercial.

In any case, as soon as you make it to a vehicle, you're pretty much set already. Zombies do barely any damage to car frames or plates, it's quite possible to plow a volksvagon into a mob and come out the other side having killed everything.

After my last character being encircled and committing suicide by throwing a hand grenade I made a new one and almost immediately found a flatbed truck.
6whgx.png

In my newest character, it's only been a day and I found a LMOE shelter and I have a truck. But I can just feel my demise slowly coming. I went into a nearby town to get food and ammo and was chased out of town by a huge horde of zombies, and I think my truck is trashed. The tires changed to a different symbol but I cant find out what it means.

On the information screen for your truck, there is a safe speed and an unsafe speed. I think going over the safe sped might start damaging your vehicles little by little starting with the tires. Running into and over things also might hurt it.

Just get a welder with some batteries in it and repair the damage and it'll be good as new. Also, the real life application of having a spare tire around might also be a good idea just in case.

We plan on making vehicles a lot less silly-OP at some point, as well as reducing the effectiveness of a few other strategies that are just broken. I'd like it to be more focused on tense fighting than just driving around in circles until you kill the zambies.

Dante Alighieri said:
In my newest character, it's only been a day and I found a LMOE shelter and I have a truck. But I can just feel my demise slowly coming. I went into a nearby town to get food and ammo and was chased out of town by a huge horde of zombies, and I think my truck is trashed. The tires changed to a different symbol but I cant find out what it means.
You'll need to fix or replace 'em, you shall require a welder either way for some silly reason.

The Darkling Wolf said:
We plan on making vehicles a lot less silly-OP at some point, as well as reducing the effectiveness of a few other strategies that are just broken. I'd like it to be more focused on tense fighting than just driving around in circles until you kill the zambies.

Dante Alighieri said:
You'll need to fix or replace 'em, you shall require a welder either way for some silly reason.

I haven't made it far enough to find out first hand if vehicles are OP, but I do know that trying to drive without any driving skill is suicide within itself. Or at least in my experience.

I know you probably get bombarded with this question all the time, but is anybody making any progress in regards to tileset support?

hLi90pR.png

lulew.png

daftigod said:
hello, i'm new :smile:

i've been working on a set this week myself, and it's definitely leaning heavily towards the cartoony side if that's your thing.

cuwmA2H.png

Dt0WZ3O.png

hPyoQZp.png

it's working in-game with deon's last pack (nice work!) for vanilla cataclysm. i've been adding some of the newer stuff for 1.6 as i go, including wearable weapons, boarded windows/doors and some other items. i'd say it's about 70% done for regular cataclysm, and it's 24x24 only.

anxiously awaiting tile support in DDA! thanks for continuing development!

Pics from this thread: http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=421.0

It seems like Soron is working on it, and has gotten it to work on the old linux pre-DDA cataclysm.

Dante Alighieri said:
I haven't made it far enough to find out first hand if vehicles are OP, but I do know that trying to drive without any driving skill is suicide within itself. Or at least in my experience.

It seems that driving ability goes up the more input (IE. the more commands you give the vehicle) you give it. Driving in a tight circle is a good way to up your basic driving technique, both in game and in limited applications, in real-life as well when you are first starting out. Driving in a tight circle with one of the side directions held down will drain out most of your exp much quicker than ina  straight line it seems.

Nice, was sad to see this game discontinued. About time someone picked it up again, cheers and good job!

Also, that's a pretty *****in' tileset.

Tileset progress is going fairly slowly, but hopefully it won't be too much longer before we have something workable. We have people queuing up to make tiles for us, so that part should be fairly quick at least.

Back
Top Bottom