Resolved Cannot choose child as heir upon main hero death in 1.51

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Hello! I have an unusual and very frustrating bug. I was playing as a female character, and we start the game of course at age 30. I was married and pregnant at 34. My husband then died in a battle shortly after. The game progressed normally, but I became ill and died at age 49. At that point, my one and only child was not yet 18, but only 15. When I died, I was able to choose an heir, but my only choices were the game's generic brothers/sisters. I could not select my child. My theory was that this was maybe because the child was not yet 18. I do not want to play generic siblings, I want to play as my one child. To test my theory, I reloaded an old save from before I became ill and died. I stocked up on food, sat in my town, and just let my main hero sit there until my hero was age 52 and my child age 18. I am using no mods at all, however, it is not so easy to test this theory and I tried suiciding in a couple of battles but I couldn't die, and didn't become ill again. So, I will admit, I enabled cheat mode in the config file, logged into game, used "campaign.make_main_hero_ill" to kill myself to test if I could choose my child as heir at age 18. I logged out, turned cheat mode off, logged in, and let myself die. Again, I could not select the child as heir. Extremely frustrating.

My theories on the bug in 1.51:

1) Children cannot be heirs.
2) Children cannot be heirs if one parent dies.
3) Children cannot be heirs if the parent dies before child is of age (this seems to be not the case per my test)
4) Children cannot be heirs if father dies.
5) Game does not recognize children as family, only siblings.

I ended up later on using the heritage mod just to see if I could continue my game as my child. I changed my child to clan leader, which worked, but after that I could not press the "V" button (nothing happens). No biggie, we have barbers now. The other strange thing was that I could not create armies. That I found strange, as in prior versions like 1.3 I could play as kids, create armies and such. Creating an army consumed influence, I had the "done" button (it wasn't that bug that hides the done button), but no army created. I swapped clan leader to main hero's sibling, and I could create armies. I think Bannerlord is simply not recognizing my daughter as a family member. She is listed as family in Party menu, but I think it is treating her as a companion.

Anyway, please test/fix this if possible. The best part of this entire game is the ability to keep a game going via children, over generations, and that needs to be functional for this game to be truly great. Thanks for your time!

Forwarding this issue to the QA team for further investigation. Thanks for reporting. In the meantime, can you share your unmodded save files? You can upload it at upload.taleworlds.com. Please paste the link to this thread in the description box on the upload website so I can identify it.

Done, but it is not the save from the game where I could not play the kids when I die. I deleted that save in frustration because the save was no longer playable (no point in playing without heirs with death on). However, I sent the most current save file on a new playthrough. I am still alive in this one but may die soon and if so I will report if I cannot be my one of ten kids upon death. If this occurs I'll send you the new save, hoping that helps. These are all unmodded (I hope! I used mods in past but all deleted now). Thank you very much for listening!

I sent you another copy of my save, because in my new game I am age 53 now and my oldest child is age 18 and in my party. I have not died yet, but I am going to assume I cannot become the child when I die because I already tried to give my child his own party (create party in party menu) and he is not eligible to lead a party. I can only choose my wife, companions, brothers and sisters. Children seem to be unable to be leaders of parties or armies, or be heirs. The good news is all the stats/skills work! (Thank you for fixing the kid's broken skills!) On a side note, I love what you did with the athletics talents and speed of running at high level. It is so cool to build a quick character on his/her feet. :smile: Cheers!

Hello, I have just run into this bug as well. I just uploaded my save labelled "Hadrian" that takes place just before my current character dies (about a few in-game days prior to death). I have not used any mods in all my time playing so far, so it should be good on that front. Two of my children are in my party at the time, so they should be usable; however, they are not. It's my first time uploading a save, so if you need me to re-submit, please let me know.

Ran into the same issue today. Once I ask my son who is 22 to lead the clan I can no longer raise armies has put my game on hault as well.

I have also encountered this bug. Have multiple children but they can’t be played as or lead parties, caravans, etc. Have mods but all except play as allies after death are disabled. Would very much like to play the game again but as op said is pointless if you cannot play as offspring.

I hope they fix this problem after a LOT OF HOURS invested, is annoying that sons can't be heirs or party leaders.

Please fix ultimate leade I and II perks, that helps a lot for King.

I had this issue and its in another thread I also made a video showing a mistake I made that cause me to lose my entire inventory. make sure your heir(wife, big brother, little brother or little sister) are in your party or lose your inventory, here is the proof

I had this issue and its in another thread I also made a video showing a mistake I made that cause me to lose my entire inventory. make sure your heir(wife, big brother, little brother or little sister) are in your party or lose your inventory, here is the proof

My guess is, Arwa recieved all your items too when she took over your party. Which she would have sold when she got to town. If so you would have gotten some beasty party income.

My guess is, Arwa recieved all your items too when she took over your party. Which she would have sold when she got to town. If so you would have gotten some beasty party income.
Yeah i had a million or more worth of stuff on me and never saw a huge increase, as long as people know I am happy until it gets fixed

The issue is still marked as in progress, and I will update this thread when the QA team informs me about any developments.
I really want to come back to this game but if we cannot be our kids when we die, no point in playing at all. I don't really see mention of this being fixed in 1.5.5 patch notes today. Can you clarify if this was fixed in 1.5.5? If not I'll just wait until it is fixed.

Man do I feel you. I’ve been itching to get back into the game so much, here’s hoping it’s fixed in coming updates!
it was fixed children can become heirs, and in1.5.6 hopefully will have education system like when you create your character, just need a hotfix to death always on and 1.5.5 is about ready to go live

I have been informed that this issue is fixed on our development branch and the fix will be implemented with the upcoming patches. Thanks for reporting!

Back
Top Bottom