Castle Discussion ONLY Topic

Users who are viewing this thread

I would like an AI that automatically goes to strategic positions in the castle like in towers to make sure the entire castle is being used

If the devs allowed for fan made castle contests we could easily improve the castles without making the devs work to much

MrShovelFace said:
I would like an AI that automatically goes to strategic positions in the castle like in towers to make sure the entire castle is being used

If the devs allowed for fan made castle contests we could easily improve the castles without making the devs work to much
This is exactly what i was asking for.

'when they get to the top of that one single plank'

hahaha, during a siege

go on edit mode, and zoom out onto a full view of the castle, it looks absolutely horrendous, an army of men all squabbling to get 1 ladder or plank, you'd of thought with the expansion they would of at least done something about this

Unless that was the old turkish way of taking a castle

You know how there are now different groups you can assign your troops to, (ie archer, cavalry, infantry etc..) maybe we could have something for spawn points as well? So, there is a possible 3 ladders as point of entry, maybe defenders could spawn and path to a ladder depending on their group? The same for attackers. Then a random contingent that spawns in where the least are.

attackrat said:
Fun fact: kittens were especially useful during sieges, both as an alternative to dropping rocks on attackers and as emergency rations when supplies ran low.
fact, you don't want a cat to be trown to you when you have low armor, they will use their claws when they land. would it kill somebody? nope, it only hurts like hell, maybe a bit of bleeding. in the end the cat would land, scratch the unfortunate lad it lands on (if it lands on anybody at all) and if its still alive from this all, run away. in fact, cats know more ways then humans, they might even show a weak spot to get in when trying to return to their litter box

they certainly need to do something about the sieges, one ladder/siege tower really isn't enough, and pretty sure siege towers looked more like the ones in multiplayer than the ones in single player o_O

MY THOUGHTS ON THE CASTLE IMPROVMENTS

1)  For ONE i think you should be able to upgrade the troops that are in the garrison after a battle were they gain experiance; where as now they just die, and recover form wounds, and dont gain any experiance. Instead of the curent, removing them from the castle and training them or fighting with them in your group.

2)  And secondly, i think that you should be able to try and sneak in the castle (like you do when you wonder around the courtyard) but instead of just looking around, you should be able to try and stealthily assassinate the gaurds who are watching for aproching armys. That way you can have a different attack route and have your troops storm through the gates while the defenders are still confused. But if you get cought trying to do this you go to jail and they raise the defences for a certain amount of time, and you have to seige it in a defferent methode.

I JUST THOUGHT THAT THOSE SUGGESTIONS WOULD MAKE THE GAME ALOT FUNNER WHILE ADDING A NEW CHALLENGE TO IT, VERSE THE SAME OLD STORM THE WALLS ON A LADDER, WERE YOU ARE GETTING BLOCKED AND KNOCKED OFF THE LADDER BY YOUR TROOPS ( making you loose preciouse health in the process).

Hope you like my ideas  :grin:

Thus spake Nosferatu said:
Well, these are all pretty generic ideas.  Having some staff like in BG II, with a few crises that pop up would be great.  Shops or craftsmen would be great.  Tons of things would be great, they all just take effort, though.

What the game mostly needs is more detail and to have fully flushed quests and stuff like this in it.  More real content.  Presumably this will happen in some form.

Arent you talking about Neverwinter nights 2?

You get a castle to build up,search for metals etc for your smithy and your soldiers armor and weapons. Assign farmers to farms (had to go look for the farmers) and so on and so forth.

Gozman said:
Possible prisoner interrogation, which is in reality just mission obtaining but with random elements involved as to whether you would actually get a mission.
-
Interrogation of prisoners to find locations of caravans with nice booty. This could be done in the style of getting a mission from a castle, but with a random success rate. It would cost you denars and time (like a rest at a Tavern) and you may not get anything out of it. Success rate would heighten with more prisoners and a higher prisoner management skill. Literally, just an "interrogate" button, no graphical choose body part to mangle/slap/burn or anything, it'd be too incongruous to the games overall structure. Oh, and it'd look silly.

that's actually one of the best ideas for a quest in native I've seen for a while, and it's 4 years old.
Does anyone have this in a mod,? cos it seems like a good idea.

Talking about castles gives me an idea!!!  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
What do you thin about when the castle or a city would be segued there would be also the battling ram that you could break down the door and enter the castle through doors!!!!  :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

What do you think is that possible????  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

suggestions by others that i'd support:
  • sneak inside with a small commando and open gates without raising alarm (should only be possible at night; if it fails all wounded are captured by the enemy - this may include you and/or your companions)
  • build a ramm (needs certain engineering skill, also takes time to construct) and break the gates open
  • construct catapults (very high engineering skill required, takes a long time to build); enables you to shoot a breach into the wall and also kills off some defenders
  • more building-options for castle-owners (blacksmith (see Lahrendiel, p.30), merchant (see Lahrendiel, p.30), training grounds [automatically trains troops to higher tier; one can choose which troops one needs; costs more money than normal])
  • add more life to castles (see Larhendiel, p.30)
  • Expand court (see Larhendiel, p.30)

i dont agree with the idea of more than one ladder/siege-tower as this would make defending against a strongly outnumbering enemy impossible (the ki wont be able to hold the other point of entry and i'd soon be surrounded and overwhelmed)

Thyris said:
suggestions by others that i'd support:
  • sneak inside with a small commando and open gates without raising alarm (should only be possible at night; if it fails all wounded are captured by the enemy - this may include you and/or your companions)
  • build a ramm (needs certain engineering skill, also takes time to construct) and break the gates open
  • construct catapults (very high engineering skill required, takes a long time to build); enables you to shoot a breach into the wall and also kills off some defenders
  • more building-options for castle-owners (blacksmith (see Lahrendiel, p.30), merchant (see Lahrendiel, p.30), training grounds [automatically trains troops to higher tier; one can choose which troops one needs; costs more money than normal])
  • add more life to castles (see Larhendiel, p.30)
  • Expand court (see Larhendiel, p.30)

i dont agree with the idea of more than one ladder/siege-tower as this would make defending against a strongly outnumbering enemy impossible (the ki wont be able to hold the other point of entry and i'd soon be surrounded and overwhelmed)
Someone admit this to the Devs.

one more thing concerning defending archers during a siege - one needs an option to send them to the walls (at the beginning of the siege they are spread out and in more or less good firing-position, but if ordered to move somewhere one will never get them back in a good formation to effectively shoot at the enemy without half of them standing at the point-of-entry or crowding on one section - same applies to reinforcing archers who will not strengthen the positions that have been thinned out by enemy fire but just move to the next best place). but worst of all is that a lot of my archers move into melee if the enemy is on the wall, even though there are enough infantrymen taking care of the intruders ... and those archers usually stay in close-combat untill they die, which happens quite fast. so i'd also suggest a skrimish order for far-ranged units, that makes them move away if an enemy comes too close and not engage in melee unless evasion is impossible.

i know this is a TRULY old game but this is the style of troop placement i was suggesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdxPxG5nVUU&feature=related

perhaps even building the castles in a similiar fashion as well would be awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_1t6LSNkNQ&feature=related

seriously if a game from 1992 can do it why in 2010 can we not?

General Darius said:
perhaps even building the castles in a similiar fashion as well would be awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_1t6LSNkNQ&feature=related

seriously if a game from 1992 can do it why in 2010 can we not?
Ooooo. It has an outer wall niiice.
Nowadays its more about graphics then game play or depth, we have graphics already so lets move on to the other things.

Would it be possible to build wooden forts? Not as strong or defend-able as a stone castle but you can build it anywhere. Such as along the border. Or by a river crossing.

Back
Top Bottom