• The forum has been updated. For an explanation of some of the changes, head over here.

Can't decide between EU3 collections and HOI2 DD?

Currently viewing this thread:

I want to get one of the two paradox games Europa Universalis 3 collections or Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday for my laptop (HOI 3 won't run) and I am not sure which one to get.

I am interested in both timelines equally so that is not an issue. I know EU3 is over a much longer timeline but I am guessing that the pure intensity of HOI 2 being a world war makes up for the lack of years in EU where diplomacy and other factors probably come into play more.


I have never played a strategy game like this before (or any strategy game) and understand they are complicated and am willing to learn. Historical accuracy is a bonus for me but I am not the kind of gamer where inaccuracy will ruin my game, it is important but not that important that it has a big bearing on my choice.


For those who have played both:

Which game has the best AI?

Which game would you say is the most rewarding?

Which game is the most fun/exciting?


Which would you suggest and why?


I have been trying to make a decision for a week now and I still don't know. It is not worth getting both as either game has a massive lifespan I reckon meaning the other would just be left.



 
If you never played any strategy game before you'll find both to have a rather steep learning curve.
[as in: run head first into a brick wall]

Have you tried playing demos? Not that the HOI2 one is any good but still.
 

Kamos32

Baron
M&BWB
What he said but I'll add a bit more:
- EU3 has better AI hands down, HoI2 is mainly guided by scripts and events.
- Both are fairly rewarding, defeating someone in either game is an accomplishment.
- Depends on whats fun to you, HoI tends to be faster paced but EU3 is multitudes deeper.

I'd say EU3 myself as it's far more variable aside, in HoI it basically goes the same every time with minor variations.
Germany grows, takes over France attacks USSR
Axis fights Allies Comintern
USA fights Japan
Axis/Japan defeated unless player is in Axis or interferes from a third party position.
All other events negligible.
 
Kamos32 said:
in HoI it basically goes the same every time with minor variations.
Germany grows, takes over France attacks USSR
Axis fights Allies Comintern
USA fights Japan
Axis/Japan defeated unless player is in Axis or interferes from a third party position.
All other events negligible.
There's always the chance of something like in the "Democracy's Last Legs" AAR happening. Frigging AI controlled Germany made human controlled USA and GB cry for mommy, forcing GB to surrender and breaking the US into a bunch of remnants of former glory, torn by civil war :razz:
Unfortunately their forums seem to be down, so I can't link it right now.
 

wadedidit!

Regular
WB
Well, your in for a treat with either.

For historical accuracy HOI2 is definately better than HOI3 anyway and a much better game and it alows multi-threading.

But EU3 is also a great game and like mentioned before the AI is superb.

Honestly, if your trying to split the 2, I would say, go on steam and buy them both!

I am a massive Paradoxian Fanboy and have heaps of tips so feel free to PM me is you have questions once you start a game and whatever you do, don't cheat, just ajust the dificulty level, cheating takes all the fun out of both these games!
 

HTAPAWASO

Master Knight
M&BWB
I prefer EUIII, and indeed it's one of my favourite games.

I also found it quite a lot easier to get into, probably just because it does not look so dated.
 
I have both and I love them equally, so can't be of any help of you there. But if you decide upon HOI2, buy the newly released "Arsenal of Democracy" instead. It's basically a greatly overhauled HOI2 DD:A, and it is awesome. Makes HOI2 DD:A a tad pointless.
 
Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems that EU3 is the most recommended.

I have played the demos of both for a short while and I have read the manuals of both. I got a good incling from both demos and it seems complicated but I saw that each game has tutorial scenarios to build up your ability and I would much rather use them to learn the game than the demo.

Is "arsenal of democracy" a standalone game?

Thanks wadedidit, I won't cheat, I make a point of it in M&B and won't here.
 

Kamos32

Baron
M&BWB
Wellenbrecher said:
Kamos32 said:
in HoI it basically goes the same every time with minor variations.
Germany grows, takes over France attacks USSR
Axis fights Allies Comintern
USA fights Japan
Axis/Japan defeated unless player is in Axis or interferes from a third party position.
All other events negligible.
There's always the chance of something like in the "Democracy's Last Legs" AAR happening. Frigging AI controlled Germany made human controlled USA and GB cry for mommy, forcing GB to surrender and breaking the US into a bunch of remnants of former glory, torn by civil war :razz:
Unfortunately their forums seem to be down, so I can't link it right now.

Oh no doubt I'm just saying EU3 is just more prone to drastic differences.
And: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383880
 
Nameless Warrior said:
Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems that EU3 is the most recommended.

I have played the demos of both for a short while and I have read the manuals of both. I got a good incling from both demos and it seems complicated but I saw that each game has tutorial scenarios to build up your ability and I would much rather use them to learn the game than the demo.

Is "arsenal of democracy" a standalone game?

Thanks wadedidit, I won't cheat, I make a point of it in M&B and won't here.

Yep, Arsenal of Democracy is a standalone game.
 

Jhessail

Panzervixen
Master Knight
You seriously need to get them both. Yes, they are both massive games. But they are the sort of games you can keep playing for years and years. Especially with various user created mobs available, just like with M&B.

And maybe, just maybe, after you have mastered them both, you are ready for Victoria 2 when it ships in a year or two  :wink:
 

An4Sh

Count
Kamos32 said:
What he said but I'll add a bit more:
- EU3 has better AI hands down, HoI2 is mainly guided by scripts and events.
Wrong, HoI2 is affected by scripts but the AI is much, much better and will use every resource availabe to destroy you from rockets, bombing your industry, using aircraft carriers to destroy your ported ships, tanks to encircle you and finish you off with infantry. Everything. This is in comparison to EU3s AI that throws units in small stacks at you to die.
- Both are fairly rewarding, defeating someone in either game is an accomplishment.
Again wrong, while defeating a powerful opponent in HoI2 is very hard and will take many, many years of intense fighting, in EU3 you have several big battles and then one of the sides simply collapses. 
- Depends on whats fun to you, HoI tends to be faster paced but EU3 is multitudes deeper.
Games in HoI2 last a lot longer for me than in EU3.

That said, I have around 250 hours on EU3 and 150 on HoI2.
 

jasonxfri13th

Sergeant Knight
M&BWB
Arsenal of Democracy is only $20 and basically a pimped out HOI2.

I would highly recommend it, and by the time you get the hang of the game some good mods should be out.
 
I have ordered EU3 complete and I will pick up age of democracy when I have exhausted it. By then it should be patched up and have some more mods.
 

Kamos32

Baron
M&BWB
An4Sh said:
Kamos32 said:
What he said but I'll add a bit more:
- EU3 has better AI hands down, HoI2 is mainly guided by scripts and events.
Wrong, HoI2 is affected by scripts but the AI is much, much better and will use every resource availabe to destroy you from rockets, bombing your industry, using aircraft carriers to destroy your ported ships, tanks to encircle you and finish you off with infantry. Everything. This is in comparison to EU3s AI that throws units in small stacks at you to die.
- Both are fairly rewarding, defeating someone in either game is an accomplishment.
Again wrong, while defeating a powerful opponent in HoI2 is very hard and will take many, many years of intense fighting, in EU3 you have several big battles and then one of the sides simply collapses. 
- Depends on whats fun to you, HoI tends to be faster paced but EU3 is multitudes deeper.
Games in HoI2 last a lot longer for me than in EU3.

That said, I have around 250 hours on EU3 and 150 on HoI2.

Yes well reflecting on things:
HoI2 is for when you want to fight war.
EU3 is for when you want to play politics.

But I do disagree with you somewhat, I still view defeated a powerful enemy in EU3 as an accomplishment and it's AI is better just not so much from a war perspective.
 
I consider them both pretty dull. Dunno why I keep buying them in fact, probably some misplaced hope that they might actually have made things a little more interesting this time around.
 
Archonsod said:
I consider them both pretty dull. Dunno why I keep buying them in fact, probably some misplaced hope that they might actually have made things a little more interesting this time around.

Is it the slow speed that made it dull for you? or just that you don't feel rewarded enough for all the time you put in?
 
Top Bottom