Resolved Can't start Warband all of the sudden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi!

Please excuse the long post, but I feel I should be as detailed as possible, as this never happened to me with any program, not just Warband.

About a month ago, I played Warband no problem on my Windows 11 OS. However, yesterday I tried to replay it (I had it in my Steam Library, so never uninstalled it) the launcher started, but pressing 'play' didn't execute the game, and pressing 'configure' completely froze the launcher. On top of that, I couldn't even exit the game through steam. When I opened the task manager, I saw that the game was "running" even though nothing was showing. And when I tried to stop the task, it didn't do anything, but freeze my Task manager as well.

I've searched the forums and Reddit, but none of these solutions worked :

-Reinstalling the game through steam.

-Reinstalling the game through the Taleworlds intaller.

-Reinstalling DirectX.

-Updating MS Visual C++ Run time Library.

-Removing/Renaming the "rgl_config.txt" file.

-Removing the AppData folder.

-Disabling OneDrive.

-Disabling Windows Defender.

-Disabling all Startup applications.

-Updating all Graphics Drivers.

-Run Malwarebytes and CCleaner.

There are somethings I found strange, that I thought I should mention :

-After reinstalling the game, when opening it, the launcher doesn't show anymore, but it creates the "rgl_config.txt" file.

-The launcher DOES show if I enter the "rgl_config.txt" file, and change 'first_time' to 0, but it doesn't respond.

I'm posting this thread, because I really don't see a way out of this. I assume it has to do with Windows 11, but I have no way of knowing. Any help at all is appreciated.

Thank you!

EDIT : Forgot to include tags. Sorry about that.

Solution
In a desperate attempt, I ended up reinstalling Windows 11, and now it works flawlessly.
Still, curious about what happened, but whatever.. Thanks everyone!! :smile:
Back
Top Bottom