Can I get advice on how to build my character?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes it's much better in bannerlrod because troops do not protect themselves with shields competently and constantly expose themselves.
Good lord, and here I was thinking they just input read when to raise their shields to block at the last second lol. Here's hoping A.I.'s survival sense gets improved since I suspect their lame brains are the result of too much "hive mind" and not enough individual mind.

Thank you both for the great advice I really appreciate help clearing that up for me :smile: I'm going to try to implement some of the tactics, I have to rearrange my army some and get rid of my mounted knights in favor of more calvary/archers.

I really appreciate it :smile:

So I actually fought two big battles with armies @ 115 and then at 90 (big to me, lol). The first one I lost like 40ish troops and made some mistakes, the big one being dying then everyone just charged and it was a bloodbath. The second I actually did pretty good and only lost a handful of men, was super proud of that one.

I think I'm ready to go from mercenary to vassal now that I can defeat lords, but I don't know the best time to make this transition. Any suggestions?

So I actually fought two big battles with armies @ 115 and then at 90 (big to me, lol). The first one I lost like 40ish troops and made some mistakes, the big one being dying then everyone just charged and it was a bloodbath. The second I actually did pretty good and only lost a handful of men, was super proud of that one.

I think I'm ready to go from mercenary to vassal now that I can defeat lords, but I don't know the best time to make this transition. Any suggestions?
I'd say that's fairly typical for a newbie lol, I've had shameful "victories" as well and I've certainly had defeats where I have ~500 troops total against a similarly large enemy--it's a learning process all the way lol. And don't mistake that commentary as being from a veteran--I still consider myself a newbie since I've only completed one playthrough thus far.

That depends on what you ambitions are, because you're ultimately trading away your freedom for lifelong obligations that you cannot easily back out of.

Let's assume you have the conventional objective of becoming the founder of a new country and want it to be secure, powerful, and maybe unite all Calradia down the line. If that's your goal, I recommend joining a kingdom that's powerful enough that there's NO homeless clans (because homeless clans get first dibs on captured fiefs--something that'll likely deprive you of gains down the line if you aren't careful) but weak enough that you could reasonably take them on once you've secured a power base. Decent examples might be the three Empire factions since their central locations make them easy targets for their neighbors while the corners they can expand into are desirable places to rule over and use as a base for future independence. For example, if you joined the Western Empire, I'd prioritize moving into Sargot, or Charas, or Quyaz (etc.) and then pushing into that respective cardinal direction to secure your own safe and prosperous corner. If, however, you joined the Vlandians, it'd be much harder to secure a safe corner that isn't in Sturgia or the Nahasa Desert, unless they've been badly beaten up and are willing to give you one of their hinterland cities. In that case, well... it'd be another set of problems. Also note that proximity is weighed heavily in fief vote determinations, with the only thing preventing too much of a snowball being that the more total prosperity a clan has the less favored they are.

Regardless, you'll want a nest egg saved away because fief profitability can vary widely. When you have a fief of your own, the rule of thumb is to have no more than 2-300 stashed Tier 1-4 troops to keep expenses down while making the settlement hard to attack, unless you plan on rebelling or otherwise need a reserve of top tier troops in that city (in which case you need a nest egg, possibly in the millions of denars, just to pay the bills since a huge/expensive army is extremely expensive).

Finally, as a mercenary, you're in an ironic position to befriend possible compatriots. Simply release any noble you capture and their families will come to love you, making it that much easier to poach them to your side should you wish to do that (ideally as an independent ruler).

I'd say that's fairly typical for a newbie lol, I've had shameful "victories" as well and I've certainly had defeats where I have ~500 troops total against a similarly large enemy--it's a learning process all the way lol. And don't mistake that commentary as being from a veteran--I still consider myself a newbie since I've only completed one playthrough thus far.

That depends on what you ambitions are, because you're ultimately trading away your freedom for lifelong obligations that you cannot easily back out of.

Let's assume you have the conventional objective of becoming the founder of a new country and want it to be secure, powerful, and maybe unite all Calradia down the line. If that's your goal, I recommend joining a kingdom that's powerful enough that there's NO homeless clans (because homeless clans get first dibs on captured fiefs--something that'll likely deprive you of gains down the line if you aren't careful) but weak enough that you could reasonably take them on once you've secured a power base. Decent examples might be the three Empire factions since their central locations make them easy targets for their neighbors while the corners they can expand into are desirable places to rule over and use as a base for future independence. For example, if you joined the Western Empire, I'd prioritize moving into Sargot, or Charas, or Quyaz (etc.) and then pushing into that respective cardinal direction to secure your own safe and prosperous corner. If, however, you joined the Vlandians, it'd be much harder to secure a safe corner that isn't in Sturgia or the Nahasa Desert, unless they've been badly beaten up and are willing to give you one of their hinterland cities. In that case, well... it'd be another set of problems. Also note that proximity is weighed heavily in fief vote determinations, with the only thing preventing too much of a snowball being that the more total prosperity a clan has the less favored they are.

Regardless, you'll want a nest egg saved away because fief profitability can vary widely. When you have a fief of your own, the rule of thumb is to have no more than 2-300 stashed Tier 1-4 troops to keep expenses down while making the settlement hard to attack, unless you plan on rebelling or otherwise need a reserve of top tier troops in that city (in which case you need a nest egg, possibly in the millions of denars, just to pay the bills since a huge/expensive army is extremely expensive).

Finally, as a mercenary, you're in an ironic position to befriend possible compatriots. Simply release any noble you capture and their families will come to love you, making it that much easier to poach them to your side should you wish to do that (ideally as an independent ruler).

Thank you very much! I followed all that but the homeless clans, they still confuse me not sure what they are exactly or how I find them? My playthrough kind of revolves around the southern Empire so I would join them and plan to take them over like you said to become king. I think I'm going to save up money though, I only have around 30kish right now, I got the troops to level my troops through gear so while I have a top tier army replaced after my horrible losses, I haven't been replenishing gold a lot.

Thank you very much! I followed all that but the homeless clans, they still confuse me not sure what they are exactly or how I find them? My playthrough kind of revolves around the southern Empire so I would join them and plan to take them over like you said to become king. I think I'm going to save up money though, I only have around 30kish right now, I got the troops to level my troops through gear so while I have a top tier army replaced after my horrible losses, I haven't been replenishing gold a lot.
By "homeless," I mean they have no fiefs. I'm not sure if you updated to 1.1.0 (which changes the rules by adding a Fog of War effect...) but if you haven't, you can check via Encyclopedia each clan within a country and see if they own any towns or castles. If they don't, they're homeless, which is important because they get first dibs on newly acquired lands regardless of any other factors (barring extreme outlier circumstances). You can take advantage of this yourself, by the way, like by donating the first territory you're voted to have so you can become homeless again so you can get dibs on the next land (in the event you don't like your first fief).

Yeah, 30,000 isn't much to fall back on and you can definitely lose money through having to spend to rebuild your retinue, so saving up is always a good idea. Battling nobles and selling their soldiers' gear is a great way to make tens of thosuands per battle though, so being a mercenary is a fast way to make money because it provides the opportunity of defeating high yield enemies (with associated risks, of course!). I'd recommend saving up a million for when you plan on going independent, but for being a nobleman I think 100,000 is enough in savings since you're unlikely to end up in debt with your first fief unless you overstaff it (be wary of that--an easy new player trap is budgeting for security).

By "homeless," I mean they have no fiefs. I'm not sure if you updated to 1.1.0 (which changes the rules by adding a Fog of War effect...) but if you haven't, you can check via Encyclopedia each clan within a country and see if they own any towns or castles. If they don't, they're homeless, which is important because they get first dibs on newly acquired lands regardless of any other factors (barring extreme outlier circumstances). You can take advantage of this yourself, by the way, like by donating the first territory you're voted to have so you can become homeless again so you can get dibs on the next land (in the event you don't like your first fief).

Yeah, 30,000 isn't much to fall back on and you can definitely lose money through having to spend to rebuild your retinue, so saving up is always a good idea. Battling nobles and selling their soldiers' gear is a great way to make tens of thosuands per battle though, so being a mercenary is a fast way to make money because it provides the opportunity of defeating high yield enemies (with associated risks, of course!). I'd recommend saving up a million for when you plan on going independent, but for being a nobleman I think 100,000 is enough in savings since you're unlikely to end up in debt with your first fief unless you overstaff it (be wary of that--an easy new player trap is budgeting for security).

Well I actually wasn't sure my PC could run it so I tried it out on game pass lol but I'm pretty sure that's the latest build. I'm going to check that out thank you! I will save up some more and raise some more relations before going vassal, no rush I guess really. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it :smile:

Well I actually wasn't sure my PC could run it so I tried it out on game pass lol but I'm pretty sure that's the latest build. I'm going to check that out thank you! I will save up some more and raise some more relations before going vassal, no rush I guess really. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it :smile:
I recommend waiting on updating--I've read some bug reports (particularly A.I. jank) that may be a real dampener to have to deal with, especially for a first playthrough.

And you're welcome! I'm happy to have helped. :smile:

I recommend waiting on updating--I've read some bug reports (particularly A.I. jank) that may be a real dampener to have to deal with, especially for a first playthrough.

And you're welcome! I'm happy to have helped. :smile:
Is that with the update from today? Was 29Gb lol still waiting on it to download. Apparently with game pass you can't play while it downloads but I heard someone say the patch breaks saves so that's going to suck :sad:

Is that with the update from today? Was 29Gb lol still waiting on it to download. Apparently with game pass you can't play while it downloads but I heard someone say the patch breaks saves so that's going to suck :sad:
Oh, I doubt it'll break, at least nothing like that happened to me on PS4 so you'll most likely be fine. At worst you should expect the A.I. to play a little more wobbly--hopefully you won't notice any real issues.

Oh, I doubt it'll break, at least nothing like that happened to me on PS4 so you'll most likely be fine. At worst you should expect the A.I. to play a little more wobbly--hopefully you won't notice any real issues.

Okay awesome. So I know I can make my companions/brother become a party leader. I tried this but I couldn't issue him commands and he just trotted away. I was hoping he would follow me and be like part of my army but allow me to raise above my 120 party limit cap. So I called him back and didn't bother with it.

Do I ever get to command more than one army, or is it always just my own and party leaders always do their own thing?

Okay awesome. So I know I can make my companions/brother become a party leader. I tried this but I couldn't issue him commands and he just trotted away. I was hoping he would follow me and be like part of my army but allow me to raise above my 120 party limit cap. So I called him back and didn't bother with it.

Do I ever get to command more than one army, or is it always just my own and party leaders always do their own thing?
Once you've joined a kingdom or established one of your own (so not when you're a wanderer or otherwise homeless) you'll be able to access the Kingdom Tab and expend Influence (a currency) to pull retinues into an army. For the time being, I don't recommend forming NPC retinues except as caravans (though it may be too late for them to be useful since they're pretty much guaranteed to be destroyed once you're part of a kingdom due to wars) since this is really for when you're campaigning to take over cities or fight pitched battles.

When not part of an army under your direct command, NPC retinues can be useful for patrolling areas (especially after a conquest or a defensive siege) grinding bottom tier units into higher tier ones, and giving their leaders experience in places they normally can't when in your own retinue.

Once you've joined a kingdom or established one of your own (so not when you're a wanderer or otherwise homeless) you'll be able to access the Kingdom Tab and expend Influence (a currency) to pull retinues into an army. For the time being, I don't recommend forming NPC retinues except as caravans (though it may be too late for them to be useful since they're pretty much guaranteed to be destroyed once you're part of a kingdom due to wars) since this is really for when you're campaigning to take over cities or fight pitched battles.

When not part of an army under your direct command, NPC retinues can be useful for patrolling areas (especially after a conquest or a defensive siege) grinding bottom tier units into higher tier ones, and giving their leaders experience in places they normally can't when in your own retinue.

Okay that makes sense thank you I really appreciate it, I'll definitely wait until I can give them commands then check it out.

Okay that makes sense thank you I really appreciate it, I'll definitely wait until I can give them commands then check it out.
I believe you can give generalized directives like "offensive/defensive/neutral" but yeah, the best time to make them would be when you're either a noble looking to expand or somebody who has declared independence and looking to form a big army stack.

other way is to stay independent clan as long as you can - get spouse as soon as possible (free companion and if you play campaign, for your brother/sister as well) then look for rebel town, make a family members a party leaders (do it when you close to the town so they may join your siege when times come)...
when you take a town do not make yourself a king yet, let your parties get some strength before big wars - only rebel clans can make war with you in that stage, so nothing to bother of - oh, can't be a mercenary any more
btw. choose companions from taverns by factions they came from, they give loyalty bonus to govern towns if they match...

other way is to stay independent clan as long as you can - get spouse as soon as possible (free companion and if you play campaign, for your brother/sister as well) then look for rebel town, make a family members a party leaders (do it when you close to the town so they may join your siege when times come)...
when you take a town do not make yourself a king yet, let your parties get some strength before big wars - only rebel clans can make war with you in that stage, so nothing to bother of - oh, can't be a mercenary any more
btw. choose companions from taverns by factions they came from, they give loyalty bonus to govern towns if they match...
Thank you for the advice I appreciate it! I haven't married anyone yet, does it matter who exactly I marry? Like try to marry a queen or just some random noble?

I believe you can give generalized directives like "offensive/defensive/neutral" but yeah, the best time to make them would be when you're either a noble looking to expand or somebody who has declared independence and looking to form a big army stack.

Thanks I appreciate the info :smile:

Thank you for the advice I appreciate it! I haven't married anyone yet, does it matter who exactly I marry? Like try to marry a queen or just some random noble?

Thanks I appreciate the info :smile:
It's impossible for clan heads to marry other clan heads. In other words, you cannot marry Empress Rhagaea lol.

And I'd recommend marrying and making babies ASAP since they're your lifelines for when you inevitably die lol. Not only that, but more kids equals more characters who can do things that don't count towards the Companions limit. Parentage does affect starting stats and growths since crappy parents results in (relatively) mediocre children while high stat parents results in absolutely OP children. Unlike with your original character, you can tailor-design your kids' stat spreads once they've grown up to be hyper optimized so that combined with leveling skills up much faster when still young should make transitioning to the next generation relatively smooth.

EDIT: And that advice given about being an unaffiliated clan owning cities--that's basically an exploit, so you may or may not want to try that out since it basically makes you immune to getting war declared upon by proper factions since you technically aren't a faction for them to declare war on anyway. Ordinarily (or if you actually were to establish a country upon owning territory as an independent) that's generally be suicidal since free cities are usually on front lines and you're unlikely to have more than a few hundred troops to defend the new acquisition from the numerous hungry neighbors who'll likely set aside their differences to gank you lol.

No it's not an exploit but rather an alternative path to becoming a king. The war declaration immunity is there specifically to prevent you from immediately being wiped out by the established factions. It does come with downsides, like only being able to peace out with kingdoms by paying an up-front sum and not being able to form armies. Generally other factors will lead you to form a kingdom eventually.

I guess prolonging non-kingdomhood indefinitely could be regarded as an exploit by some but honestly try it for yourself before making such a statement (of position).

Back
Top Bottom