Can we please get an alternative to "governor perks"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Perks need to provide some benefit to the AI as well as to the player. Governor effects fall into the former. Yet most (all?) perks should have another effect that players can use - aka the alternative is already built in. (You may also consider this from the perspective of characters geared towards being mobile party leaders vs. immobile governors.)

Perks need to provide some benefit to the AI as well as to the player. Governor effects fall into the former. Yet most (all?) perks should have another effect that players can use - aka the alternative is already built in.
Yes, but they still feel "wasted". Just replace the governor perk with something else if the player chooses it.

All non governor perks grants you two different things, but perks with governor only one, that´s the "problem":

A)
Party Leader: All inf gets +30 melee but only while in shieldwall formation
Captain: +3% Polearm damage

In my opinion nothing I get excited about for a level 175 perk.

B)
Captain: -20% morale loss
Governor: Inf - 20% wages

This is just useless as a player, so in my Opinion it´s not even a choice. I´ll take A) in every game I play. Maybe it´s just my playstyle but I don´t see any use for B) compared to A) as a player.

We just need a breakdown or better explanation on how these perks may or may not affect the player, our companions, or lords in the situations the game has; ie field battles, outside simulations, governors, etc...if we all share the same perk/skill system.
I mean, if combat skills don't affect the battle simulation calcs (and only in field battles), wouldn't that render a vast majority of perks useless for AI; or any other skills (can't remember all the perks or option A/B splits atm to list).
Are governor perks useless for the player or are we the default governor for all towns and is only replaced when we assign an actual governor to a specific town/castle? Are Captain perks useless for player unless we put ourselves in a formation (ie Archers in OOB), how does it affect lords in battles that we aren't involved in?
Isn't the scouting perks only applicable to the player or his party leader then as other lords don't have party companions (as I haven't seen many lords, based on the ones I marry, have that skill)? Or clan leader perks only affect a small fraction of the other lords. Smithing is pretty much a player only one.

Clarification would help as it's just a question mark which ones affect who or when or where.
Besides that, a lot of perks give some meaningless 'perks' that aren't worth the grind it takes; or because of the penalty of the path you take due to how the skill/attribute system works (ie one stat per 3 levels, max limit, exp gain situations, diminishing return, etc...) as you or lords/companions get more.

If I want more hitpoints (need - as armor is next to useless), I get like..5 points? from Athletics, and if I grind smithing I think I can potentially get another 5 somewhere down the line...; at least make it a significant enough amount as even if I get 15 or 20 more hitpoints from a specific min/max perk path, that's like what, maybe half a slash hit from a looter's falchion which means nothing.

What about something like when a fief with no governor is visited by its owner, he counts as governor for a period of time (for example 1 month)? it is a simple system, it could work for ai and player, and it´s (relatively) realistic representing the owner using the visit to organize stuff.

Perks need to provide some benefit to the AI as well as to the player. Governor effects fall into the former. Yet most (all?) perks should have another effect that players can use - aka the alternative is already built in. (You may also consider this from the perspective of characters geared towards being mobile party leaders vs. immobile governors.)
Idduno, when you capture their A team and make the bench warmers all come out it's not like there's any discernable difference whatsoever to the AI's fiefs or martial abilities. I need to see a drastic and immediate difference when that governor come out of the fief to agree that's there's any importance or concern over the AI's governor perks. Do they even get them consistently? Are you sure they're not teleporting around? And if they are teleporting they shouldn't get them.
Not to mention many of the more useful governor perks are tied to combat skills, so what the game considers the "non-mobile/non-martial" governor is actually the worst option for a governor and the martial lords are of more benefit anyways.

One thing I would like is for you character, when they receive their first fief, they get a proxy character (could be customizable too!) that could be their administrator. This character can be set as a governor of 1 fief and always has all the governor perks of the player character. This way the player's governor perks can be used for 1 fief while they do the ENDLESS CONSTANT WAR that is the only content in the game.

Well, but what shall we do if, for example, I do not plan to use any AI companion as a governor? Say, there are 2 perks in "Trade" - both provide benefits if either your caravan destroyed or workshop arrested. Both are useless to AI. Secondary effect is the governor effect. But I do not plan to use them as governors. So, we have 2 absolutely useless perks for AI which bring zero profits to anyone. Why having them?

Well, but what shall we do if, for example, I do not plan to use any AI companion as a governor? Say, there are 2 perks in "Trade" - both provide benefits if either your caravan destroyed or workshop arrested. Both are useless to AI. Secondary effect is the governor effect. But I do not plan to use them as governors. So, we have 2 absolutely useless perks for AI which bring zero profits to anyone. Why having them?
So many perks are seemingly useless. Not to count how some are just assigned at random; and need the NPC to actually gain exp/skill points in order to utilize, and even then it's a ? if they work. You get to pick Perk A for your caravan that doesn't apply, or Perk B that also doesn't apply to them. Besides governors, there's no 'choice' with companions, you pretty much have to assign one for each of those 4 party leads (ie scout, surgeon, QM, engineer) and they become one-trick ponies; they also override you from gaining those EXP anymore in those categories.

So many of these skills and perks should have been designed from different categories instead of jamming it all into just this one system. As others suggested and pointed out (which was an apparent issue from the first playthrough), non-martial and martial skills should not be tied to each other.

Do the perks actually apply when you idle in a town? I did not know that! I mean I dont know anyone who would want to do that but heh
There is a perk that adds 5 Loyalty if you spend a day in a settlement, I don't recall the name though. Other perks add security or whatnot also if you have them and spend time in a settlement.

PS: I only use Governor perks for companions that may be assigned to govern a city/castle. I never choose them for primary character.

Back
Top Bottom