Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Users who are viewing this thread

It's been a long, long time since I last played a Carmageddon game. The only thing I remember of the controls is the all-important Backspace key, which would repair your car.

Double post, fornicate the gendarmerie.

So thanks to a spectacular individual, I am now in possession of the game. I played a couple of races and the game crashed while I was on my third. Couple of observations and points.

-It feels like a Carma! It looks like a Carma! **** yes!

-The developers aren't kidding when they fill every possible corner with "Caution: this is pre-alpha and very much an unfinished product!" type of messages. It's prone to crash and the optimization at this point is such that you'd need the space computer 10k to run it with a constantly smooth fps. There's three maps that look and feel like rough drafts and one of them doesn't really even have any textures either. Curiously they chose that for the "first run" race that you need to finish in order to unlock all the cars and races and pre-alpha options(no timer, no pedestrians, frozen ai etc.) There's a lot of missing sounds and other assets, too.

-It's stupidly fun already nonetheless.

-The AI is actually dangerous this time around. Maybe it's because you can't buy any permanent armour and power upgrades yet, but the enemy racers can and will **** you up if you aren't careful. They only seem to attack you as well, like in the previous games. If they remain this challenging throughout the released game, I hope they'll try to destroy each other as well.

-The damage physics are excellent. Tires will get blown, windows and parts get smashed and fly off, and bodywork can get twisted so that your car will end up in a V shape and you won't be able to drive because your front and back wheels are spinning in the air. I don't know if you can split cars in half which was my favourite finisher in Carma 2, but I'm very happy with it. I smashed the Twister(yellow monster truck with a big ass drill attached to the front) against a wall and it knocked his front axle off. He got super pissed and put the pedal to the metal, but as he couldn't exactly turn he just kept speeding into whatever wall was in front of him for the rest of the race. It was funny as ****.

-The blades, drills, spikes and such on the cars now seem to have an effect instead of just being there for visuals. Hitting the pedestrians with the sides and back of the Eagle seemed to only send them flying(unless hit at a very high speed) but if I knocked one on my hood he would get gibbed upon hitting the car's classic buzz saw blade. I'm not entirely sure to what lengths that goes, but it sure as hell seemed like my front tire got popped in a very minor crash against another car because it hit this spinning blade thing attached to the enemy vehicle's rim.

-Though the pedestrians' AI and animations leave a lot to desire(I really wish the game had euphoria physics,) it's still stupidly fun to run over them. Maybe it's the scores and extra rewards for combos and creative kills or maybe it's the time bonus, but if I saw a tight group of dozens of pedestrians, I abandoned everything else, sped towards them and loved every bit of mowing them down.

So I guess my words about giving the spare copy to an actual friend rather than a random online ******* didn't take, huh? :lol:

I would like to add that there were no further attempts to persuade anyone to gift me an extra version of the game. No fellatio or salad tossing was performed. Nope. None. I'm walking funny because I hurt my knee, that's all.

Oh yeah, it comes with 360 support. All the button prompts in the menus change from keys to gamepad buttons if you just flick a thumbstick. You can't customize any of the controls yet, which is unfortunate because I'm so used to having A as the handbrake button. It's now B.

EDIT: Woops, wasn't supposed to double post this time.

Some screenshots displaying the damage physics

VMOVeia.jpg

kf6e0KP.jpg

702WjM7.jpg

TQ32dES.jpg

1Fzqf8V.jpg

Nahkuri said:
Oh yeah, it comes with 360 support. All the button prompts in the menus change from keys to gamepad buttons if you just flick a thumbstick.
Awesome.

You can't customize any of the controls yet, which is unfortunate because I'm so used to having A as the handbrake button. It's now B.
-> https://code.google.com/p/magical-tools/wiki/Durazno

Back
Top Bottom