Can You atleast FIX the annoying WAR/Peace thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes I'm sure it was entirely due to this and absolutely nothing to do with the fact that people were consistently complaining about snowballing with each patch.
Of course people were complaining about it. They wanted to play as their own children but they weren't growing up fast enough, so they had to put the brakes on faction growth to give the little bastards time to grow up. You put an interesting feature in a game and players are going to want to use it regardless of its overall effect on the game.

The real problem with the snowballing was that it was the same faction snowballing every time, but that's a faction balance problem, not a problem with snowballing in and of itself.

No, snowballing sucks because it means you have to start conquering the world/your own patch of calradia within a certain timeframe if you don't want to face a super powerful faction which already owns most of the map.

Of course people were complaining about it. They wanted to play as their own children but they weren't growing up fast enough, so they had to put the brakes on faction growth to give the little bastards time to grow up. You put an interesting feature in a game and players are going to want to use it regardless of its overall effect on the game.

The real problem with the snowballing was that it was the same faction snowballing every time, but that's a faction balance problem, not a problem with snowballing in and of itself.
There are tons of complains in Warband related to how fast Swadia gets wrecked (snowballing), eventhough we have not kids in Warband.

No, snowballing sucks because it means you have to start conquering the world/your own patch of calradia within a certain timeframe if you don't want to face a super powerful faction which already owns most of the map.

Agree. Same if you wanted to save Sturgia, we had to develop our character super fast in order to be strong enough to save Sturgia from being wrecked in the first 3-5 years.

It doesn't matter if 1 faction gets super powerful, that's actually simpler to deal with then the current set up where you will have 2-3-all factions at war with you and your stupid vassals constantly vote for peace and release all prisoners just cycling between them rather then focusing them off the map, just so they can attack again as soon as they rebuild max armies. The AI doesn't really benefit from more and more fiefs because the other AI clans are very slow to go over to them(Edit: I mean changing factions to the larger faction, but I suppose they are slow to go over the map too lol), so they're spread thin. Also if the snowballing AI is taking foreign lands (Khuzait...Vlandia) they will start to have rebellions because the AI does not pass any policies or do ANYTHING to deal with loyalty problems.

These are things you can only comprehend if you're actually finished the map off a few times. The people complaining about snowballing couldn't even figure out how to build a party efficiently and get started. They say "Oh no how will I fight them" no knowing it's the exact same thing no matter how big or small the faction is, because the AI cheats so much and gain no real benefit from having more fiefs.

Anyway, we all know I hate the election/diplo systems, because TW didn't teach the AI anything about strategy, they only exists to slow the game down.
I think a much better solution to the "but ma babies" would be either A: Make them party members as little children, WHY NOT? They could even be non-combat members that provide some benefit and gain some skill over time. B: Make them at least interactive in your fiefs and add something to do with them. You could have kidnap and recue quests wouldn't that be fun?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if 1 faction gets super powerful, that's actually simpler to deal with then the current set up where you will have 2-3-all factions at war with you and your stupid vassals constantly vote for peace and release all prisoners just cycling between them rather then focusing them off the map, just so they can attack again as soon as they rebuild max armies. The AI doesn't really benefit from more and more fiefs because the other AI clans are very slow to go over to them, so they're spread thin. Also if the snowballing AI is taking foreign lands (Khuzait...Vlandia) they will start to have rebellion's because the AI does not pass any policies or do ANYTHING to deal with loyalty problems.

These are things you can only comprehend if you're actually finished the map off a few times. The people complaining about snowballing couldn't even figure out how to build a party efficiently and get started. They say "Oh no how will I fight them" no knowing it's the exact same thing no matter how big or small the faction is, because the AI cheats so much and gain no real benefit from having more fiefs.

Anyway, we all know I hate the election/diplo systems, because TW didn't teach the AI anything about strategy, they only exists to slow the game down.
I think a much better solution to the "but ma babies" would be either A: Make them party members as little children, WHY NOT? They could even be non-combat members that provide some benefit and gain some skill over time. B: Make them at least interactive in your fiefs and add something to do with them. You could have kidnap and recue quests wouldn't that be fun?

It was not about “oh god, snowballing makes this game too hard”…. It was about “snowballing makes the game boring when 3 factions gets destroyed within the first 3-5 years, and all campains feel the same having to deal with Khuzaits”.

I have not complained about game difficulty ever, because I find this game too easy, even when I do not get caravans, workshops or smithing to make it more challenging, and I do not use OP units like Fian Champion or Khan’s Guard.

It was not about “oh god, snowballing makes this game too hard”…. It was about “snowballing makes the game boring when 3 factions gets destroyed within the first 3-5 years, and all campains feel the same having to deal with Khuzaits”.

I have not complained about game difficulty ever, because I find this game too easy, even when I do not get caravans, workshops or smithing to make it more challenging, and I do not use OP units like Fian Champion or Khan’s Guard.
But the FACTIONS NEVER GO AWAY so there's nothing to that complaint anyways. They're all still there FOREVER.

But the FACTIONS NEVER GO AWAY so there's nothing to that complaint anyways. They're all still there FOREVER.
1- Fiefless factions existing forever is a bad design or maybe something which is still incomplete in the game.
2- When I said “factions getting destroyed in 3-5 years” I was referring to these factions losing all their fiefs and most of clans due to defections…

I don't recognize any difference in game play between what color faction is where, it's all the same parties doing the same stuff and you have to fight the endless conga line of armies. Actually, now that I think about it a faction may have a max number of armies at 3 or 4, so perhaps a mega faction would be easier then fighting several normal factions due to this.

It is a Sandbox like Warhammer Total War, Crusader Kings, etc. Maybe Bannerlord is missing some victory conditions easier to achieve than having to conquer all the Empire settlements, but to be honest, all the Sandbox games have the same problem and they are usually boring in late game.
There are tons of sandbox games out there (from smaller studios) that do them properly, with the end game being able to do whatever the player makes of it (ie roleplay, conquering, building, etc...).
True that Total War is probably the 'closest' comparable type of sandbox as BL but at least they have some alternative victory conditions, campaign objectives, 'Chaos' incursions, town management (actual management strats/builds), etc...; but they also have an 'end'. The campaigns are quite 'similar' but their tactical battles have been refined after this many years where they are quite engaging and unique (ie actually different factions and RP 'diplomatic' importance).

In BL, there's only one thing: build army, take city, vote possession, rinse&repeat. And besides the battles (which are great with some QoL improvements still), a lot of that is just clicking menu buttons. We are also very restricted as a sandbox: cap on companions/parties, cap on workshops, 'unlock' smithing parts (and the re-grind with generation), cap on caravan potential, and so on so there's no other route or option that is allowed for us.
That is not 'good' gameplay, no matter the genre or objective which is why end game is boring right around when you get a town or two.
I personally never enjoyed having to conquer the world in Warband, and I didn't even once in 2K hours played. I cannot see how Aging&Death is making the game worse and lower than Warband, except if you enjoy a lot conquering the whole world, which is still doable in this game. It is harder to conquer thw whole world though, because this game is better balanced and it is not all about getting some Swadian Knights and F1+F3 (Fian Champion and Khan's Guard are pretty damn OP though, but I hope they are going to get balanced eventually).
Aging/Death doesn't make it worse, but it is also completely pointless how it's implemented. Especially if they can just add a menu button to disable such a 'crucial' system in their game; which also shows that they went the easiest route again (no surprise) to essentially just remove/ignore a feature rather than fix/improve it.
Yeah, levelling still has some problems but it is just a 100% balanced issue, and not related to Aging&Death now. Maybe it was the case before, but now it is pretty evident that TW is hearing us about we do not like grinding.
Not just a balance issue, many skills/perks do practically nothing significant (or half the time don't apply) where I don't care if it resets, but also don't care that it doesn't. There's no 'unique' skill/perk where you may want to aim for with one character, then maybe try another build with your child in the next; it's just +2% damage, +5% reload speed, make 2 charcoal from 3 hardwood, +3 hp, +1 vigor, etc...amazing. They added the perk respec'ing recently, but even so, the options I get to pick aren't exactly inspiring; and just another proof they pick the easy route vs fixing.
And your companions that die also reset, especially how they implemented the party roles with the scout, healer, qm, engineer so we all have those '4' committed companions that can only learn those skills with how the experience gain is done.
TW only has grinding, take that away, game because even more of a shell as they aren't offering alternatives.
Sure, Aging&Death implementation is not great currently, but this feature opens the door for tons of new features and mechanics like seccesion wars, etc. Aging&Death is a pretty complex feature which is not great currently, but I am pretty sure that modders will take huge advantage of it.
So, add another half-baked system with bugs, let the mods try and 'fix' their game...
Lacking diplomacy in this game is not related to Aging&Death feature at all. This is an isolated issue that I hope TW or someone fixs in the future.
They should be, age&death mean succession/feudal inheritance implications which is quite significant in a medieval setting; diplomacy should encompass all facets of the systems/features they've added in or at least be in the background but it seems it was never the case. And it has to be TW that fixes it again, **** this attitude we've fallen back into relying on mods fixing the game. Or at least be upfront with us saying they're 'done' developing that X/Y/Z system or feature; not this 'we'll bring to the team and discuss, but we won't tell you jack**** on whether there's a solution, roadmap, plan, or if it is even considered an issue to them' (pilums throwable?).

Their game is done, they seem done with the game, they've set their release date, they won't add post-launch (judging based on EA to date).

Actually it still does, charcoal weighs 0.5 per unit whereas hardwood weighs 10. Although when you smelt a weapon that includes hardwood it does suddenly weigh a lot more since I'm pretty sure no weapons weigh 10, so yes you're right and this typing of mine is pointless.
In BL, there's only one thing: build army, take city, vote possession, rinse&repeat. And besides the battles (which are great with some QoL improvements still), a lot of that is just clicking menu buttons. We are also very restricted as a sandbox: cap on companions/parties, cap on workshops, 'unlock' smithing parts (and the re-grind with generation), cap on caravan potential, and so on so there's no other route or option that is allowed for us.
That is not 'good' gameplay, no matter the genre or objective which is why end game is boring right around when you get a town or two.
I largely agree with you, fortunately I really enjoy the combat so I just play as a mercenary for ages and I'm planning on playing as one of my children when this character dies, assuming I haven't moved onto a new patch by then. I think for the aging and death to really be useful we need a faster fast time button and an option to retire our current character, or at least move to our heir and let our character become an NPC.
We also definitely need more options for kingdom management, fief management, banditry/roguery, dialogue and just generally more immersion and rpg options. Whether TW themselves will offer these to us or we'll need to implement them ourselves with mods is yet to be seen, but as disappointed as you may be with the birth and death option I'm very confident it's not the reason we don't have more depth already.

We also definitely need more options for kingdom management, fief management, banditry/roguery, dialogue and just generally more immersion and rpg options. Whether TW themselves will offer these to us or we'll need to implement them ourselves with mods is yet to be seen, but as disappointed as you may be with the birth and death option I'm very confident it's not the reason we don't have more depth already.
Yes, but judging on the pace of this (coming to 3 years now) of public EA, almost nothing has been addressed about the depth in any of the feature/systems which still causes that late-game (not even that 'late') frustration; or 'dull/soulless' some others call it.
So while age&death don't break the depth, it doesn't really add either. And if they truly were working on something (on what feels like a skeleton crew/resource restricted budget); it should have been better managed on other priorities. Particularly since age&death is supposedly required in their generational-dynastic system for longer playthroughs; which is meaningless if a majority of players get burnt out of the grind within the first character.

I have no confidence they'll do it (or even a small upgrade) within the next 2 months or less; as I'm sure it'll be rife with new+old bugs. So they'll fix the current version to be as bug-free as possible and maybe fool some more 'newer' players that there's more to come at post-launch.

I would certainly prefer dealing with 1 faction a few times over than 2-3 factions constantly going to war and dropping into peace at the worst moments possible. Even if the 1 faction becomes so strong it takes more effort to deal with them, so long as there's a good time kept between when that faction can do it again.

even when you're the faction leader, your own faction forces you to make peace before you can make progress against another faction, and they're all a hivemind that vote the same way, to overrule them requires ridiculous amounts of influence

here's the repeating cycle:

1. faction declares war on you, they come at you with strong armies because they've been building up while at peace
2. battles happen, sieges are attempted, maybe some are successful, maybe they get reversed
3. when you've finally got them on the run, "Making peace with x" notification pops up, your faction forces you to make peace
4. all the enemy lords are freed, they begin to build up their forces again

then start over at step 1

and this cycle is even worse when you are one of the empire factions because the Khuzaits and Aserai like to come at you from behind while all the action is happening on the western frontlines, so they're able to grab a few fiefs, but then you arent able to wipe them out because your faction forces you to make peace when you finally get over there to deal with them

Back
Top Bottom