Carry bastard sword like a two-hander?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ringwraith #5

Count
Old Guard
A simple question: Is it possible to make a bastard sword that is usable with a shield but is held vertically like a two-hander by the character when used separately? As far as I can tell, that is controlled by the "two handed" flag, but that makes it unusable with a shield. Any other way? I'm thinking messing with item_kinds1.txt isn't going to cut it, so maybe a more circuitous way? Anybody can think of anything, please?

No, they're carried in one hand when not executing an attack. Two-handers are held by both hands. Like so:

bastarda.jpg
twohanded.jpg

Had a quick look through the item capabilities of the Item Editor, I don't think you can do that... I think its to do with it being a "two handed wpn".

Yes, I figured out as much. That's why I'm asking the more knowledgeable folks around here if there's a way to work around that.

Bastard Swords don't really have a defined weapon type, instead they use itc_dagger as a base (which in turn uses itc_cleaver), with added two-handed attack animations. Weapon idle animations are dependent on their base types, so since the cleaver is a hard-coded one-handed item type, so will the bastard sword.
If you want, you can take advantage of the new weapon-switching capabilities of Warband, and define the bastard sword as two items, as follows:
Code:
["bastard_1h_a", "Bastard Sword", [("bastard_sword_a",0),("bastard_sword_a_scabbard", ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_one_handed_wpn|itp_merchandise|itp_primary|itp_next_item_as_melee, itc_longsword|itcf_carry_sword_left_hip|itcf_show_holster_when_drawn,
 294 , weight(2.0)|difficulty(9)|spd_rtng(74) | weapon_length(101)|swing_damage(26 , cut) | thrust_damage(20 ,  pierce),imodbits_sword_high ],
["bastard_2h_a", "Bastard Sword", [("bastard_sword_a",0),("bastard_sword_a_scabbard", ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_two_handed_wpn|itp_two_handed|itp_primary, itc_greatsword|itcf_carry_sword_left_hip|itcf_show_holster_when_drawn,
 294 , weight(2.0)|difficulty(9)|spd_rtng(98) | weapon_length(101)|swing_damage(35 , cut) | thrust_damage(26 ,  pierce),imodbits_sword_high ],

["bastard_1h_b", "Heavy Bastard Sword", [("bastard_sword_b",0),("bastard_sword_b_scabbard", ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_one_handed_wpn|itp_merchandise|itp_primary|itp_next_item_as_melee, itc_longsword|itcf_carry_sword_left_hip|itcf_show_holster_when_drawn,
 526 , weight(2.25)|difficulty(9)|spd_rtng(72) | weapon_length(105)|swing_damage(28 , cut) | thrust_damage(21 ,  pierce),imodbits_sword_high ],
["bastard_2h_b", "Heavy Bastard Sword", [("bastard_sword_b",0),("bastard_sword_b_scabbard", ixmesh_carry)], itp_type_two_handed_wpn|itp_two_handed|itp_primary, itc_greatsword|itcf_carry_sword_left_hip|itcf_show_holster_when_drawn,
 526 , weight(2.25)|difficulty(9)|spd_rtng(97) | weapon_length(105)|swing_damage(37 , cut) | thrust_damage(27 ,  pierce),imodbits_sword_high ],
Notice that I've reduced the speed and damage of the single-handed version by 25%, which is about the penalty for using a bastard sword 1-handed (or is it 30%?). When you press X, it will switch to the two-handed version without the need to put shields away by hand, and deal its regular damage. If you feel that the single-handed version looks like it deals too little damage, you can just add the second item beneath the original bastard swords, and add itp_next_item_as_melee to the old swords.

Back
Top Bottom