Captain perks are still not working correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

RodLimitless

Recruit
there's these captain perks but from what i read on this post (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/request-for-clarity-on-captain-combat-perks.429530/),

it states that the player is NEVER the captain unless he/she is in an army and gets assigned units.

therefore, making all captain perk bonuses completely useless , since they player will never be able to give the bonuses to troops unless in an army.

has this been fixed to where the player IS the default captain in every battle? does anyone know? thanks

Afaik that's the way it's suppose to be. The captain perks are designed for companions in your party to give whichever group they are assigned to a small bonus. They were never suppose to work the way you're thinking, so there's nothing to fix.

Afaik that's the way it's suppose to be. The captain perks are designed for companions in your party to give whichever group they are assigned to a small bonus. They were never suppose to work the way you're thinking, so there's nothing to fix.

but i thought the companions don't give that bonus either, no? i thought it was only for the player when he's in captain mode.

if the companions DO get that bonus, how does it activate it? do they have to be in the exact same formation as the troops??

so if i have a companion that in the party menu i assign him as archer, then will all archer formations get that buff? and also, if i get that same companion and assign him in party menu as cavalry, then will cavalry (3) THEN get those buffs??

like how do you get them to activate is what's unclear to me

The player can never be a governor, but there are plenty of governor perks. Part of the reason each perk has two effects is to allow almost all perks to be of use either to the player, to other party leaders, or to characters who are going to be governors or party companions.

if the companions DO get that bonus, how does it activate it? do they have to be in the exact same formation as the troops??

so if i have a companion that in the party menu i assign him as archer, then will all archer formations get that buff? and also, if i get that same companion and assign him in party menu as cavalry, then will cavalry (3) THEN get those buffs??

There are posts elsewhere about this and I've never worried about the details personally, but yes - a companion should provide captain perks to the formation he's assigned to. If you have more than one companion in a formation, if the captain is killed/wounded, another will become captain. Not sure how the first captain is decided...

but i thought the companions don't give that bonus either, no? i thought it was only for the player when he's in captain mode.

Incorrect the player will never give the bonus only companions. The first companion listed (from top down) will be assigned as the captain of whatever formation you put them in. If he/she is killed or knocked out the next one down the list in that formation becomes captain. If no one is assigned then there's no captain.

Can you elaborate a bit? I find the feature to be good although the perks can be better in general.
None of the captain or governor perks can be used by the player (who cannot choose to be captain or governor)
Only the Player can build a functional character that can even gain these perks.
So they're basically a complete waste, only your spouse(maybe) and story brother(maybe) will even have decent perks for captain/governor, but wont get anymore.
The bulk of units that can be governors or captains are stuck in progression and will never gain much.
You can't even choose on the order of battle screen "no stinky the bozo can't be the HA captain because he gotz no skillz, I want Ridy MC SHoot-s-man because he's got 2 perks" you just get whatever the game decides.

None of the captain or governor perks can be used by the player (who cannot choose to be captain or governor)
Only the Player can build a functional character that can even gain these perks.
So they're basically a complete waste, only your spouse(maybe) and story brother(maybe) will even have decent perks for captain/governor, but wont get anymore.
The bulk of units that can be governors or captains are stuck in progression and will never gain much.
You can't even choose on the order of battle screen "no stinky the bozo can't be the HA captain because he gotz no skillz, I want Ridy MC SHoot-s-man because he's got 2 perks" you just get whatever the game decides.
The realistic alternative would be two completely separate sets of perks - most likely, the existing perks would be split off, so only one perk per level: i.e. not actually gaining anything. And some characters (siblings, children) can be a companion/governor/party leader now, but potentially clan leader later.

I agree on the order of battle screen, that party leaders leading formations needs more control, as it causes a number of problems (like mounted party leaders captaining the infantry and running out ahead of them) and potentially wastes any useful captain perks they might have.

But family members, particularly younger siblings, children and some of the mid level potential spouses can certainly be developed to have useful skills and perks, governor or captain.

Can you elaborate a bit? I find the feature to be good although the perks can be better in general.
I'm not the poster, but I think it's weak and punishing not to let the player use captain perks to benefit their troops, or at least assign one formation to apply them to. Let me enjoy the game and apply bonus to my troops! It feels like punishment.

That is a good argument, but then what is the point of the "party leader". I think the captain perks are used when you are part of an army and you lead a formation (depending on the playstyle the frequency of this varies). But then, you need the AI to function with at least half a brain (we are not there yet).

My problem with the feature is with the governor perks. You can never use them. Perhaps they should apply when you are in one of your fiefs (owner or king) regardless if you have a governor there. This way you trade between extra bonuses and not moving to other things.

This is a whole different problem (slow skill progression) that is why I did not talk about it (and it is huge!). I think it would be nice if we could somehow re-spec in one way or another the companions we get. Not necessarily from 0 but I think you get my point.

Back
Top Bottom