Castles can't be stopped from starving (prosperity mechanic issues)

Users who are viewing this thread

If you run a game long enough, you can see a pattern emerging. Settlements (and castles in particular) keep amassing prosperity and reach a point that even if you have 'em at max buildings, at peace time and ensuring villagers are unimpeded, they start to lose food.

Its expected obviously, cause the food supply is finite and prosperity has no cap. Now of course food and prosperity should have a negative relation, but the problem is this: in castles or towns, prosperity cant have a negative drift unless the food stocks are empty. That is a major issue since you will always be in this circle of starvation and prosperity increase, instead of having an actual soft cap. A solution to that would be to make it so prosperity decreases if you have a negative change in food, that would solve the "you have to lose half of your garrison for it to balance out" problem. Not too sure if im missing something here, but to me it seems the current state of the prosperity mechanic seems kinda broken.

Feel free to correct me or help me if i have missed anything. If not does anyone know if the devs are even aware of late game prosperity shenanigans ?

Last edited:
I noticed two issues. If you have auto-recruiting on for Castles they will eventually fill up the Garrison and you'll starve.

The last one or two Barracks upgrades make it worse and are not worth it.

In the future, I may never upgrade Barracks in a castle.

I noticed two issues. If you have auto-recruiting on for Castles they will eventually fill up the Garrison and you'll starve.

The last one or two Barracks upgrades make it worse and are not worth it.

In the future, I may never upgrade Barracks in a castle.
Dont have auto recruitment on, and having more garrison capacity should not have any impact.

If you run a game long enough, you can see a pattern emerging. Settlements (and castles in particular) keep getting prosperity and reach a point that even if you have em at max buildings, at peace time and ensuring villagers are unimpeded, they start to lose food.
Its expected obviously, cause the food supply is finite but the prosperity has no cap. Now of course food and prosperity should have a negative relation, but the problem is: in castles or towns, prosperity cant have a negative expected change unless food stocks are empty. That is a major issue since you will always be in this circle of starvation and prosperity increase instead of having an actual soft cap. Another thing that would be nice would be that prosperity decreases if you have a net decrease in food, that would solve the "you have to lose half of your garrison for it to balance out" problem. Not too sure if im missing something here, but to me it seems the current state of the prosperity mechanic seems kinda broken.

Feel free to correct me or help me if i have missed anything. If not does anyone know if the devs are even aware of late game prosperity shenanigans ?
I have a castle in an already abandoned game that happened to me. 2000 prosperity, zero food in the castle, unable to have a garrison. Basically the villagers even eat the food that is produced in the castle.

What must be repaired is that the castle's internal food production must first satisfy the garrison and the food stook, lastly, its surplus if it can be dumped to the population of the villages. Because it makes sense that an area suddenly becomes prosperous, people attracted by the loyalty and security of the area, but not there for food for everyone, but not devouring the food that technically belongs to the noble owner hahaha.

Other parties will put Troops into your castle. So even if recruiting is off, you can get more Troops. That is the issue with the expanded barracks.
Oh yeah, but i usually check on them from time to time just to make sure they arent croweded with pleb units from the ai. We aint talking about big garrisons here, i had like 150 troops in there and the castle couldnt get off starvation...

I have a castle in an already abandoned game that happened to me. 2000 prosperity, zero food in the castle, unable to have a garrison. Basically the villagers even eat the food that is produced in the castle.

What must be repaired is that the castle's internal food production must first satisfy the garrison and the food stook, lastly, its surplus if it can be dumped to the population of the villages. Because it makes sense that an area suddenly becomes prosperous, people attracted by the loyalty and security of the area, but not there for food for everyone, but not devouring the food that technically belongs to the noble owner hahaha.
Yep and since i havent seen anyone correct me yet, i have a feeling this a legit issue in the late game :sad:

Oh yeah, but i usually check on them from time to time just to make sure they arent croweded with pleb units from the ai. We aint talking about big garrisons here, i had like 150 troops in there and the castle couldnt get off starvation...
Sounds like a village issue. The village has been raided too often and can't produce enough food.

This thread may be relevant to you:

Sounds like a village issue. The village has been raided too often and can't produce enough food.

This thread may be relevant to you:

My villages are currenlty at +12, even if i maxed them out for a total of plus 12 food (which is pretty fcking hard) it would still get capped cause prosperity would outgrow the food provided and pretty fast at that, since the castle gains 1.8 prosp a day...

Probably because its a crazy high prosperity that doesn't happen often. Or of it does happen, people have almost conquered the world map and don't care.

You should report it.

First create a thread.

This link is from the top of the page, if you hover your mouse on M&B II three links will show up. That is the support link.

Create the issue, upload a screenshot showing no Castle prosperity drift and they will take it from there.

Edit: I think I had the wrong link.

A higher tax = minus prosperity option would easily solve this but TWs will probably keep on claiming the mechanic of starving out from richness is in fact intended.

First create a thread.

This link is from the top of the page, if you hover your mouse on M&B II three links will show up. That is the support link.

Create the issue, upload a screenshot showing no Castle prosperity drift and they will take it from there.

Edit: I think I had the wrong link.
Turns out it already is reported and is "in progress", sadly ive seen a lot of people claim that it is intended when it makes no sense in the first place....

A higher tax = minus prosperity option would easily solve this but TWs will probably keep on claiming the mechanic of starving out from richness is in fact intended.
It would make sense, if you didnt have to starve out your entire garrison to get lower prosperity, that in a couple of days would go over the food provided and the circle continues. This is obviously a silly mechanic and it would surprise me if TW actually said that this is intended, in its current state.

When we reach a certain population (prosperity) we should send out homesteaders , decreasing the prosperity/population significantly and spawning a new village that of course feeds new food to the town. Assuming you couldn't set up better trade routes or just make more local farms, that what you would have to do right? Entice the abundant population to move out to a new prospect.

Unless TW intends for prosperity to not represent population and rather it's just the same people eating more and more food, a whole town full of mukbang ladies, gobbling up the food and starving the garrison.

If you run a game long enough, you can see a pattern emerging. Settlements (and castles in particular) keep amassing prosperity and reach a point that even if you have 'em at max buildings, at peace time and ensuring villagers are unimpeded, they start to lose food.

Its expected obviously, cause the food supply is finite and prosperity has no cap. Now of course food and prosperity should have a negative relation, but the problem is this: in castles or towns, prosperity cant have a negative drift unless the food stocks are empty. That is a major issue since you will always be in this circle of starvation and prosperity increase, instead of having an actual soft cap. A solution to that would be to make it so prosperity decreases if you have a negative change in food, that would solve the "you have to lose half of your garrison for it to balance out" problem. Not too sure if im missing something here, but to me it seems the current state of the prosperity mechanic seems kinda broken.

this thing i want devs to take care the most. but seem like they are blind****

This is an issue that was brought up many months ago, so they are aware of it but nothing has been done. With how many things they have started and not finished and just abandoned I am not confident this will be solved anytime soon

Back
Top Bottom