Resolved Cannot save the game

Users who are viewing this thread

Thank you for the information, this will help a lot, too.

Had the same issue for a while now (since 1.42 was beta). The .tmp.sav files are only 1kb, but they are located in the same folder as the older versions ( This PC > Documents > Mount and Blade II Bannerlord > Game Saves > Native)

And dear Taleworld, you really need to fix this guys. It seems to be happening to more and more people with each update. Not being able to save your game is pretty much second only to not being able to launch or install your game when it comes to deal-breakers. :smile: Just my humble opinion.

Keep up your great work, and I'll go back to 1.41 for now...

After searching through some forums, somebody suggested I go check if the save game folder is set to read only, which it indeed was. So I removed the check mark for "read only", started the game, created a new character, tried to save - and it didn't work. But then I went back and took a look at the Steamapps/common/M&BB folder, and it was again set as read only. Maybe this could help you.

Edit: Yeah, I can definitively confirm, whenever I start the native.exe (which I have to use because the main exe is buggy for me, see in above posts), my PC changes the game files to read only. OS is Windows 10.

2nd Edit: Okay so since I start the native.exe in admin mode this shouldn't cause any issues, right? So yeah maybe this doesn't help after all.

Interesting. Will test it.

I just tested version 1.4.2 before reading this, and it doesn't work. Interesting though: I have to manually give the native.exe a trustworthy rating in Kaspersky Antivirus or I will get the message "cannot access save file location". When doing so it goes back to the already known "cannot create save file". So yeah I think we can ultimately confirm that the issue isn't due to access rights anymore like it was for example in April. The suggestion that it might be because of the rework of save file sizes surely sounds legit, considering that this issue got re-introduced in 1.4.2 where they tackled the file size.

Fun fact: I have never played the tutorial before.

For me it solved it that I went to the toturial and then said to him that I was done. If leaving via tab it was still bugged.

It seemed to stop making me able to save that I loaded the game that started the bug, then I deleted all save files and restarted the game, then I could save again.

The first time I could get it to work I did not delete saves, but reinstalled the game and then started a new campaign following the steps above. Then I could also load and save in my old savegames (except the one that started the bug)

So essentially, try reinstalling, start a new game and enter the toturial area and leave by telling your brother that you are ready to leave.

I have only played half an hour after that, so I do not know of the bug will reappear.

I think not leaving the toturial area via the brother dialogue creates the bug, which then stops saving in any save game.

I was reporting i could not save and the thing also weirdly retroactivly stopped me from saving. on older saves wich worked fine previosly.

Hi, are you talking about a different bug, or are you too reporting that you cannot save your game?

I was very angry about this bug happening to me it's highly likely to be mod related but I still suspect it's just a bug that isn't apparent when you don't ad mods and is actually a vanilla bug.

I have been playing full vanilla + troop sorting and autoupgrading mod only, and I am very pleased.
The game being unplayable without the not being forced to have a conversation isn't true anymore because the loading of the backdrop was fixed.

Its still very annoying to have to go through 2 menus in 2 different GUI’s tho.

PS. I also apologize for being a winy little ***** in this thread I was very angry I couldn't play the game I'm super addicted to.

Last edited:
This is what my log says:

[12:48:17.2083052] SaveContext::Save

[12:48:17.9535525] SaveContext::CollectObjects took 745 ms.

[12:48:18.9297632] SaveContext::Saving Objects took 976 ms.

[12:48:20.4351322] SaveContext::Saving Containers took 1498 ms.

[12:48:20.4351322] SaveContext::SaveObjects config took 0 ms.

[12:48:20.4391359] SaveContext::SaveObjects strings took 4 ms.

[12:48:20.4521476] SaveContext::FinalizeAndGetBinaryHeaderDataConcurrent took 13 ms.

[12:48:20.4531493] SaveContext::FinalizeAndGetBinaryStringDataConcurrent took 0 ms.

[12:48:20.4531493] SaveContext::Save took 3244 ms.

[12:48:20.6042862] Save Context took 3396 ms.

[12:48:20.6042862] Couldn't save because of errors listed below.

[12:48:20.6042862] [0]MonoPosixHelper assembly:<unknown assembly> type:<unknown type> member:sad:null)

Can anybody please translate this to plain English?

Mentioned this before, but will repeat. Using the native.exe because the main exe is bugged for me, no mods. Version 1.4.3 main branch

Last edited:
As of the newest beta 1.5.1 I am suddenly having this issue. I checked my firewall and it says Bannerlord is safe. It doesn't appear that OneDrive is affecting my Documents at all and it happened on a brand new campaign as well as an old campaign that was loaded with beta 1.5.1.

I tried reducing the number of saves I had to a significantly smaller number and this did not help. I loaded earlier saves for the same campaign and that did not help. My game in general will not save any longer. Just this morning I was having no issues and I cannot explain why I am suddenly having issues although it only happened when I opted into 1.5.1 today so I will likely be forced to revert to 1.5.

Interesting how more and more people get this issue. Did reverting to 1.5.0 help you?

No unfortunately. Neither did reinstalling, nor verifying the game files. My game crashed trying to load an old save after reverting. I have one other thing to attempt but it's more PC in depth so I can't make guarantees of success.

No unfortunately. Neither did reinstalling, nor verifying the game files. My game crashed trying to load an old save after reverting. I have one other thing to attempt but it's more PC in depth so I can't make guarantees of success.

I haven't bothered reinstalling because verifying the game files is basically the same thing and the game is kinda huge. People always claim it has to be with the read only that Windows 10 does but having your exe have admin rights goes around that anyway. Your antivirus could block the exe but when you make the exe trustworthy that's no issue anymore as well. So I am certain that there is nothing I can do on my end. Just wait for a fix.

I haven't bothered reinstalling because verifying the game files is basically the same thing and the game is kinda huge. People always claim it has to be with the read only that Windows 10 does but having your exe have admin rights goes around that anyway. Your antivirus could block the exe but when you make the exe trustworthy that's no issue anymore as well. So I am certain that there is nothing I can do on my end. Just wait for a fix.

I just did the final attempt at a workaround with regards to the OneDrive/Documents location of saves changing it to the default location in the User/Documents and it made no difference. I cannot play this game at all because I can't progress at all now which is incredibly disappointing. I've poured about 850 hours into the game over the last 2 months or so. Pretty saddened by this but its out of my control at this point.

Well I disabled OneDrive a long time ago, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Wow, you really are addicted to this game. It's *really* sad then that it's bugged for you now.

Well I disabled OneDrive a long time ago, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Wow, you really are addicted to this game. It's *really* sad then that it's bugged for you now.

I definitely play it a lot but I don't like... get itchy when I can't play it. It doesn't interrupt my life or anything. I just happened to have a lot of time on my hands and not much to do so I played a lot. What time I do have now I don't want to play at all until I can solve this save game issue or until TW can issue a patch / hot fix to address it. Haha, addicted though? Sort of.

*scratching intensifies*

Yeah playing without being able to save your progress doesn't make any sense. I started over like 20 times already to test saving and it isn't even fun anymore to play for a while because you know nothing you do really matters because in the end when you quit the game all progress will be lost.

Back
Top Bottom