Can we do something about the khuzaits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Well I've had 2 playthroughs, in the first the Vlandians got wiped out first and yes the Khuzaits ruled the map.

In my current playthrough the Khuzaits are being pushed back by the northern empire and are losing battles, castles and towns. Southern Empire and Vlandia are the ones dominating right now.

Some youtube documentary said that the Mongols wouldn't be too effective the further west they went because there were lots of fortresses the further west you go. Just so happens that a lot of those leaders were dying from alchohol overdose but they'd be bogged down in sieges. Maybe a mechanic for attacking encamped khuzaits would be in order. Some situatoin where they lose their cavalry.

doesn't help that cavalry get a 20% bonus just for being cavalry
Well, cavarly should have some sort of advantage in the simulation, no? Otherwise they would have the strength of a regular infantry soldier, so why bother investing in horses? I'm not sure how the 20% was calculated, but there is definitely an advantage to fighting on horseback, perhaps even more than 20%.

You must read this to understand why Sturgia always loses, and Khuzaits/Vlandians are always strong.

Essentially the Simulated battle calculation needs some rework, as it currently checks for troop tier and mount only. It does not care if its night time and your footmen have spears. Cavalry still gets the 20% bonus.

You must read this to understand why Sturgia always loses, and Khuzaits/Vlandians are always strong.

Essentially the Simulated battle calculation needs some rework, as it currently checks for troop tier and mount only. It does not care if its night time and your footmen have spears. Cavalry still gets the 20% bonus.

That really doesn't explain things because up until a few patches ago, the Khuzaits and Vlandians had similar amounts of cavalry in their armies as everyone else (less than 10%) due to recruit spam and desertion.

I have started about 12 different campaigns in bannerlord as different factions, different playstyles, etc. And it always seems that which factions are more powerful is kinda random, there are some that are usually stronger, like the vlandians, but there is a good variety when it comes to power, in one game the southern empire can be taken out in about 100 days, in others they are plowing trough aserai and the western empire like there's no tomorrow. But something that never changes, ever, is the khuzaits.

In all of my playtroughs, every single one, the khuzhaits always **** on everyone, in every campaign the kuzhaits take at least 2 cities and a handful of castles before i'm even able to join a faction, the AI can't do anything against them, except for the faction i decide to join, cause i'm there, if i leave my allies alone against the khuzaits they instantly lose every battle they fight. We all know how powerful horse archers are, well, how powerful ranged units in general are in the game, but that should't mean that an army of 500 of my allies gets defeated by 300 khuzaits just because i'm not present in the battle. Every time my faction goes to war with the khuzaits i have to be constantly fighting, wich is altomst impossible because thanks to their horse archers, and deceptively strong infantry i have to replenish about a third of my army after every single battle, and if i leave to do anything else i have to see the game log full of "someone from your faction has been taken prisioner by the khuzaits".
Every battle against them feels the same.
I mean, they are not even fun to play against in multiplayer.
yes we can, we can give in onto "trying to avoid ridiculous TW punishments" and just kill all of them, and I mean, ALL OF THEM... They deserve it due to prediction, they are the ****ers who destroyed calradia turning it into a little garden we see in Warband. They deserve do die. Them and the Aserai, though I do like "Arabic" culture, so I never really hate on them, but the Khuzaits, well, they are based upon a rapist people who never settled, in fact they should be a massive bandit faction, to see them being respected as rulers and having fiefs just annoys me

That really doesn't explain things because up until a few patches ago, the Khuzaits and Vlandians had similar amounts of cavalry in their armies as everyone else (less than 10%) due to recruit spam and desertion.
I disagree. In my playthroughs the Khuzait use a lot of moutned units (certainly more than 10%) and the Khuzait get a horse at Tier2 right after upgrading the basic troop. Other factions don't have that if we don't count the special units. Horse archers are counted as mounted, thus getting the 20% bonus. This itsy bitsy calculation advantage in sim battles lets them gain the critical advantage.

IMHO the sim calculation needs attention.

I disagree. In my playthroughs the Khuzait use a lot of moutned units (certainly more than 10%) and the Khuzait get a horse at Tier2 right after upgrading the basic troop. Other factions don't have that if we don't count the special units. Horse archers are counted as mounted, thus getting the 20% bonus. This itsy bitsy calculation advantage in sim battles lets them gain the critical advantage.

IMHO the sim calculation needs attention.
Never really had an issue dealing with Khuzait in any of my playthroughs 2bh.
In my current plathrough i just stomped them hard and they sued for peace pretty quickly on an older playthrough i went on an execution spree they kinda left me alone after that lol.
Without player involvement they certainly seemed to do well most of the time but the cav calculation for auto resolve just got changed so give it a chance to see the effects.

Steppe people sucked in siege warfare. The only steppe people that became proficient in sieges were Mongols, and it was only after they've got their hands on trebuchet technology + years and years and years of experience to learn that they can't fight wars with cavalry alone, and need to raise significant number of infantry as well.

Before the Mongols learned that, it took them 44 YEARS to conquer Southern Song dynasty of China -- considered absolutely the WEAKEST of all Chinese empires in history, in terms of military power.

Siege warfare and fortified defense positions were THE most effective weapon against Steppe armies, and is the reason why in more than 2,000 years of steppe armies kicking arse, only ONE of them ever became prevalent in history as conquerors. Steppe people were awesome in battles, but they just didn't have what it took to be actual "conquerors" because they couldn't really conquer anything with their army composition. Raid and pillage? Yes. Set and organize methodical siege warfare? Nope.

With the exception of the Mongols, every other steppe people that invaded and conquered China, basically tipped over shallow husks of empires that were already mangled and inept from internal problems.

No they didn't. Steppe people came in and conquered settled people repeatedly throughout history. The Mongols are merely the most famous example. But you know the chinese faction the Mongols first conquered? A steppe people that had conquered Northern China, and not even from the native Han, no, they conquered it from the LAST steppe people that conquered northern China, and these were the ones that conquered it from the native Song dynasty.

Wanna know who was ruling persia and syria and most of anatolia at the time the Mongols arrived? The turks, another people who had conquered these lands from the steppes.

Ever heard of Hungary? Made by steppe people. Who had conquered another group of steppe people, who had conquered yet ANOTHER group of step people who had set up shop in Roman territory.

Steppe people were well adapt at conquering cities. They did not, in any way, "suck" at it.
"Good at siegecraft" is relative. They had no problem taking the poorly fortified Rus' towns and settlements, but weren't able to take the better fortified Polish or Hungarian towns and castles. Which means that they were good enough to siege in the east, but not quite good enough to do the same in the west. Also, just trebuchets alone won't get you anywhere, you need engineers to operate them, the supplies to build them and supply of boulders to fling at the enemy. It could be that in the latter stages of their raids on Europe they didn't have access to those anymore.
Fact remains that they were eventually repulsed, and as far as I'm aware, good fortifications were, in the end, the bane of them at that time and place.

They were able to take one of the most heavily fortified cities in the world in China though. The Mongols also never actually invaded Poland in force, and the forces that invaded Hungary were called away before they had time to settle in for any sort of siege warfare, and subsequent attempts never succeeded enough to invest in sieges.

Steppe people sucked in siege warfare. The only steppe people that became proficient in sieges were Mongols, and it was only after they've got their hands on trebuchet technology + years and years and years of experience to learn that they can't fight wars with cavalry alone, and need to raise significant number of infantry as well.

Before the Mongols learned that, it took them 44 YEARS to conquer Southern Song dynasty of China -- considered absolutely the WEAKEST of all Chinese empires in history, in terms of military power.

Siege warfare and fortified defense positions were THE most effective weapon against Steppe armies, and is the reason why in more than 2,000 years of steppe armies kicking arse, only ONE of them ever became prevalent in history as conquerors. Steppe people were awesome in battles, but they just didn't have what it took to be actual "conquerors" because they couldn't really conquer anything with their army composition. Raid and pillage? Yes. Set and organize methodical siege warfare? Nope.

With the exception of the Mongols, every other steppe people that invaded and conquered China, basically tipped over shallow husks of empires that were already mangled and inept from internal problems.

With the best fortified city on earth barring MAYBE Constantinople. Not to mention the previous lands they had conquered from steppe dynasties ruling from chinese cities they conquered.

It's like people think the world lives off video game determinism and if you put your civilization points in horse archers, you couldn't possibly have enough left over for siege engines or something.
Some youtube documentary said that the Mongols wouldn't be too effective the further west they went because there were lots of fortresses the further west you go. Just so happens that a lot of those leaders were dying from alchohol overdose but they'd be bogged down in sieges. Maybe a mechanic for attacking encamped khuzaits would be in order. Some situatoin where they lose their cavalry.

Europe's social structure promoted the creation of fortifications on a scale that more centralized eastern empires did not replicate, though, again, China had some of the absolutely largest and best defended fortified cities in the period, they didn't have a vast feudal nobility that had been entrenched for centuries with all of them building themselves a ****ty keep to rule their local area. Indeed the Song deliberately stripped power from military warlords to prevent what had happened to the Tang.

Also Germany and west gets pretty far out of Steppe territory and it is harder to maiuntain a vast amount of remounts the Mongol armies relied on, though they could and did make that up with local forces elsewhere. But there's a reason the mongols never managed to fully conquer the indochinese societies despite a number of attempts (vietnam really sucks to invade).

Also the mongol empire was never stable enough to pursue a campaign in Europe so far from the heart of the empire, and successor states lacked the manpower, wealth, and organization the empire at its height did. Which is, ultimately, the actual historic reason the mongols never conquered europe. The attempt of the empire to project a force into Europe was foiled by the death of the kahn, and subsequently civil war for decades and decades between factions and successors, even as they continued their efforts to subdue China. The Yuan ultimately had little control over the mongol leaders in the western steppes who had supported Kublai's rivals, and eventually the Ilkahns also broke away.

And, finally, the mongols were not undefeatable and could be beaten in the field and driven off. The Egyptian sultanate drove the Mongols away (and then was rapidly couped by the mamlukes, who continued to reclaim Syria from both crusader and mongol forces). Nogai's attempts to invade hungary once more were foiled by a people that had learned something of their last defeats.

None of this has anything to do with some sort of inability to understand siege warfare coded into steppe people's DNA or something. Even if they lacked the institutional knowledge at first, they just learned. And the Khuzaits already have large cities, so, like, yeah, they'd have figured it out.

Never really had an issue dealing with Khuzait in any of my playthroughs 2bh.
In my current plathrough i just stomped them hard and they sued for peace pretty quickly on an older playthrough i went on an execution spree they kinda left me alone after that lol.
Without player involvement they certainly seemed to do well most of the time but the cav calculation for auto resolve just got changed so give it a chance to see the effects.
Oh I don't have issues with them, it's more of "if khuzait are left alone" thing. But then again what is the goal of the balancing? How do TW see the status between factions? An endless struggle with player veering the endgame one way or another? Should it be a status quo between the current factions, or should the khuzait be referred as a threat and roll over eventually?

Oh I don't have issues with them, it's more of "if khuzait are left alone" thing. But then again what is the goal of the balancing? How do TW see the status between factions? An endless struggle with player veering the endgame one way or another? Should it be a status quo between the current factions, or should the khuzait be referred as a threat and roll over eventually?
I would imagine the goal is that all factions are balanced and that it is mainly player intervention that steers the course.
Either way when they come I will be there waiting for them and they will know fear.

pretty sure mangools most of the time didnt even try to siege or conquer as raiding was there method and wasnt really repelled and all the stories of mangool defeated-repelled have no proof but theories
as even some places they siege most of the time they left and didnt conquer not because they are bad sieging because they didnt want to conquer

You don't lay siege to a single castle for over 6 years if you don't want to conquer it, not to mention, the Mongols attacked Song for more than 4 decades: they CLEARLY wanted to conquer it -- but they could not.

100 thousand Mongols under Kubilai laid siege to the defense of Xiangyang between 1267-1273 for 6 years. They failed to take it. In the spring of 1273, the Mongols finally acquired the tech and engineers from the Middle East to produce their own version of Western-style counterweight trebuchets (unlike the less effective, torsion trebuchets used in the Far East), which finally brought the defenses down and the city was captured after 6 YEARS.

From this point on, Mongol armies started recruiting infantry and engineers from their conquered territories in northern China and they became a significant part of the Mongol army that began to lose the composition the "original" Mongols had when they were just all cavalry. Mongols after crossing the Xiangyang defense line began to field at least 40% of infantry in their armies, to swiftly besiege and capture the remianing Song fortifications.

So, even the Mongols clearly had problems. CLEARLY.

yes we can, we can give in onto "trying to avoid ridiculous TW punishments" and just kill all of them, and I mean, ALL OF THEM... They deserve it due to prediction, they are the ****ers who destroyed calradia turning it into a little garden we see in Warband. They deserve do die. Them and the Aserai, though I do like "Arabic" culture, so I never really hate on them, but the Khuzaits, well, they are based upon a rapist people who never settled, in fact they should be a massive bandit faction, to see them being respected as rulers and having fiefs just annoys me

Based upon a rapist People? Pretty sure all Conquering type people raped the S out of the conquered.

No they didn't. Steppe people came in and conquered settled people repeatedly throughout history. The Mongols are merely the most famous example. But you know the chinese faction the Mongols first conquered? A steppe people that had conquered Northern China, and not even from the native Han, no, they conquered it from the LAST steppe people that conquered northern China, and these were the ones that conquered it from the native Song dynasty.

The Mongols first hit the Empire of Jin, founded by the Jurchen tribes. Yes, these were steppe people that took advantage of the situation of NORTHERN Song and Liao Empire of the Khitai. I've already properly mentioned the Song Empire is already considered to be the WEAKEST of relative military power in all the history of Chinese Empires.

I've specifically stated that steppe people only entered China AFTER the Chinese basically tore themselves up from the inside. When their empires were functioning normally, sorry, but all the steppe people could muster were occasional raiding parties along the border frontiers.

Wanna know who was ruling persia and syria and most of anatolia at the time the Mongols arrived? The turks, another people who had conquered these lands from the steppes.

Plain wrong and misleading. Out of the 600 years of the great Muslim Empires, the front half of 300 years were the Umayyads and Abassids. The Umayyads were Arabian, and the Abassid Kurds were long assimiliated into the general Muslim Caliphate culture -- as well as the Seljuks and Ottomans.

You're speaking of people who CAME from the steppes and spent over 300 years assimilated to a highly-advanced city life. What part of Seljuks or Kurds living in places like major cities of Aleppo, Cairo, Damascus and etc, are you willing to call 'steppe,' I wonder.

Ever heard of Hungary? Made by steppe people. Who had conquered another group of steppe people, who had conquered yet ANOTHER group of step people who had set up shop in Roman territory.

FORMER Roman territory that experienced a vacuum of power and governance as the dominion of the Eastern Empire retreated under internal pressures.

Steppe people were well adapt at conquering cities. They did not, in any way, "suck" at it.

Again, 6 years in Xiangyang and 44 years in Song disagrees with you.

They were able to take one of the most heavily fortified cities in the world in China though.

The Mongols also never actually invaded Poland in force, and the forces that invaded Hungary were called away before they had time to settle in for any sort of siege warfare, and subsequent attempts never succeeded enough to invest in sieges.

That city, which you can't even remember the name of, is that Xiangyang. Spent 6 years.

With the best fortified city on earth barring MAYBE Constantinople. Not to mention the previous lands they had conquered from steppe dynasties ruling from chinese cities they conquered.

Again, to fill in the details you've either very conveniently left out, or just did not know, that "most heavily fortified city on Earth" you mentioned is the city of Xiangyang, which withstood a siege for bloody 6 years and stood tall -- until the Mongols had to bring in something that's got nothing to do with their steppe-arses -- trebuchets. That tech, and the arrival of Muslim engineers, broke the defenses.

The "previous steppe people the Mongols conquered" -- were the Jurchens, as I mentioned above, and they were in the midst of heavy rebellion within their territories from Chinese resistance forces, as well as locked in a bloody war with SOUTH Song -- when the Mongols started a blitz to pass the northern defenses to hit Jin.

And those northern Chinese cities the Jurchen Jins -- who've already adapted OUT OF THEIR STEPPE LIFE STYLES TO RULE CHINA -- were defending?

The Mongols, at the prime of Genghis Khan, took 23 years to finally break through Jin and conquer them, because they've met tremendous resistance in the Chinese cities. Under a normal situation, no steppe leader has enough political power to put their tribe through a war that takes decades. BECAUSE THE MONGOLS WERE AN ANOMALY IN THEIR CONSOLIDATION OF POWER these campaigns were possible -- which I have also mentioned.

It's like people think the world lives off video game determinism and if you put your civilization points in horse archers, you couldn't possibly have enough left over for siege engines or something.

You couldn't. That's not how socio-political conditions work.

The fact that steppe people could field so many cavalry, comes from their overall material situation. Their life style that produces such a strong field army, in turn, makes it impossible for them to maintain a consolidated military force for long enough a time to run yearslong campaigns to really conquer anything. Which is why the process of the Mongols coming to power, and forming a tight political control under the power of the Khan was something unprecedented and unseen in the steppes.
]
Because the Khan held such unusual power, he could assert enough will to keep the army besieging major fortifications despite heavy losses with no progress, for years.

Europe's social structure promoted the creation of fortifications on a scale that more centralized eastern empires did not replicate, though, again, China had some of the absolutely largest and best defended fortified cities in the period, they didn't have a vast feudal nobility that had been entrenched for centuries with all of them building themselves a ****ty keep to rule their local area. Indeed the Song deliberately stripped power from military warlords to prevent what had happened to the Tang.

Also Germany and west gets pretty far out of Steppe territory and it is harder to maiuntain a vast amount of remounts the Mongol armies relied on, though they could and did make that up with local forces elsewhere. But there's a reason the mongols never managed to fully conquer the indochinese societies despite a number of attempts (vietnam really sucks to invade).

Also the mongol empire was never stable enough to pursue a campaign in Europe so far from the heart of the empire, and successor states lacked the manpower, wealth, and organization the empire at its height did. Which is, ultimately, the actual historic reason the mongols never conquered europe. The attempt of the empire to project a force into Europe was foiled by the death of the kahn, and subsequently civil war for decades and decades between factions and successors, even as they continued their efforts to subdue China. The Yuan ultimately had little control over the mongol leaders in the western steppes who had supported Kublai's rivals, and eventually the Ilkahns also broke away.

And, finally, the mongols were not undefeatable and could be beaten in the field and driven off. The Egyptian sultanate drove the Mongols away (and then was rapidly couped by the mamlukes, who continued to reclaim Syria from both crusader and mongol forces). Nogai's attempts to invade hungary once more were foiled by a people that had learned something of their last defeats.

And guess why the Mongols were so unstable.

I'll give you a hint: it's a "steppe thing."

None of this has anything to do with some sort of inability to understand siege warfare coded into steppe people's DNA or something. Even if they lacked the institutional knowledge at first, they just learned. And the Khuzaits already have large cities, so, like, yeah, they'd have figured it out.

Nobody mentioned anything about "DNA" did they. Being a "steppe people" meant their formation of armies, way of warfare, were dictated by their culture and life-style, and economic/political foundation.

And that foundation, does not support the conditions required to be able to maintain an army capable of sieges, because siege warfare strips them of everything why a steppe army can be powerful, and takes it down to fight of pure attrition-by-numbers, faced against a force multiplier of walls and turrets and artillery, which they did not have access to.

I mention once again, that even the most mighty Mongols, required technology that was not of the steppes, to overcome such problems, and in the coming years their armies and even their life style lost semblance to the steppe life style, because you can't conquer and rule places like China while still being steppe people.

Steppe people suck in sieges, and that is a fact. Becoming proficient in siege warfare meant diluting that "steppy" characteristic of the army and welcoming in outside factors which a steppe army could not normally field. By the time Kubilai's army reached the southernmost sures of China in the last battle against Song, they were no longer the steppe army of horse archers and lancers. They were a mixed-force of infantry and cavalry, with artillery and siege engines, complete with naval forces headed by Chinese sailors and captains. <-- what part of this is "steppe" again?

Last edited:
Historically, the Mongols picked up some half-decent siege warfare capabilities while in China, and that was sufficient against many of the weaker castles in Eastern Europe, but inadequate against the heavier fortifications in the West.

In the game, cavalry should receive NO bonuses in sieges, and the Khuzaits should get a small penalty to siege warfare to offset their map-speed advantage. That would still leave them as fearsome opponents in field battles, and quite capable of driving off or engaging besiegers, but they'd struggle to take anyone else's castles. Another option would be to check if the number of spearmen in an army exceeded the number of cavalry in the other, in which case the cavalry modifier could be reduced from 20% to 10%.

Historically, the Mongols picked up some half-decent siege warfare capabilities while in China, and that was sufficient against many of the weaker castles in Eastern Europe, but inadequate against the heavier fortifications in the West.

In the game, cavalry should receive NO bonuses in sieges, and the Khuzaits should get a small penalty to siege warfare to offset their map-speed advantage. That would still leave them as fearsome opponents in field battles, and quite capable of driving off or engaging besiegers, but they'd struggle to take anyone else's castles. Another option would be to check if the number of spearmen in an army exceeded the number of cavalry in the other, in which case the cavalry modifier could be reduced from 20% to 10%.
I quite like this kind of idea, because i do understand how it makes sense for the khuzaits to be fearsome in open field battles, they are a mongol inspired faction after all, but the fact they can beat pretty much anyone on the field, AND siege just as well (or even better) than other factions is just dumb.

What about giving them more tiers?
All recruits have the same proficiency. Steppe people were very good from the beginning but few in numbers, this is not the case of khuzait that start as newbie and become masters in the same time of other factions: Vlandia crossbowman is tier 5 as khuzait horse archer but a crossbowman is supposed to be trained much faster.
But since Khuzait have foot soldiers (Who would use khuzait foot soldiers of you need recruit numbers?) too they could add some tiers: the tier 6 horse archer will be the current tier 5 horse archer. Same level, strenght and proficiency in simulation but will require a further promotion so it will level up slower.

The Mongols first hit the Empire of Jin, founded by the Jurchen tribes. Yes, these were steppe people that took advantage of the situation of NORTHERN Song and Liao Empire of the Khitai. I've already properly mentioned the Song Empire is already considered to be the WEAKEST of relative military power in all the history of Chinese Empires.

I've specifically stated that steppe people only entered China AFTER the Chinese basically tore themselves up from the inside. When their empires were functioning normally, sorry, but all the steppe people could muster were occasional raiding parties along the border frontiers.

Plain wrong and misleading. Out of the 600 years of the great Muslim Empires, the front half of 300 years were the Umayyads and Abassids. The Umayyads were Arabian, and the Abassid Kurds were long assimiliated into the general Muslim Caliphate culture -- as well as the Seljuks and Ottomans.

You're speaking of people who CAME from the steppes and spent over 300 years assimilated to a highly-advanced city life. What part of Seljuks or Kurds living in places like major cities of Aleppo, Cairo, Damascus and etc, are you willing to call 'steppe,' I wonder.

FORMER Roman territory that experienced a vacuum of power and governance as the dominion of the Eastern Empire retreated under internal pressures.

Again, 6 years in Xiangyang and 44 years in Song disagrees with you.

That city, which you can't even remember the name of, is that Xiangyang. Spent 6 years.

Again, to fill in the details you've either very conveniently left out, or just did not know, that "most heavily fortified city on Earth" you mentioned is the city of Xiangyang, which withstood a siege for bloody 6 years and stood tall -- until the Mongols had to bring in something that's got nothing to do with their steppe-arses -- trebuchets. That tech, and the arrival of Muslim engineers, broke the defenses.

The "previous steppe people the Mongols conquered" -- were the Jurchens, as I mentioned above, and they were in the midst of heavy rebellion within their territories from Chinese resistance forces, as well as locked in a bloody war with SOUTH Song -- when the Mongols started a blitz to pass the northern defenses to hit Jin.

And those northern Chinese cities the Jurchen Jins -- who've already adapted OUT OF THEIR STEPPE LIFE STYLES TO RULE CHINA -- were defending?

The Mongols, at the prime of Genghis Khan, took 23 years to finally break through Jin and conquer them, because they've met tremendous resistance in the Chinese cities. Under a normal situation, no steppe leader has enough political power to put their tribe through a war that takes decades. BECAUSE THE MONGOLS WERE AN ANOMALY IN THEIR CONSOLIDATION OF POWER these campaigns were possible -- which I have also mentioned.

You couldn't. That's not how socio-political conditions work.

The fact that steppe people could field so many cavalry, comes from their overall material situation. Their life style that produces such a strong field army, in turn, makes it impossible for them to maintain a consolidated military force for long enough a time to run yearslong campaigns to really conquer anything. Which is why the process of the Mongols coming to power, and forming a tight political control under the power of the Khan was something unprecedented and unseen in the steppes.
]
Because the Khan held such unusual power, he could assert enough will to keep the army besieging major fortifications despite heavy losses with no progress, for years.

And guess why the Mongols were so unstable.

I'll give you a hint: it's a "steppe thing."

Nobody mentioned anything about "DNA" did they. Being a "steppe people" meant their formation of armies, way of warfare, were dictated by their culture and life-style, and economic/political foundation.

And that foundation, does not support the conditions required to be able to maintain an army capable of sieges, because siege warfare strips them of everything why a steppe army can be powerful, and takes it down to fight of pure attrition-by-numbers, faced against a force multiplier of walls and turrets and artillery, which they did not have access to.

I mention once again, that even the most mighty Mongols, required technology that was not of the steppes, to overcome such problems, and in the coming years their armies and even their life style lost semblance to the steppe life style, because you can't conquer and rule places like China while still being steppe people.

Steppe people suck in sieges, and that is a fact. Becoming proficient in siege warfare meant diluting that "steppy" characteristic of the army and welcoming in outside factors which a steppe army could not normally field. By the time Kubilai's army reached the southernmost sures of China in the last battle against Song, they were no longer the steppe army of horse archers and lancers. They were a mixed-force of infantry and cavalry, with artillery and siege engines, complete with naval forces headed by Chinese sailors and captains. <-- what part of this is "steppe" again?

XD That steppy characteristic? Yep, they had to take their points out of horse archer to put into siege obviously.

Man this is some nonsense. Gee Steppe people learned how to siege pretty good. Oh but it doesn't count because learning how to siege means they don't count as steppe people any more! Infallible logic! Unbeatable! They still used mostly horse archers and this is the position the Khuzaits are in in the game.

I just don't get your argument "It doesn't count cause they had to learn how to do it!" I mean, I guess western europeans were **** at siege too. So were middle easterners. And the Chinese. Cause, like, it was the byzantines (probably) that invented the counterweight trebuchet, so only they get to count it. Or something. I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom