MP (Captain mode suggestion) Points for arrows caught on shields, points for damage given, and more assists

Users who are viewing this thread

Aerational

Regular
Meat shield/first wave infantry needs love on the scoreboard too. The current point system in Captain mode really does not accurately reflect the impact you are having in a battle. There is a massive difference in the way a battle is fought from medieval times to now, but this game scorekeeps like a gun game. Being the first line in a shield wall was incredibly honorable, but likely to get you slaughtered. You were basically sacrificing yourselves to help the people behind you win the fight.

The rest of the army wouldn't be like "HEY TRY TO GET SOME KILLS NEXT TIME ASSHOLES". It's like the reason your asses aren't filled with arrows is because they went into mine. The reason that troop of infantry fell so easily to you is because my troop met them at their strongest and did a lot of damage, but get zero credit.

I have screen shot after screen shot of shield walls PILED with arrows and javelins. That helps my team immensely, but doesn't net any points. Being able to cohesively march a shield wall against enemy archers, protect ally archers, and any of the other thankless jobs you can do, is the stuff that quietly wins games. Like when you know your team is just gonna go DPS and dive headfirst into the enemy so you shield wall them to the enemy safely and just die once you get there... which I'm honestly happy to do. Commanding a shield wall of low level meat shield troops is by far my favorite part of the game, you just get zero love for it when it's very valuable.

You'll start to ignore the points after a few hundred games. Some units are just not meant to get a high score.

Gtfo, dawg. It's not about caring about points. I never have cared about them. What a I care about is obnoxious teammates complaining that you don't get enough kills because they are too stupid to realize you are shielding their asses into combat.

Last edited:
Gtfo, dawg. It's not about caring about points. I never have cared about them. What a I care about is obnoxious teammates complaining that you don't get enough kills because they are too stupid to realize you are shielding their asses into combat.

There is an option to mute them and carry on knowing your carrying their ass.

Meat shield/first wave infantry needs love on the scoreboard too. The current point system in Captain mode really does not accurately reflect the impact you are having in a battle. There is a massive difference in the way a battle is fought from medieval times to now, but this game scorekeeps like a gun game. Being the first line in a shield wall was incredibly honorable, but likely to get you slaughtered. You were basically sacrificing yourselves to help the people behind you win the fight.

The rest of the army wouldn't be like "HEY TRY TO GET SOME KILLS NEXT TIME ASSHOLES". It's like the reason your asses aren't filled with arrows is because they went into mine. The reason that troop of infantry fell so easily to you is because my troop met them at their strongest and did a lot of damage, but get zero credit.

I have screen shot after screen shot of shield walls PILED with arrows and javelins. That helps my team immensely, but doesn't net any points. Being able to cohesively march a shield wall against enemy archers, protect ally archers, and any of the other thankless jobs you can do, is the stuff that quietly wins games. Like when you know your team is just gonna go DPS and dive headfirst into the enemy so you shield wall them to the enemy safely and just die once you get there... which I'm honestly happy to do. Commanding a shield wall of low level meat shield troops is by far my favorite part of the game, you just get zero love for it when it's very valuable.

I don't see the problem? If you win, that is already credit enough.

Total War: Arena gave points for absolutely every kind of behavior; damage (separating raw and penetration), kills, capping points, doing damage from in hiding, using high ground or tactical advantages, staying alive, defending allies and the list goes on. You could look at the scoreboard at the end of a match and see precisely what role a player was trying to fill and how successful they were at it. I really wish this system was in captain mode, if for any reason, it promotes trying different tactics and strategies other than pure kill count and helps give everyone on a team, filling any role, a feeling of value even if all you did was successfully distract the enemy from reaching a capture point in time.

Back
Top Bottom