Can you use siege weapons offensively to kill Garrisons on the campaign map/siege?

Users who are viewing this thread

I could have sworn in the past I use trebuchets to kill a garrison before a siege.... but trying it just now they don't do anything unless there is a siege weapon in the castle for them to shoot at and they didn't kill any enemies when breaking the walls, they just site there afterwards. I also tried fire ballistas and the same thing. AM I missing something or did I get a Mandela effect from last month in an alternate world were siege weapons were useful?

You probably starved out the garrison and thought your siege weapons were killing them. They only destroy other siege weapons or break enemy walls on the campaign map.

I wish that siege weapons worked better over all. For the time they take to build (even with 200 engineer skill) they simply are not worth it.

I wish that siege weapons worked better over all. For the time they take to build (even with 200 engineer skill) they simply are not worth it.
Sieging a city with 4 onagers with 2 siege towers and a ram begs to differ. Dont know why but defenders are pro marksmen who destroy the ram and 1 siege tower before they even reach half way.

Counter Onagers are a must.

But you can just bring down the walls then.... well I guess you're still right.... you should destroy the weapons..... I would like to do more though and I'm mad that the AI knows how to aim the weapons and I don't. How do they know where the enemies are?
Depends, if you have more then enough food yes you can bring down the walls but it takes alot of time, in the future you might not have that time when a defending army comes marching.

As of right now defending armies only attack you head on, while i'm pretty sure they should actually go inside the city ( without the stupid lose x troops thing ) but now, especially the smaller armies just kind of wait outside doing nothing.

Imagine all the small parties joining the defending side which is what i think the point sooner or later since there is a perk that actually prevents armies from joining the cities defense unless they attack you head on, which seems to be the default now regardless of you having it or not.

in the future you might not have that time when a defending army comes marching.
Oh they wont come, I wish they would so I'm going to leave empty castles to bait them. Sadly eventually militia ruin this so new empty castles must be made.

without the stupid lose x troops thing
Yeah kinda defeats the purpose of castles if you can't defend it and probably why AI doesn't do it.

I do like knocking down the walls and riding my horse into the castle and sniping them in the back though so I guess that a siege weapon use.

in the future you might not have that time when a defending army comes marching.
Oh they wont come, I wish they would so I'm going to leave empty castles to bait them. Sadly eventually militia ruin this so new empty castles must be made.

without the stupid lose x troops thing
Yeah kinda defeats the purpose of castles if you can't defend it and probably why AI doesn't do it.

I do like knocking down the walls and riding my horse into the castle and sniping them in the back though so I guess that a siege weapon use.
In my case they do come, i was sieging a city with an army of 1700, and i had 2 1100 armies coming my way, but instead of waiting and reinforcing eachother or simply defending the city, instead they are attacking me head on seperately. I might have had to abandon the siege completely if they joined the cities defense.

Sieging a city with 4 onagers with 2 siege towers and a ram begs to differ. Dont know why but defenders are pro marksmen who destroy the ram and 1 siege tower before they even reach half way.

Counter Onagers are a must.
Out of curiosity, how effective are onagers during the siege?

I tend to either just build a ram and maybe a tower depending on the garrison size. If it's a big settlement and I have time, I'll build 4 trebs and destroy the walls, so I don't take many casualties during the battle.

I've been tossing up trying a ram/tower with a couple onagers, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Siege weapons will target enemy defense weapons, and will destroy it along with the men assigned to it -- thus, the enemy numbers are indeed, cut down in small amounts. It's slow, but if the sieges last long, it will cut down considerably the defender's numbers over time.

I tend to either just build a ram and maybe a tower depending on the garrison size. If it's a big settlement and I have time, I'll build 4 trebs and destroy the walls, so I don't take many casualties during the battle.

I've been tossing up trying a ram/tower with a couple onagers, but just haven't gotten around to it.

In actual siege battle, siege weapons are particularly effective if the enemy has a lot of troops on the walls, and especially on the ramparts and turrets. So ideally, 4x trebuchets or onagers will score something like 50~70 kills even before the battering ram reaches the gates.

However, if the town/castle is under-defended with relatively few men on the walls, then it's not very effective since there are not enough enemies to bombard in the first place. Also, there's a good chance your own men might be exposed to friendly fire. Nothing like a big rock landing on top of your head while you are leading your men up the walls...

Siege weapons will target enemy defense weapons, and will destroy it along with the men assigned to it -- thus, the enemy numbers are indeed, cut down in small amounts. It's slow, but if the sieges last long, it will cut down considerably the defender's numbers over time.

In actual siege battle, siege weapons are particularly effective if the enemy has a lot of troops on the walls, and especially on the ramparts and turrets. So ideally, 4x trebuchets or onagers will score something like 50~70 kills even before the battering ram reaches the gates.

However, if the town/castle is under-defended with relatively few men on the walls, then it's not very effective since there are not enough enemies to bombard in the first place. Also, there's a good chance your own men might be exposed to friendly fire. Nothing like a big rock landing on top of your head while you are leading your men up the walls...
Thanks for the info dude.

I had no idea your own troops could be killed from siege engine friendly fire, that's good to know.

On the campaign map siege phase trebuchets are more effective, but in the siege itself i feel onagers are much more accurate when being used

Back
Top Bottom