Castles need a notable (sergeant)

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
While owning a castle could be cool they suck in Bannerlord, they should have more of a military role. One way to do that is add a sergeant notable that allows you to recruit higher tier units with maybe a few unique quest to boost relations. For example unique bounty hunting quest or a hideout near the castle type stuff.

The notable you appointed would be totally loyal to you, right? So why would you need to improve relations with him to get higher tier troops, the guy works for you. What will happen to that notable after castle falls to another kingdom. Will notable serve them? I don't think so, he'd get slaughtered.

They should also serve some greater purpose on the campaign map rather than being a worse town for villages to be bound to.

Should be the only source of noble recuits. In my make a wish Bannerlord upgrading to higher tier troops (tier four or five) is only possible here after leaving them there for a few days. Enough of this recruit-to-Legionary in two weeks guff.

I think combining castles with noble troop recruitment in some way would be good. At the moment castles are obviously just a waste of time and the only viable ways to recruit noble troops is by converting bandits and prisoners.

Two problems can be fixed with one solution :smile:

While owning a castle could be cool they suck in Bannerlord, they should have more of a military role. One way to do that is add a sergeant notable that allows you to recruit higher tier units with maybe a few unique quest to boost relations. For example unique bounty hunting quest or a hideout near the castle type stuff.
+1

And I think it would be interesting to have a prominent figure in the cities as well. A sergeant who recruits noble troops in castles, a constable who does it for the cities and the rest of the notables (headman, landowner, artisan, merchant, and gang leader) who continue doing the same but only with regular troops.

There is a very interesting debate going on where to get very good feedback. Thank you guys for your active participation.

We are covering a lot of topics, but they are still on track as far as the main issue is concerned.

There will be people who do not share this idea (we're here to discuss), but as I said before (see also the reference that appears in the devblog) I'm more willing to "redirect" the recruitment of noble units. For me certainly the recruitment of such units should be done in cities and I think that this function could be carried out by a Constable (petty nobility, see as the right hand of the Governor). I think that one in each city would be enough.

It makes more sense to me that for the recruitment of units belonging to the regular army bulk, be the headman, landowner, artisan, merchant, and gang leader who perform this function.
The constable could be in charge of supplying noble units, but also of complementing the quotas with mercenary units (the same ones we can find in the tavern - a shortcut). This character, like the rest of the notables, would provide missions which would be interesting to engage in activities such as bounty hunting, instruction, payment of commissions...etc (I'm just imagining)
(source)

I would also add, that as everything should be related (or so I understand) both the figure of the Constable (city) and the figure of the Sargeant (castle) should be part of a Council scene where a diplomatic panel is accessible (when owner). Something mentioned by Akka and myself in this thread.

Exactly! :party: I had thought of something similar to the council room, with a camera view similar to the GoT scene.

0DnEz.jpg
Game-of-thrones-season-8-finale-tyrion-1558351315.jpg

I would personally readapt some room to bring back those three figures we found in Floris. Also, as there would be space available at the table, we could include in the scene the wife/husband (if available) with her/his line of dialogue and also the Governor (if available) with her/his own line as well.
Maybe a button in the kingdom administration panel would load the throne chamber scene already sitting on the tables or within that scene that the trigger would be to sit on the main chair... ideas...?

I've said it before....Castles need the castellan npc that gets upgraded with every level and this npc will provide info and services much like the one in diplomacy mod.

There could be lesser nobility notables, reprecenting estateowners on the countryside. They offer noble recruits. 15 relation is required for the first line of recruits(On Normal). They offer a set of quests from both noble lines and lowborn(Village and towns) and a few unique.

Castles really should be the main source of noble recruits, this would add tremendously value to them and make it worthwhile to hold castles that pay less taxes in exchange of better soldiers.

In the same vein maybe making towns only have militia while villages provide the common troops would also be cool and balance everything better.

Towns would be your main source of money if you wanted big-cash in taxes but their troops are the short militia line only focused on the defense of their hometowns, villages provide peasants in a more blank state that can be molded with time to be worthwhile soldiers and castles as the main defense structures of the realm provide the cream of the soldiers in their professional noble line.

Castles really should be the main source of noble recruits, this would add tremendously value to them and make it worthwhile to hold castles that pay less taxes in exchange of better soldiers.

In the same vein maybe making towns only have militia while villages provide the common troops would also be cool and balance everything better.

Towns would be your main source of money if you wanted big-cash in taxes but their troops are the short militia line only focused on the defense of their hometowns, villages provide peasants in a more blank state that can be molded with time to be worthwhile soldiers and castles as the main defense structures of the realm provide the cream of the soldiers in their professional noble line.
Towns should have garrison limit too (like 150-200 troops), and castles food stores tripled.
But I agree with your suggestion, I have also suggested it numerous times! Totally feasible. (I wonder if a mod could do it to test it for TW........)

Good idea +1

Some of you guys are going a little TOO ham. There is no reason to bar you from recruiting regular soldiers in towns. So let’s curb that one. There would also be nobles in towns, though I don’t think you can get those troops from towns anyway as the (three?) notable types in towns don’t have them on the docket. I could be wrong.

Castles were staging areas to oversee and maintain a Lord’s lands. There is an odd myth perpetuated by some in these forums that they were “stop gaps” to allow and bar access to regions, but I’m assuming these folks watch/read too much Fantasy. They should concentrate on that role more then any other.

Currently, they do offer a huge benefit of not being susceptible to revolts. This could change, and if it does, it should be harder to lose them due to this. A contact that could give you missions wouldn’t be a bad idea, maybe only available if you own the castle?

Being able to store (garrison) and train troops needs to be a bigger deal. Unfortunately the “we need to be able to get higher end troops faster” folks won out, as castle’s training troops could have been a primary function, but now there really is no point as it’s easy to go from nothing to a high tier group of 200 troops in less then a month

Some of you guys are going a little TOO ham. There is no reason to bar you from recruiting regular soldiers in towns. So let’s curb that one. There would also be nobles in towns, though I don’t think you can get those troops from towns anyway as the (three?) notable types in towns don’t have them on the docket. I could be wrong.
It's more of trying to find a medium between fun and gameplay to make everything worthwhile, as of now castles are just worse towns, towns give cash and troops and villages are simply recruitment and quests quickstops with nothing more to them.

+1
giphy.gif

I'll buy it

This 100%

Castles - nobles
Towns - militias
Villages- recruits/peasants

Towns should be the training / recruitment centers for the urban militia. Think about the merchant and burgess and the type of troops they would assemble.

Guys please (whoever feels like), make a new thread with the @vonbalt proposal and a poll to see the general interest. As I said before, these recruitment sources seem to me to be perfect and in line with the type of game that Bannerlord is. ?:whistle:

---
Or if @Reiksmarshal want, you could recycle this thread, editing the initial message, heading and enabling a poll.

Last edited:
Guys please (whoever feels like), make a new thread with the @vonbalt proposal and a poll to see the general interest. As I said before, these recruitment sources seem to me to be perfect and in line with the type of game that Bannerlord is. ?:whistle:

---
Or if @Reiksmarshal want, you could recycle this thread, editing the initial message, heading and enabling a poll.
Done that, hopefully it'll get some attention from the devs :party:

Improve the recruitment system separating troop lines by fief type | TaleWorlds Forums

Back
Top Bottom