Users who are viewing this thread

I think castles should have areas to train you and your men. Its a military garrison. what would they not have training put in there. After that i could see you being able to recruit mid tier troops but i believe the cost are higher or you need good relations with the lord/area to be able to recruit there.

Idea how to make castles more unique, also help AI with higher tier troops. I wish for castles to be more military oriented, and cities more taxes oriented like they are right now. Castles could have unique "rise levy" option - ability to instantly recruit high tier soldiers but directly from population (prosperity). Like trade-off more military strength but at the cost of crippling your economy,and it make sense for medieval time line (I also think this option is good way to replace 10% AI lords respawn , at least it make more sense). Off course, this option should have with certain limitations:
-max number of "rise levy" troops could be 50 or percentage of overall prosperity number in castle
-only owner of the castle have this option
-minimum prosperity to use this option could be 750-800
-cooldown for using this option, no idea how many days
-"Levy troops" could be tier 3
-to prevent manipulation "levy troops" could be marked with special icon "loyal to lord X" and can't be transfered to other Lords
-after war, if some of them survive they could be disbanded in the same castle where raised, and converted back to prosperity
-"Levy troops" couldn't be upgraded beyond their original level when raised

Also adding new unique buildings for castles could be cool idea for this option, to force player/AI to actually invest before use this option:
-infantry barracks level 1 = "levy infantry" level 2
-infantry barracks level 2 = "levy infantry" level 3
-infantry barracks level 3 = "levy infantry" level 4
Same thing for archer barracks and cavalry barracks
For me personally this idea make sense, and it's a good way prevent overall "out of control" prosperity growth (food shortage problem in late game)

Idea how to make castles more unique, also help AI with higher tier troops. I wish for castles to be more military oriented, and cities more taxes oriented like they are right now. Castles could have unique "rise levy" option - ability to instantly recruit high tier soldiers but directly from population (prosperity). Like trade-off more military strength but at the cost of crippling your economy,and it make sense for medieval time line (I also think this option is good way to replace 10% AI lords respawn , at least it make more sense). Off course, this option should have with certain limitations:
-max number of "rise levy" troops could be 50 or percentage of overall prosperity number in castle
-only owner of the castle have this option
-minimum prosperity to use this option could be 750-800
-cooldown for using this option, no idea how many days
-"Levy troops" could be tier 3
-to prevent manipulation "levy troops" could be marked with special icon "loyal to lord X" and can't be transfered to other Lords
-after war, if some of them survive they could be disbanded in the same castle where raised, and converted back to prosperity
-"Levy troops" couldn't be upgraded beyond their original level when raised

Also adding new unique buildings for castles could be cool idea for this option, to force player/AI to actually invest before use this option:
-infantry barracks level 1 = "levy infantry" level 2
-infantry barracks level 2 = "levy infantry" level 3
-infantry barracks level 3 = "levy infantry" level 4
Same thing for archer barracks and cavalry barracks
For me personally this idea make sense, and it's a good way prevent overall "out of control" prosperity growth (food shortage problem in late game)
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/the-value-of-castles-vs-towns.422608/page-2

+1

But i think the most important detail and their highest priority with this should be:

castle scenes according to their map location.

I remember castles in the middle of the mainland, when i took a walk around they were shown on a cliff with sea in the background... This ruins the immersion for me.

+1

Good ideas. I agree patrols should return to castle, replenish, and redeploy automatically; and they should level up from combat.

This idea can be expanded to completely get rid of the central training grounds where we always begin the sandbox. Instead, give every faction at least one castle with the sufficient prerequisite described above that allows the player to train, and the player spawns at one of these at the start of a new campaign. Just as it is now, the player could go through the combat training tutorial if they want, or skip. Either way, instead of Tevea, the tutorial then directs the player to the village associated with the castle they spawned at. This will give each new start a fresh feel, get rid of the weird "training grounds" in the center of the map, and it may potentially remove the Tevea raiding bug... or just create 6 new Teveas to perma-raid. It will also give the player quicker access to acquiring gear, troops, and general interaction with the culture they belong to.

They'll have to do something about castle finances
at the moment they cost you money
I inwardly groan when my faction offers me one and I cant even decline it.

They seem like useless money pits that I still have to try and defend it and pay out far too much for garrison wages. The least they can do is train me troops and provide patrols.

The first 100 troops in the garrison should be free as in they come with the castle they should not be normal troops but a core specially ai scripted defensive force which never leaves the castle (see next paragraph for expansion of the idea) and the wages are paid by your faction or the castle steward or someone but definitely not you.

But as to making them better first they should be a lot tougher to take than a walled town the defenders should get a larger defensive bonus
it should take four times as long to damage castle walls as opposed to town walls. lvl 2 castles should have a metal port cullis as standard lvl 3 should have a drawbridge and moat.They should have more defensive seige engines / dedicated heavily armoured defensive ai archers /crossbowmen put in strategic locations staying at their post not running around like headless chickens. And defensive ai seige engineers using siege engines pouring boiling oil, dropping rocks pushing off ladders destroying attacking seige engines holding choke points setting barricades on fire to hold back the enemy and generally causing lots of damage to attackers.

The rest of the garrison can be additional protection but these guys should be an experienced specially ai scripted core defensive garrison gauranteeing heavy attacking casualties.

Where's my clan flag ? It should be everywhere in my castle.

The lords hall should have all sorts of decorative add ons like a big throne I can sit on and hold court, the villagers can petition me for favours.
wall torches, drapes in my clan design, braziers, carpets. I should be able to decorate the lords hall to my liking. The there should be different adjacent rooms, a trophy room, a sunken bath room,an armoury, a war planning room where I can look at the map and zoom in for more detail at the state of the war.

They'll have to do something about castle finances
at the moment they cost you money
I inwardly groan when my faction offers me one and I cant even decline it.

They seem like useless money pits that I still have to try and defend it and pay out far too much for garrison wages

It's awful, they shouldn't be such financial black holes.

Historically, castles were the centers of administration for the surrounding area and a way for the nobility to cement their control over a region. The nearby lands belonged to the owner of the castle and homage was paid to him in the form of taxes/tribute. I understand from a game balance standpoint if the creators don't want to make them as profitable as other settlements, but owning a castle shouldn't be a toxic investment.

As far as increasing castle scene immersion, at risk of echoing earlier sentiments posted above, I believe what the atmosphere desperately needs is increased and purposeful NPC actions and interactions. Soldiers should be seen drilling -together, as a unit, either practicing with their weapons in the form of sparring (melee) or target shooting (ranged) or exercising in some capacity. Off-duty guards could be seen off to the side hanging out with one another, maybe drinking, joking, or flirting with some peasant women. Mounted units are performing reconnaissance on the exterior of the castle grounds, riding the outskirts of the area to screen for threats -because you can never be too vigilant. Plus, commoners residing at the castle in a non-military role would ideally be engaged in some kind of action, be it stable boys leading a horse holding it by the bridle, or a cobbler busy repairing boots.

In terms of NPC interaction with the player, my ideal scenario is where where they have meta knowledge of the events of the game -instead of some scripted response, for example a soldier remarking on the events of outcomes of the kingdom's latest battle -or even battles/sieges which recently took place between foreign kingdoms, the notoriety of which has even reached this particular settlement. It would be really cool if the NPCs commented on the player's most recent battle! Likewise, perhaps they could bring up gossip of any recent caravan attack by bandits or outlaws. The NPCs could remark on the state of the garrison, their response determined by a measure of troop quantity plus the average tier level of the garrison. Even dialogue related to settlement prosperity or the latest construction taking place would be a really nice touch.

It's awful, they shouldn't be such financial black holes.

Historically, castles were the centers of administration for the surrounding area and a way for the nobility to cement their control over a region. The nearby lands belonged to the owner of the castle and homage was paid to him in the form of taxes/tribute. I understand from a game balance standpoint if the creators don't want to make them as profitable as other settlements, but owning a castle shouldn't be a toxic investment.

As far as increasing castle scene immersion, at risk of echoing earlier sentiments posted above, I believe what the atmosphere desperately needs is increased and purposeful NPC actions and interactions. Soldiers should be seen drilling -together, as a unit, either practicing with their weapons in the form of sparring (melee) or target shooting (ranged) or exercising in some capacity. Off-duty guards could be seen off to the side hanging out with one another, maybe drinking, joking, or flirting with some peasant women. Mounted units are performing reconnaissance on the exterior of the castle grounds, riding the outskirts of the area to screen for threats -because you can never be too vigilant. Plus, commoners residing at the castle in a non-military role would ideally be engaged in some kind of action, be it stable boys leading a horse holding it by the bridle, or a cobbler busy repairing boots.

In terms of NPC interaction with the player, my ideal scenario is where where they have meta knowledge of the events of the game -instead of some scripted response, for example a soldier remarking on the events of outcomes of the kingdom's latest battle -or even battles/sieges which recently took place between foreign kingdoms, the notoriety of which has even reached this particular settlement. It would be really cool if the NPCs commented on the player's most recent battle! Likewise, perhaps they could bring up gossip of any recent caravan attack by bandits or outlaws. The NPCs could remark on the state of the garrison, their response determined by a measure of troop quantity plus the average tier level of the garrison. Even dialogue related to settlement prosperity or the latest construction taking place would be a really nice touch.
Yeah those dialogue ideas would be great. Much better than currently, where I approach a guard sitting in a chair at a table full of food and weapons, talk to him, he stands up to say, "Can't talk right now, I gotta keep an eye out for trouble," and then he sits back down to stare at the castle keep.

Every single guard I've seen in castle scenes seems to be more like a prison guard, "keeping watch" on the interior of the castle, and even then, hardly ever from an actual vantage point.

(Long post, beware.)
Castles in the game are so underrated, it's like a town but being useless with less people and less tax and no influence.
Currently the only thing stand out about castles in Bannerlord is that castles are designed to be more easily defended than towns so it is a slightly more secure fief, but most of the time sieges happen when you are away so if you wish to utilize its defensive ability you will have to break in and lose 1/3 of your troops first, and usually the attackers abandon the siege afterward so you lose your troops for nothing.
And since there is nothing to do in the castle, no tavern, no traders, no arena, not even townsmen and npcs to talk to, not even soldiers to recruit like towns, so there are basically no reason to stop by and visit a castle what so ever.
Me as a castle geek who watched almost every single video of Shadiversity hate it when this happens.

Back in the medieval days castles were:
1.)
strategically located and functioned fortresses, usually on important passages to control traffic;
2.) military operation center for soldiers to reorganize, train, store weapons, and a bunker to take refuge from much larger invading force;
3.) A fortified settlement for a lord or important figure, a symbol of power, and an office to govern the given land.
Castles in Bannerlord currently serve none of those functions. In my opinion, castles and towns should be made to be equally important, with castles giving the player more military and strategic value, while towns give more economical value. To make castles serve such purposes, here are a few suggestions to improve castles into something useful, from basic tweaks that can easily made in a few patches to some advances ideas for long term.

Basic gameplay tweaks
1. Increase training field garrison experience bonus for castle, at least double that of town garrison exp bonus, so that castle will be better at training soldiers than towns, serving its purpose as a military operation center
2. Give extra party troops healing bonus to castles when entered (e.g. from +5 to +10 per day). As an operation center, castle should be a better place for an army to reorganize and rest. It should be made so that player can stop by at a castle to better heal and reorganize his army in the middle of a conquest.
3. Castle dungeons should have longer minimum imprisonment time than that of towns, as the dungeons of a castle should be expected to be heavily guarded. Hell, some castle were even built specifically to be a prison. Minimum imprisonment time in castles should be at least double of that of towns.
4. Allow troop recruiting in castles, same as towns. Being a fortified office to govern a given area of lands, it makes sense for castles to conscript peasants with able bodies from villages to serve the kingdom and to protect the land, assembling the recruits in castles.
5. Let castles generate daily influence gain. Being the symbol of one's noble status, a fortified castle with armed forces is a great demonstration of power, it makes sense for castle owners to generate at least some degree of influence, if not as much as what towns give.
6. Lords and parties running away from bigger pursuing armies should have smart enough AI to seek refuge in nearby friendly castles, same goes for villagers when villages are being raided, serving the function of castles as a fortified bunker.

Basic NPCs and Castle scene immersion improvements
Castles are so empty, there is nothing to do when walking around except enjoying the scenery and the building aesthetics (which I gotta say, taleworld had done an amazing job). But when there are no one to talk to and nothing to do, that gets bored quickly. Here are what can be done to make castles feel more alive.
1. More npcs! I never found a castle with more than 3 townsmen or 5 garrisoned soliders, and where the hell are the 100 militia stationed? In most movies when a castle is shown there are at least two soldiers towering threateningly on top of the gatehouse (usually holding a spear vertically each), the game should at least add this, so that I know it is a secure stronghold. There should also be soldiers walking around on the wall patrolling. I think I've seen soldiers do that in towns (there are also much more soldiers in towns), I am not sure why castles, supposedly military strongholds have little of that compared with towns.
2. Militia should appear in castles along with garrisons as well, with proportion to how much are stationed. Soldiers in the castle should walk around or sitting and drinking or doing their own things like villagers (I think the immersion of villages in this game was done quite well with everyone doing there own thing, I hope the same can goes for soldiers in castles). It makes no sense to walk around and see a empty courtyard when the castle was said to be stationed by 500 garrison and militia. For what I know, medieval castles are very crowded buildings.
3. There should be more tents and campsites inside or outside the castle for garrisoned troops and militia. The what little buildings there are in castles do not look like they can house more than 50 man, and the fact that little to no npcs walk in castles make them seem unmanned.
4. Soldiers of parties and armies that stops by should appear in the castle as npcs in proportion to army size as well, as the problem of an empty yard becomes much more so when an army of 1000 visits the castle.
5. There should also be some castle staff NPCs. While there are always things to add in this game, some basic ones are castle steward, servants, stockpile workers. They do not have to have actual functions, just being there and doing their things like villagers in villages is good enough. You can ask the steward for some basic opinions on the state of the castle as well. I remember reading an idea in another similar thread about the trainer of castle training field NPC, which can give opinion on the state of the garrisoned troop, this can be a great idea as well.

Further Castle scene immersion improvement
Having more gameplay bonus NPCs as mentioned above should be quite suffice in providing more functions and immersion for castles, so the following suggestions are merely bonus, especially when they may be more time to design and that some of the suggestions requires more space in the castle. The following suggestions can be done after more important patches and updates were made.
1. There should be tents and camps in and out of castles for soldiers (best to be proportion to the garrisoned troop). With what little buildings there are in current castles, they don't look like they have enough room to house more than 50 soldiers. This alone with the fact that there are little NPCs walking around the castle make it feel much more empty than it should be. Most soldiers don't have the luxury to sleep inside stone barracks in a castle, especially temporarily stationed troops ready to be on the move, so they just sleep in tents. Again, medieval castles are very crowded places. If the inside of the castles are too crowded the tents can be put outside, it happens a lot.
2. Visiting parties and armies should have their tents set up at the castle as well, again with proportion to the army size. But it would make more sense to put such tents outside in this case, especially if it's a large army.
3. I've read an interesting idea on another tread (the same tread mentioned above) on having castle projects actually appear in castles such as training field and gardens, I think this is a great idea as well so I just mention it again here, especially the part about the training field where the player can actually practice archery and arms. However, I understand that there aren't too much spaces left without redesigning existing castle maps (which are very beautifully designed already), so this feature isn't a priority, but would be a great bonus and great reason to visit castles.

Advanced gameplay feature: Castle partol
Castles should have their active patrol parties for the following reasons.
1. Being strategically located and functioned fortresses and an office to govern the land, an important feature for castle is to be the base of a governing force, as without a governing force there are no means for an office to govern anything. For a start, to rule a land there should be an armed force ready to go if some villages refuse to pay taxes or having a riot, this is actually the first reason I believe that castles were built for in medieval times.
2. More importantly, to govern a land and collect their taxes, in exchange a ruler is also promising to keep the land safe, therefore the standing army of castles should be ready to be sent when villages are under attack and raids as well, it makes no sense for a castle garrisoned with 500 troops and militia to sit and watch their villages being burned by a small party of 60 and does nothing (if you think about it, usually half of the militia of the castle came from the village under raid, and in the current game they would just sit and watch their wives getting raped and does nothing). This does not only makes more sense, it also provides a logical solution for constant village raid and food shortage being a pain in the ass.
3. Being strategically located fortress to control traffic, the castle patrol does much more than protecting the land. Upon entering enemy territory, one does not simply bypass an enemy castle with no consequence (I believe this was also mentioned in one steam community post), for the standing army of a castle would send out raiding parties to sabotage supply lines, or doing hit and run skirmishes. Such mechanics may be too complicated for the game, but at least the castle patrol should be able to be actively sent out to attack bypassing armies, at least when being numerically superior. At the start of the game when seeing an enemy castle with more garrison than I have troops, I tend to keep the distance to avoid a pursuing army being sent out as they logically should. But when I find out the game never does that, it feels off, it even feels like cheating when bypassing a castle into enemy territory.

The castle patrol can either be the garrison plus militia, or a specific army appointed by player, with the former being more simple in mechanics and makes more sense. The amount of garrison and militia to take part in the patrol should be able to be determined by the player as well.
Being the garrison of a castle, the patrol should be more defensive and normally stationing in the castle, and only be sent out when needed, in order to avoid leaving the castle empty or ill-manned for besiege.
To prevent disastrous result of losing garrisons, the force can also be sent only under the approval of the player. A notification for the player can appear under certain triggers (e.g. villages being raided, enemy party passing by), the player can then decide whether sending out a patrol to deal with the threat or remain defending the castle. The player may also decide the amount of garrison and militia to be send in the notification as well.

Advanced gameplay feature: Castle spotting ability
To let the player make a more informed choice in sending out garrisons, castles (and probably towns too) should have spotting ability on the map, where nearby parties and enemies should be shown even when the player is away, so that when making the choice of sending out a castle patrol while being far away, the player can check the nearby surrounding of the castle (and probably town) to make an informed decision (e.g. if a large enemy force is spotted nearby, it is obviously a better idea to sacrifice an under-raid village and keep the garrison in the castle to prepare for siege defence).
It also makes much more sense so that enemy would not get into or across your kingdom's territory undetected, any army large enough to be a threat should make a lousy appearance to nearby settlements, words of the threat always travel much quicker than the enemy army, unless concealed with special tactics, which should be left to special perks.

TL;DR
Simple things that can be patched:

1. Increase troop exp bonus,
2. Increase settlement healing bonus,
3. Increase dungeon minimum imprisonment time
4. Generate influence gains
5. Allows troop recruiting
6. Parties' AI seek refuge in nearby friendly castles from pursuing forces
7. More Npcs (garrisons, militia, visiting parties, castle staffs)

Further castle scene ideas:
1. Tents in (or outside of) castles for garrison and visiting parties
2. Castle building projects shown in castles (and intractable like training field)

Advanced features:
1. Castle patrol to be send under player's order
2. Castle (and town) spotting ability on overworld map

With this I believe castles in bannerlord can be as important as towns, so that players don't have to abandon castles in order to get towns, and that there are actual reasons to stop by and visit.
But all in all, thank you to all of the devs to make such an awesome game!
I hope my suggestions are considered, and make castles as great as they should be!

truu i had a similar idea in previous weeks.
Currently, having castles feels useless because it doesn't do anything so more features require for castle.

+1

Also: I would really like the ability to use the castle's smithy instead of always having to go to a town for smelting etc. You know, the one I built and paid for.

Castles are pretty boring. For the most part, they're a dot on the map that I spend a couple game days turning into my map color and then never visit again. There's really no reason to unless you own one, and even then that's usually just to dump some spare troops off and check the building queue then not come back for a year, if you haven't traded all your castles in for towns because towns really are better in every way.

At the very least they ought to have their own notables. Say a Castellan and a Garrison Captain for example. Castellan would give supply quests, Captain could give bring weapons/train troops/hunt bandit quests. They could also be a more consistent source of Noble recruits than what we have currently, maybe offering a mix of them and T2 infantry/ranged but for a higher price than cities and villages. This would give us a reason to visit them, and I can think of some more things that would make players want to own them as much as towns as well.

For one, since they would now offer recruits, the training field building could be repurposed from it's current (more or less useless) role of giving the garrison +1/2/3 XP daily and instead increase the rate of recruit generation and promotion. As an incentive to own the castle yourself, you could get half the recruitment fee every time a Lord recruits from it.

There's also the opportunity to bring back a much-requested Warband feature: Patrols. Bandit pileup is a problem, and this could be a solution.

Since nobody builds the garrison barracks buildings anyway (between the walls and your leadership, stuffing that many troops in your castle would have them all starving to death in 10 minutes), change it into a Patrol Barracks. Level 1 makes the castle spawn a patrol of (ex.) 10 troops, Level 2 = 20, Level 3 = 35. They or some other building could also make the troops in the patrol higher-tier.

Patrols would hunt bandits and keep the villagers from getting slaughtered all the time, and could earn battle influence and renown from the fights for the castle owner, even bring back prisoners for the dungeon.

Just a couple ideas I thought would add some more life and variety to the world and give us a reason to actually visit castles.

Thanks to @AfLIcTeD in https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/1-5-1-noble-troop-trees.430149/#post-9524612 for getting me thinking about it

Funny thing is there is an upgrade for a castellan for castles, yet it does nothing. Even it's intended feature is pointless.

Currently the -50% rebellion thing does nothing, but the building gives a hidden +1 to militia recruitment at the moment so it acts as a second militia barracks. Between those two and a couple policies you can get over 400 militia, lol

Had some ideas about castles from more of a gameplay/economic side:

Add notables to them like a Castellan and Garrison Commander with quests and troops to recruit. Currently there's no real reason to ever visit a castle you don't own, and not much even then. Their recruits could be a mix of Noble troops and T2 units, but cost more for the same troop compared to towns and villages, with the castle owner getting paid the difference when a Lord recruits from their castle.

The training grounds XP bonus is too small to be useful as-is, it takes over a year to upgrade one recruit. It could instead increase recruit replenishment and promotion rates for the castle notables.

As far as I know nobody ever builds the garrison barracks because you just can't put that many troops into a castle without it starving, wall and leadership bonus gives you more than you'll ever need. Could be replaced with a Patrol Barracks that creates a patrol of X number of troops per level (10/20/35?) that go out and hunt bandits.

Castle owner could get the renown, influence and loot/bounty money from bandit kills, and maybe a chance of a relations boost with local village notables.

Back
Top Bottom