Can we please have more commands and more info?

Users who are viewing this thread

I want a skirmish command.
I want to be able to order a unit to engage with a specific enemy unit (for example have my cavalry chase enemy horse archers, or have my archers focus their fire on the enemy archers).
I want to be able to order a unit to face a specific enemy unit (for example have lancers face enemy cavalry in formation)
I want to be able to see a units movement speed and total armor value in the unit tree without having to spend my time doing math equations.
I want to be able to see a wanderers attribute and focus point allocation before I hire them.
I want to be able to search for wanderers using a filter (for example: minimum int: 8, sort by: highest engineering)
I want a better filter for assigning men to different units (The current system of prioritizing certain things barely works. I set one group to prioritize just javelins, and the group still got filled up with non-javelin infantry while leaving javelin infantry in the generic infantry group with no filter on)

Oh my little sunshine ? ...We've been trying to get Taleworlds to implement that for over three years now approx; in particular the focus/engage enemy formation.

Oh boy, it´s sad seeing new forum members suggesting things that we´ve already suggested over and over and over again since more than a year.
Despite the Recruit status of that account, that user is more veteran than you and me combined :lol: . But yes, new accounts "in general" comment on the above.

Haven´t checked his profile, just thought he was "new". I also didn´t mean it as an offense, it´s totally fine to be new.

But I often see good/valid suggestions from "recruits" that we´ve already made months ago, and this is also fine of course. They can´t know this.

Just a fun observation of mine; I didn't see any offence on your part. Don Francisco de Quevedo said that "Nothing stirs up the people' s hustle and bustle as much as novelty". Years of hustle and bustle apparently... ?:iamamoron:

I want a skirmish command.
This is upsetting, because yesterday in a youtube video I saw a guy saying that the "advance" command when applied to archers works like skirmishing, they walk close to the enemy frontline until they are in range, start shooting, and walk back taking potshots if they start closing in.

I tried it in game with my archers, they shot once and started walking back never turning around and shooting again.

So what the hell is the advance command supposed to be anyways?

Agreed with everything else tho

Not surprised I'm not the first to suggest these things. Do we have any idea if Talesworld staff look at these posts? These things shouldn't be that difficult to implement, and seeing as people have been asking for them for a long time begs the question; Why has nothing like it been implemented, or at least promised in the two years since early access release?

This is upsetting, because yesterday in a youtube video I saw a guy saying that the "advance" command when applied to archers works like skirmishing, they walk close to the enemy frontline until they are in range, start shooting, and walk back taking potshots if they start closing in.

I tried it in game with my archers, they shot once and started walking back never turning around and shooting again.

I've tested it a bit. With a pure infantry unit it appears to currently be working as a "Charge" command but with some sort of incentive to stay in formation. With a pure archers unit, it indeed gets in range to fire but then walks backwards and fires again as the enemy approaches. I imagine that in your case the enemy was closing in on you too fast so they didn't get the chance to shoot. I am not sure this is all intended behaviour, I'll inquire about it and get back to you.
Not surprised I'm not the first to suggest these things. Do we have any idea if Talesworld staff look at these posts? These things shouldn't be that difficult to implement, and seeing as people have been asking for them for a long time begs the question; Why has nothing like it been implemented, or at least promised in the two years since early access release?
We do read your posts and I prepare regular community feedback reports. "The ability to command your troops to attack a specific enemy formation" has been included in these reports as well as brought up in a community suggestion meeting. It hasn't seen approval so far but I'll bring it up again as it's clearly a contentious issue that keeps popping up, especially in the MP captain community.

"The ability to command your troops to attack a specific enemy formation" has been included in these reports as well as brought up in a community suggestion meeting. It hasn't seen approval so far but I'll bring it up again as it's clearly a contentious issue that keeps popping up, especially in the MP captain community.
Do you mean to say they've seen it at one point and dismissed it or specifically said no?

Do you mean to say they've seen it at one point and dismissed it or specifically said no?
Surprising, isn't it? there is a nice list of discards in the bin. It's the Bannerlord experience baby ? :iamamoron: .

Despite that I take up the cudgels for Dejan's because I do believe that he definitely is pushing all of these issues and requests on the Taleworlds meeting table. Another thing is that someday those requests will be implemented (in an official way I mean :iamamoron: ).

That´s the funny thing, they added stuff nobody ever asked for (like not beeing able to give orders when the enemy flees, but at least they "fixed" what they´ve "broken" in this case) while ignoring other stuff that was often asked for.

That´s the TaleWorlds EA experience baby!

I've tested it a bit. With a pure infantry unit it appears to currently be working as a "Charge" command but with some sort of incentive to stay in formation. With a pure archers unit, it indeed gets in range to fire but then walks backwards and fires again as the enemy approaches. I imagine that in your case the enemy was closing in on you too fast so they didn't get the chance to shoot. I am not sure this is all intended behaviour, I'll inquire about it and get back to you.

This is so close to being useful then, because I suspect what happened is that as soon as cavalry started charging the archers just walked back trying to escape the inescapable. The issue is getting into this state when you have 30 archers and you're being charged by 5 horsemen while they could perfectly shoot them down. Oh well, nice to know how it works now.

I know this isn't a suggestion thread but advance would make a perfect skirmish command if it worked slightly better, currently archers get in too close so they manage to get one volley off before they need to start retreating, and for infantry it's essentially the same as charge. If it was changed so units started to walk as they got close instead of keep running in like in a charge (or if they simply walked at all times instead of running), infantry with throwing weapons would be able to throw a few before engaging in melee, and archers wouldn't get locked in perma-retreat right away.

I tried to simulate walking by using shield wall with advance but well, they don't use throwing weapons or bows while in shield wall formation.

Thanks for the response tho

Agreed with everything else tho
They kinda over do it with the running back..... but sometimes they don't and they get caught... it works, just badly. They also will get stuck at the back of the map and not try to go sideways. I use the advance command for archer almost like a "fall back" command that works, time it early enough and they pull back then STOP so they resume shooting, or let them keep running back and shoot the chasing enemy in the back with HA. Advance has different behavior for different troops/group types, for cavalry they should attack without their cycle charge, infantry will attack more slowly, both will keep shields up if they were in SW before advance, sadly they both can still be distracted and turn around so it's still junk. I would think it too generous to say the advance command is "for" anything or that it has any real design behind it. It may have been a work in progress that was put on hold forever, like formations in general seem to be. They don't do anything good and it's always just trying to make troops do what they should do on their own such as SW to make troops use shield or loose or "manual dragged line" to make ranged troops able to all shoot.... both should just be how the perform and not make the player constantly hold their hand to not completely crap the bed.

They kinda over do it with the running back..... but sometimes they don't and they get caught... it works, just badly. They also will get stuck at the back of the map and not try to go sideways. I use the advance command for archer almost like a "fall back" command that works, time it early enough and they pull back then STOP so they resume shooting, or let them keep running back and shoot the chasing enemy in the back with HA. Advance has different behavior for different troops/group types, for cavalry they should attack without their cycle charge, infantry will attack more slowly, both will keep shields up if they were in SW before advance, sadly they both can still be distracted and turn around so it's still junk. I would think it too generous to say the advance command is "for" anything or that it has any real design behind it. It may have been a work in progress that was put on hold forever, like formations in general seem to be. They don't do anything good and it's always just trying to make troops do what they should do on their own such as SW to make troops use shield or loose or "manual dragged line" to make ranged troops able to all shoot.... both should just be how the perform and not make the player constantly hold their hand to not completely crap the bed.
So they just have to fix/polish it, like a lot of other things. Guess it'll just be f1 f1 spam to micro the troops for now.

This is so close to being useful then, because I suspect what happened is that as soon as cavalry started charging the archers just walked back trying to escape the inescapable. The issue is getting into this state when you have 30 archers and you're being charged by 5 horsemen while they could perfectly shoot them down. Oh well, nice to know how it works now.

I know this isn't a suggestion thread but advance would make a perfect skirmish command if it worked slightly better, currently archers get in too close so they manage to get one volley off before they need to start retreating, and for infantry it's essentially the same as charge. If it was changed so units started to walk as they got close instead of keep running in like in a charge (or if they simply walked at all times instead of running), infantry with throwing weapons would be able to throw a few before engaging in melee, and archers wouldn't get locked in perma-retreat right away.

I tried to simulate walking by using shield wall with advance but well, they don't use throwing weapons or bows while in shield wall formation.

Thanks for the response tho
Alright, I got the confirmation that the current behavior as I described it above is intended, the word to describe it isn't the best though. We will likely be renaming the Advance command to something more befitting. I have relayed your and others' feedback on the topic as well.

Back
Top Bottom