Cannot save my modified module.ini file, help please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Drahcir

Recruit
So I have been away from  Mount and Blade for a little while (went through a divorce and moved clear across the country).  I come back and dig up my serial key and get it going.  I read about all these new awesome mods to improve the Native game (which I enjoy).

I downloaded 2 (going to get more later).  I am following the directions and I modified my module.ini file in notepad (Windows Vista by the way).  Once I hit save it says this...

"Cannot create the C:\Program Files
(x86)\Mount&Blade\Modules\Native\module.ini file.

Make sure that the path and file name are correct."

I double checked and have redone it a few times and everytime it tells me this.  I am just trying to save over the original module.ini file so I can load those mods.  What should I do?

Thank you in advance for any help you give me.

Edit: Oh and I tried searching for an answer, but I couldn't find one.  I think this might be a Win Vista lack of experience issue on my behalf, but I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

Why would you have to edit the module.ini file?
I've never had to do that sort of thing.

PrinceGhaldir said:
Why would you have to edit the module.ini file?
I've never had to do that sort of thing.

I downloaded one that changes the appearance of the arrows/missles.  The instructions say to do this...

"Open module.ini, add a line that says:

load_mod_resource = missiles

Also, make sure you change

scan_module_textures = 0 to
scan_module_textures = 1"

You can find the link here... http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=905

I checked to see if the file was protected or set as hidden and it isn't.

Program Files is a protected location. Changing files there requires admin elevation. There are two ways to edit this file:

1. Make a copy of the file somewhere, edit it there, then copy it back (confirming the overwrite and admin prompt when asked).
2. Launch Notepad in administrator mode (right click on its Start Menu entry to do this) and then navigate to the file you want to edit.

Darian said:
Program Files is a protected location. Changing files there requires admin elevation. There are two ways to edit this file:

1. Make a copy of the file somewhere, edit it there, then copy it back (confirming the overwrite and admin prompt when asked).
2. Launch Notepad in administrator mode (right click on its Start Menu entry to do this) and then navigate to the file you want to edit.

I was thinking about doing the copy trick, but figured this wouldn't work either.  Thank you for that.  I now see the admin for notepad thing you just said.  I'll do that.  Thank you very much again!

Back
Top Bottom