Can't ask for Quests

Users who are viewing this thread

I have been playing my current save for a few weeks (real life) and I have been able to ask lords if they had any quests available. But now, every time I talk to a lord the option to ask for quests is not even there. It doesn't matter what faction or what lord, none of them have the option anymore. Is there a way to fix this?

*EDIT* So now I am able to ask for quests now, but for the future, is there something that would have caused this to happen?

Yes, this bug happens the first time in any playthrough that you ask a lord (or maybe just a faction head, unsure) for quests twice in a row, triggering the "I don't have any other tasks for you right now" dialogue.

After that, for several days no lords anywhere in the world have the dialogue option to ask for quests. Then, after some time passes, the dialogue option reappears on them, and later in the same playthrough the bug is less severe and doesn't seem to trigger as often or broadly or last as long. A very weird bug, and I haven't fully figured out how it works yet.

Same if you ask them to speak in private, if they don't want to for whatever reason then the option disappears on all lords for a few days.

AfLIcTeD said:
Same if you ask them to speak in private, if they don't want to for whatever reason then the option disappears on all lords for a few days.

it is a normal feature for a cooldown period before requests

a bug would be if you can't ask ever again

No, Aflicted said ALL lords--the normal cooldown would be if can't ask that particular lord again until the cooldown expires, not that every lord in the world has the cool down applied to them, but only the first time it happens in a saved game.

But that is all moot anyway--asking to speak in private does not even normally have a cooldown even for the one lord you asked. I can walk up to a lord, ask to speak in private, fail, exit dialogue, immediately restart dialogue, and there the option is again. The option disappears for the duration of that talk, but there is no cooldown at all.

This bug is that something very weird is happening with dialogue options that are supposed to disappear just for a particular conversation, where instead they are disappearing for days and for all lords, but only the first time in a playthrough that you ask. I've only observed the bug with repeat asking for tasks, but given Aflicted's report it seems the same bug can be triggered more broadly.

Tingyun said:
I've only observed the bug with repeat asking for tasks, but given Aflicted's report it seems the same bug can be triggered more broadly.

dialogs are very simple (code-wise), then have a set of conditions that decide if they should show up or not. If a particular dialog is not there (and a player thinks it should be), bring the screenshot / copy the text of said dialog, which makes finding it and checking the conditions easier.

a example: dialog that is presented when talking to a enemy vassal

Code:
  [anyone|plyr,"party_encounter_lord_hostile_attacker_2", [
      (is_between, "$g_talk_troop", active_npcs_begin, active_npcs_end),
      (neg|faction_slot_eq, "$g_talk_troop_faction", slot_faction_leader, "$g_talk_troop"),
      (store_and, reg0, "$option_switches", lord_option_private),
      (eq, reg0, 0), ],
    "Stay your hand! There is something I must tell you in private.", "lord_recruit_1_relation", []],

option_switch is a VC thingy, so any unexpected behavior (on this example) is most likely linked to it. In other words, it does not work like in Native. Which is not the same as to say it is free of bugs. That is why support forum and bug reports can help.

At some point too onerous bug reporting requirements filled with red-tape has a chilling effect on receiving bug reports.

I am not going to screenshot lord dialogue screens missing a dialogue option. That would provide 0 relevant info for this bug, as we all know the dialogue option should disappear anyway in that conversation--but the issue is it instead is doing so the first time in a playthrough for all lords and for days. A screenshot provides nothing to aid in understanding that.

Besides, this isn't my bug report--I am providing supplemental info that tells the developers exactly how to reproduce a bug reported by others. If every time I provide that useful info I have to also upload screenshots and saved games, I'm pretty much not going to chime in, and then info is lost.

Bottom line--there is no way this isn't a bug, because it only happens once in any given playthrough. Either the bug is the first time, option improperly disappearing, or the later times, when it doesn't disappear, but something is certainly bugged.

Steps to reproduce OP's bug: start any new playthrough. Ask a lord (or possibly faction head only) for quests twice in a row, triggering "I don't have any other tasks for you right now" dialogue. Now for several days no lord will have option to ask for quests, then after the dialogue option reappears then for the rest of the playthrough it doesn't seem to happen again, at least not as widely, even if you ask a lord for quests repeatedly.

And now, I am going back to playing VC rather than hanging out in forums. :wink:

Tingyun said:
At some point too onerous bug reporting requirements filled with red-tape has a chilling effect on receiving bug reports.

not sure why you are thinking I am talking to you directly

kalarhan said:
That is why support forum and bug reports can help.
that is clearly a general point to any report and in no way, shape, form or color related to you as you are not even the OP  :razz:

Tingyun said:
Steps to reproduce OP's bug
that is the kind of information that helps. Step by step, relevant screens, copy of the text in the screen, savegame, etc. If not clear to any random person reading this: devs can't reproduce something if they don't have enough information, and if they can't reproduce it, they can't find out if it is a bug or not, or fix if it is a bug

kalarhan said:
not sure why you are thinking I am talking to you directly

Because you quoted my post and then wrote directly under that quote:

kalarhan said:
If a particular dialog is not there (and a player thinks it should be), bring the screenshot / copy the text of said dialog

I was responding to that, not to the later part of your post that was indeed clearly a general point. If you quote someone, they will logically assume what you write directly beneath that quote is responding to them directly. :wink:

At any rate, no problem if that was a misunderstanding, let's drop it then to avoid getting this thread off topic.

Back
Top Bottom