Resolved Casualties inflicted or Casualties sustained?

Users who are viewing this thread

zach99zulu

Recruit
When at war, in the Diplomacy section of the Kingdom tab, CASUALTIES INFLICTED should read CASUALTIES SUSTAINED, right?

I think so or the numbers should be swapped. My impression is that the bars are supposed to reflect at a glance how much the war is leaning in a kingdom's favor.

Seems like it may just be a disambiguation issue, but there are better word choices to use:

Casualties Taken
Casualties Incurred
Soldiers Retired
Soldiers Lost
Total Losses
Losses Incurred
Soldiers Buried
Kits Reused
Wasted Resources
Ultimate Mistakes Made
Training Failures
Former Marching Targets
Pyres Lit
On Permanent Leave
Permanently Horizontal Citizens

I just notice that there doesn't appear to be an accounting of battle wins/losses, just sieges and raids. Pity.

Love some of the suggested alternative labels...

For the UI to make sense, the casualties needs to follow the same convention as all the other metrics - which is to say bigger bar on a factions side means good for that faction.

A faction wants more:
Total strength
Prisoners (taken/held... the actual number appears to reflect prisoners currently held and should probably be labeled as such)
Casualties Inflicted
Successful Sieges
Successful raids

So the Casualties Inflicted label makes sense, the problem is just that the number and graph appears to represent the opposite of what it says. Practically every war you look at shows the side obviously winning the war as having inflicted fewer casualties. It needs to be double checked in code, and assuming it is backwards, swapped accordingly.

Should also make sure any diplomacy decisions the AI might be making based on casualties aren't being done backwards as well. Might explain some of the suicidal diplomacy decisions being made by factions that were being snowballed against.

AI leader looking at casualty stats: "Oh look at all the dudes we're killing and how few we are losing, we are awesome!"
*Declares another war.

*Lords actually doing the fighting: "Um, no sir, our K/D ratio is actually terrible and all our people are dying..."
*Faction gets curb stomped

Followup test to backup the assumption that the UI is reporting the opposite of what it says.

I'm a Battanian vassal. Battania is at war with the Vlandians.

As I'm about to start a battle I check:
Kingdom menu, Diplomacy tab, Battanian/Vlandian war reports casualties inflicted as 2092 Battania - 3856 Vlandia

I engage in a battle against a Vlandian lord and inflict 97 casualties. To my surprise at the end of the battle I didn't suffer a single casualty, but that's cool, makes the test even easier to verify. Immediately after the battle I check again:
Kingdom menu, Diplomacy tab, Battanian/Vlandian war reports casualties inflicted as 2092 Battania - 3953 Vlandia

Vlandia's casualties inflicted increased by exactly 97. The exact opposite of what should have happened - Battania inflicted those casualties.

Permanently Horizontal Citizens

this

I engage in a battle against a Vlandian lord and inflict 97 casualties. To my surprise at the end of the battle I didn't suffer a single casualty, but that's cool, makes the test even easier to verify. Immediately after the battle I check again:
Kingdom menu, Diplomacy tab, Battanian/Vlandian war reports casualties inflicted as 2092 Battania - 3953 Vlandia

Vlandia's casualties inflicted increased by exactly 97. The exact opposite of what should have happened - Battania inflicted those casualties.

I've seen this happen too. It's pretty confusing.

Casualties Inflicted is fine. The only reason anyone is confused is because the graph reports the opposite of what the label says it's reporting. In the context of the UI's layout, the graph is wrong, not the label.

Casualties Inflicted is fine. The only reason anyone is confused is because the graph reports the opposite of what the label says it's reporting. In the context of the UI's layout, the graph is wrong, not the label.
This is true, but as #2 had said, opening the tab should provide a very natural and intuitive display representing the war. Again, I disagree with you, because if one Kingdom is dominating another, all the graphs will read in one direction, except one of them "Casualties Inflicted." That is not intuitive.

This is true, but as #2 had said, opening the tab should provide a very natural and intuitive display representing the war. Again, I disagree with you, because if one Kingdom is dominating another, all the graphs will read in one direction, except one of them "Casualties Inflicted." That is not intuitive.
In post 5 I outline what I believe you are saying.

Right now, the casualty line is opposite of what it should be. The graph is reporting the opposite information of what its label says it should. If the graph reported what the label says it should, then the graphs would all be uniform in showing more volume on the side of the dominant kingdom.

If you change the label to match the graph, the graph will remain at odds with the rest of the graphs. If you change the graph to match the label, everything is right with the world.

Hello, sorry for the late reply. We have fixed a considerable amount of the problems we have encountered so far and improved the game performance with the multiple patches we have released. Please make sure that your game, your drivers, and OS are up to date and the game has necessary permissions over your security software. Please let us know if the problem persists after completing these steps and verifying the integrity of the game files through Steam.

Hello, sorry for the late reply. We have fixed a considerable amount of the problems we have encountered so far and improved the game performance with the multiple patches we have released. Please make sure that your game, your drivers, and OS are up to date and the game has necessary permissions over your security software. Please let us know if the problem persists after completing these steps and verifying the integrity of the game files through Steam.
I understand that's your boilerplate at work, catching up on all the bugs reported since... whenever. This issue is in ALL the versions from Day 1. It may be a simple misunderstanding of the English usage of "Casualties Inflicted". Probably not a one of us in EA has not scratched his head and wondered if the presentation was right.

The essence is - it is not!

Yes, the problem still persists because it doesn't look like a mod has even looked at this other than to post the above spam reply.

Yes, the problem still persists because it doesn't look like a mod has even looked at this other than to post the above spam reply.
Hello, we were not able to answer every thread in the early stages of early access. But a big portion of the problems reported by our community has been resolved. Please keep in mind that there is not only 1 thread about 1 problem. We got hundreds of messages each day and replied as much as we can. Most of the backtracking we do now is to make sure that no problem is overlooked or ignored. We are writing hundreds of messages in a day, almost every day. You can't possibly expect us to write unique replies for every thread(we usually do, unless it is a backtrack like this), since not every problem is unique as well. If the problem persisting, please make sure to remove ALL the mod files manually(if you have them), verify the integrity of the game files, and try to reproduce the problem on a new campaign. If you don't have any mods, can you please give us more info using the template below?
Summary:
Scene Name
(if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):

Relax, ucanbiblo. Wasn't really criticizing, was just pointing out that there had been no response from a mod other than what is basically an autoreply. Its a minor issue anyways, although one which should probably be addressed. Here's a screen shot from the diplomacy page... http://prntscr.com/un7xmc The words 'Casualties Inflicted" means how many opponents you've killed/disabled. But on the screen what its actually showing is the number of casualties you've suffered. On the example I've suffered 845 losses and they've suffered 1773 losses. As it was also pointed out above, the bar should extend out farther for the faction it favors. So actually the terminology is correct, but under Lesiye for Casualties Inflicted it should show 1773 and for the Khuzaits it should show 845. I'm currently on 1.5.2 beta, but its been this way in every version.

Yeah. I'm just getting started with growth, but I kind of feel if I don't try to get them under control now it won't happen at all. I was rather pleased. On the middle settings (easy, not very easy). I besieged Omor. They brought 1k troops vs my 500. I won with 11 to spare, but got troops they had as prisoners. A little later they brought 500+ to my 300+ & I won fairly easy. Then I took Omor (my first town). The fact I am fighting them in Omor tells you how far they have already expanded.

Back
Top Bottom