Captain Mode needs your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

I stated my opinion and you decided to personally attack me and this is your response. Grow up. I don't want a bunch of random players of an unfinished game involved with balancing. Pretty simple. Considering that was how you replied, it's laughable you would ever consider any opinions I did choose to forward to you.
ROFL... Dude... I'm a pretty sensitive person... but this is next level. Sometimes you just have to breathe between responses so you can actually read what is written and then you're not replying to what is in your head :smile:

"I can think of no better players to ask to help test than the players of Captain's League." Really? Because they can create a topic and select players from volunteers, finding players for testing the faction balance is the easiest part of the job if they were to do something about it and I'ld rather have independent players do the testing rather than a single group.

I'ld add to the list the seperation of solo queues from group queues and would also add cavalry AI improvement and increasing thrust damage and decreasing that nonsense minimum damage range (whatever they are calling it) while mounted aganist targets on foot. You give weapon selection choice to the melee foot soldiers and focus fire to the ranged units and cavalry in its' current form will become basically useless with its' current state. People tend to flame the cavs who "rambo" but really, the cavalry AI is just broken to the point that they just go around the map like a bunch of headless chicken.

Edit: Forgot to add that there should be a command range, once a commander makes a unit stay at a place, he can't command them from a far distance until he gets close enough to his troops again. That would introduce some risk to leaving troops at spawn or worse, places in the maps that seem like they were "made for that particular purpose".

Last edited:
"I can think of no better players to ask to help test than the players of Captain's League." Really? Because they can create a topic and select players from volunteers, finding players for testing the faction balance is the easiest part of the job if they were to do something about it and I'ld rather have independent players do the testing rather than a single group.

I'ld add to the list the seperation of solo queues from group queues and would also add cavalry AI improvement and increasing thrust damage and decreasing that nonsense minimum damage range (whatever they are calling it) while mounted aganist targets on foot. You give weapon selection choice to the melee foot soldiers and focus fire to the ranged units and cavalry in its' current form will become basically useless with its' current state. People tend to flame the cavs who "rambo" but really, the cavalry AI is just broken to the point that they just go around the map like a bunch of headless chicken.
Captains League isn't a hivemind or an echochamber, its a collection of several different independent clans and even solo casual players who enjoy the game mode and many of them have thousands of wins in captain mode. I can tell you alot of them have widely differing opinions and playstyles and they rarely if ever agree with eachother on most things. This includes members of the Taleworlds development team who are also members of Captains League having their own team that participated in season 2 under captain AVRC. This statement was just to say that these players are a willing and qualified resource for Taleworlds to work with if they want to test things with the mode, it would make sense that you would want the most experienced players to participate in testing. It's basically "We're willing to help if you want us to." nothing more. And judging by the cooperation we have had with TW in the past it seems they too see the value in working alongside this community. We aren't exclusive or anything anyone is welcome to join, whether you have 0 wins in the mode or over 3,000, and if you ever seek to play the gamemode competitively I welcome you to participate in some great matches with the other clans in the future.

I agree with your points about cavalry ai being useless and that rambo is the only legitimate way to currently use them effectively, however I disagree with you that that should be the reason to not improve other aspects of the game mode and not make other underused classes such as archers and skirmishers more useful. Taleworlds has said they are working to improve the cavalry Ai so that it will in fact be useful and I would like to believe that they will eventually achieve this. Once this is achieved I don't see how "focus fire" would be detrimental at all if and when the cavalry ai is functional and effective. If you would like to know a preview of the top most voted improvements on the list so far, eliminating rambo is #1 currently.

I also really like your suggestion about command range for the captain, this is a great idea and potential solution for the current "rambo issue" and could possibly be a change that helps to improve overall gameplay. Although I wonder how effective it would be to counter cavalry rambo who typically cycle charge and often retreat to reposition their troops when they are threatened. It's something I would like to see tested though.

I look forward to more feedback, this is why I opened this thread to the wider community so i'm not too sure why people are thinking that I am suggesting captains league players should be the only ones to have input. I truly want to hear and see what everyone thinks and feels about the mode, otherwise I would have just kept this survey within the discord.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with this @Ling*
I also feel this way about Captain, I had more fun playing Captain during the beta and the first few months of the game than right now, on top of my head, the best update they did was to Battania , they should have also fixed the Aserai but instead they decided to nerf Empire ( used to be one of my fav faction to play with), also the nerfs they did to some weapons that ruined the entire unit(menav unit for the empire) .
But the thing that ruined the game for me was all the nerf they did to the archer and skirmish class, I haven't used any of this units for months now because how bad and useless they are, and I loved to used it, they were deadly when used right and shooting a bow or crossbow felt right... now it's not and I hate it

No
The sooner every trace of this mode dies, the better. There's nothing competitive about killing bots
Go play singleplayer or NW. Why they'd implement this but leave out an actual Battle mode is beyond me

No
The sooner every trace of this mode dies, the better. There's nothing competitive about killing bots
Go play singleplayer or NW. Why they'd implement this but leave out an actual Battle mode is beyond me
Could you clarify what exactly "Battle mode" is? I have seen it suggested constantly but seeing as how I never played NW I don't really understand what it entails. I would like for people to be able to play any game mode they enjoy, I wouldn't wish for Skirmish to suddenly die out just because I don't like playing it lol. I'll give a +1 to battle mode even though i'm not quite sure what its mechanics are.

No
Could you clarify what exactly "Battle mode" is? I have seen it suggested constantly but seeing as how I never played NW I don't really understand what it entails. I would like for people to be able to play any game mode they enjoy, I wouldn't wish for Skirmish to suddenly die out just because I don't like playing it lol. I'll give a +1 to battle mode even though i'm not quite sure what its mechanics are.
Battle is a game mode with one life. NW is a DLC that also used battle mode for line battles.

@Poddicus Multiplayer modes dont need to pass some contrived definition of competitiveness in order to be fun.

Battle is a game mode with one life. NW is a DLC that also used battle mode for line battles.
So like tdm or large scale skirmish with one life? Sounds like alot more fun than those other two modes that have multiple respawns. For some reason I always thought of battle as being a descriptor for a larger scale captain with more commanders and more ai but it seems i was wayyy off, thanks for the clarification.

So like tdm or large scale skirmish with one life? Sounds like alot more fun than those other two modes that have multiple respawns. For some reason I always thought of battle as being a descriptor for a larger scale captain with more commanders and more ai but it seems i was wayyy off, thanks for the clarification.

It has little to do with Captain Mode (a 2.0 version of NW's Commander Battle mode) but Battle mode was practically the backbone of the competitive spectrum in Warband with overwhelming acceptance by the community and was poised to be the seed for future approaches to e-sports with the community's blessing.

Taleworlds unilaterally decided that this had to change... +info here (but interesting reading from page #1)

Edit: Forgot to add that there should be a command range, once a commander makes a unit stay at a place, he can't command them from a far distance until he gets close enough to his troops again. That would introduce some risk to leaving troops at spawn or worse, places in the maps that seem like they were "made for that particular purpose".
Maybe if you were a part of the CL community, you'd know that most people in it advocate for pretty much the same changes as you do.

There have been a lot of great suggestions so far! I hope to see more ideas coming in to get a wider range of opinions from different perspectives, once an appropriate amount of time has passed and we get more responses I will share the results of the survey in this this thread so everyone can see and have a good understanding for what everybody wants. Keep it up guys and gals :smile:

I agree with your points about cavalry ai being useless and that rambo is the only legitimate way to currently use them effectively, however I disagree with you that that should be the reason to not improve other aspects of the game mode and not make other underused classes such as archers and skirmishers more useful.
It might have sounded like it but I meant "if they were to implement these features, they better rework cavalry since in its' current state they will become useless since enemy inf switching to spear and diverting archers are two main points why people would pick cavalry.". I didn't mean "No, these shouldn't be implemented because then cavalry will become useless.".
I also really like your suggestion about command range for the captain, this is a great idea and potential solution for the current "rambo issue" and could possibly be a change that helps to improve overall gameplay. Although I wonder how effective it would be to counter cavalry rambo who typically cycle charge and often retreat to reposition their troops when they are threatened. It's something I would like to see tested though.
At least if you managed to kill him and take his horse, his troops will be close by, otherwise if he made them stay in a distant place, it'll be harder for him to pull out his troops in case of danger, he will have to get back to the command range and by the time he does that it might cost him a few more units than usual if not all. I think this would be a good enough affect to discourage ramboing but the main thing is TW needs to ensure ramboing isn't the only valid strategy and cavalry should be better at charging.

No
i think they left out battle mode bc

1. they thought people would be frustrated waiting in-between rounds when they died
(although the solution would be just to have 1 round and have battle in matchmaking to make matches easier/quicker to find)

2. the class system doesnt fit in well with battle mode,
if it were only 1 life people would just pick heavy cav;
the small upgrades between rounds on armor and weapons were a great feature with the gold customization system of warband, i am sure a mod of that will dominate bannerlord when private servers will release
but with the 1 round adaptation with the matchmaking system i would suggest what napolean did in napoleon with certain classes having limits(na 1 official) so that only a couple people could be skirmisher or cavalry
i do not see why this couldnt be implemented in a battle mode

battle mode would show the flaw each class has in not being able to select their own equipment,

like heavy classes not being able to select the quickest weapon to counteract their slow walking speed, or lightest classes not being able to pick heavy damage 2 handed weapons

the only class that has a decent fast weapon and running speed is savage class, but they dont even have a shield.

the problem with not being able to choose your own armor and equipment will be alot more apparent in battle mode and i think taleworlds is afraid of it (no offense taleworlds i love your game)

This will be the last week that the survey will be open before all of the suggestions are gathered and consolidated into one comprehensive list of the top 10 most requested features. If you haven't already, now is a great time to leave your feedback!

Back
Top Bottom