Can you not snipe Mercs anymore or do they need better relations?

Users who are viewing this thread

I could have sworn in the past I could just pay marcs more to join me, but in1.6.2 there's no dialogue with the clan leaders so far. Is it not so or is it because I have -100 relations with everyone? It's a double bull**** sandwich either way. They're mercs they should fight for the right price no matter what and if you can't snipe them then they might as well be deleted from the game because the AI ALWAYS hires all the mercs. Now they have to go into prisoners for ever just like every other NPC in the worlds because there's no meaningful use or interaction with them.

I have never been able to bribe an enemy mercenary clan to join me. I can only get them by finding their leader in a town?

Imagine, for a moment... if we got a little notification pop up on the right of the screen - like an advert... "Hidden Hand has finished their contract and is available for hire". The popup could lead to a dialogue which would allow you to send a messenger to hire them.

Instead I have to go find them 3/4 of the map away, while I'm at war, leaving my land unprotected.

Instead I have to go find them 3/4 of the map away, while I'm at war, leaving my land unprotected
Your coment reminds me of this :
Space managment in BL (like in M&B btw) is crucial.
That is : where you are, where you go, has to be where important actions (battles, recruitment) is.

In your case : where a lord/leader is, but could be extended to armies moves also.

It reminds me of a device that there was in Warband : we could build Watchtowers in the villages, so as to have informations (maybe being advertised when village was raided, don't remember exaclty).

This feature could be of good use in BL too. Although with Encyclopedia you can get informations on characters location. Maybe something to think about, or improve.
At the moment, entering a town, seems to refresh location informations on a character location if he/she was in the area around this town.

From my experience, as the player, you can hire a max of 3/4 mercenaries clans, more and the game won't allow it.

As far as Relation goes, Mercs don't like it when you don't "Pillage" or "Devastate" newly acquired settlements. and if negative they won't work for you for that reason. As Greedy boys they want to Loot & Pillage.

The relation thing can be fixed by "Saving their bums". For example, you are leading an army of 1000 man, and you encounter a smaller 600 man army faster then you.
A common tactic in this situation is releasing one of your parties and take out the army, well if you release the Merc he will be so happy that you saved him and you will receive, based on your charm, relations with his group.

Both features are fine to me:
The first one doesn't allow the player to gain too much power just cause he can pay.
The second can easily be managed and kinda makes sense.

One thing i would like to see improved on the Mercenary side is the "Offers"
I think the same system used for ransoms may be used for mercenaries who wants to work for you without the need of finding the damn leader, that is annoying.

Hope this brings clarity on the way they work.

I could have sworn in the past I could just pay marcs more to join me, but in1.6.2 there's no dialogue with the clan leaders so far. Is it not so or is it because I have -100 relations with everyone? It's a double bull**** sandwich either way. They're mercs they should fight for the right price no matter what and if you can't snipe them then they might as well be deleted from the game because the AI ALWAYS hires all the mercs. Now they have to go into prisoners for ever just like every other NPC in the worlds because there's no meaningful use or interaction with them.

I think its tied to faction strength. The lack of dialogue makes it guessing work. At the start of my playthrough I could hire 3, now 1 and he leaves near instant, even though im at war with the world and filthy rich.

The mercenary system should be up for review in my opinion. The only factor they should take into account is payment and should be a daily gold exchange with a fixed, negotiated rate instead of influence conversion.

This will also prevent the last clan of a destroyed faction to hire 5 of them, pay them with air and become a nuisance to villagers (since they are too poor to maintain bigger parties).

I agree that we should be able to hire mercs despite bad relations. It would also be convenient if, like others have suggested, we could send a messenger or something to initiate a contract.

I think its tied to faction strength.
Hmmm this could be! In normal games I have large amount of land (power) when I make a faction and hire mercs! In this game I just took 1 castle to put horses in and though, why not make a faction? Without even clan parties my power is minimal on paper.

The relation thing can be fixed by "Saving their bums"
What I might do is after I finish off the faction leader and am done killing, I will attack them and let them go to re-build relations. Of course.... then it doesn't matter as there's nobody I need protection from unless there's some buggery like the minor factions still being hired by phantom factions and raiding me!

Space managment in BL (like in M&B btw) is crucial.
That is : where you are, where you go, has to be where important actions (battles, recruitment) is.
Yeah this is what I describe as campaign time, the time you use up with your character that allows other parties to also move and do stuff. I view this as the primary recourse of the game.
It reminds me of a device that there was in Warband : we could build Watchtowers in the villages, so as to have informations (maybe being advertised when village was raided, don't remember exaclty)
Yes this was an excellent feature, of course Bannerlord gives us too much information about where enemies are and what they're doing anyways. I would like the warband upgrade (walls?) that made the raid time take X2 as long! Of course raiding is different but perhaps reducing the rate of material lost or causing a delay before it starts.

Instead I have to go find them 3/4 of the map away, while I'm at war, leaving my land unprotected.
And the AI does it via magic telepathy, they can even be locked up and get mercs. Honestly they should be sending you messengers too.

If only Eisenhower had balls this big. Down with the military-industrial complex.
They can be the farmers or the fertilizer, thier choice.

I agree that we should be able to hire mercs despite bad relations.
They should just want more money if anything. Not that they should hate you so much for killing lords, although I guess technically the game considers them lords too so I guess.... but it's not good for gameplay because it just makes them the same as other clans, just less useful because they can't be landed.

Back
Top Bottom