Can battle deployment be updated?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'v been trying to use the battle deployment to create specific squads of troops but because of the troop type it is impossible for me to create it. I feel like this system could be a lot more simple, why not allow the player to click on specific soldiers to add to any formation would make it a lot less of a hassle if anybody is having trouble.

This is probably the single most requested feature of all, but the devs seem to view it as an impossible problem. Apparently, letting the player assign troops to specific formations would break the whole system or something.

It's funny because the original player request was just to be able to position our formations before battle and Taleworlds comes back a year later with this complex system that does that but also removes the ability to assign troops to formations. And then they tell us it's impossible to assign troops without breaking the system. But they're the ones who designed it that way!

It's like going to a restaurant and ordering a hamburger and they bring you a hot dog, and when you complain that you wanted a hamburger they say "we can't give you a hamburger because it doesn't fit on the hot dog bun". It's ridiculous.

All we wanted was the battle deployment (which was part of their plans originally, ie that 'perk' from way back) with the earlier/WB party sorting tabs but they made it unnecessarily obtuse with how it's currently sorted (honestly don't think that 'priority heavy armor/throwing/etc part of it even works).
Not like the AI use it anyways besides the basic 1 infantry, 1 archer, 1 HA, 2 flanking cavalry setup.
The only area I see this even being somewhat remotely relevant is with siege defense deployments.

I mean, they gave us this all-knowing encyclopedia, and with how they love creating features of menu-clicking, might as well just make it so players can pre-assign troops from there so it's auto-sorted to the party number we want them to be when we get them. Ie. all throwing infantry preset to #5, then customize from there for only T6 units in a separate, etc...

@five bucks You're always on the lookout for missing features so I'm guessing if anyone would know a bit about this it'd be you.
Do you happen to know if the Devs talked about this feature on the forums?
@MRay would be the best person to ask as the UI guy of Taleworlds, I haven't seen any other TW staff comment on the troop sorting system in the past, except Dejan/Callum said this:

"as well as a variety of quality of life changes such as party member sorting."

But obviously that's pretty broad. I haven't seen any specific plans outlaid for how they're going to improve formation sorting. But then again I definitely haven't seen everything and my memory is pretty spotty :razz:

It would be really nice to know what improvements they plan to make.

My most hated feature of BL (even more so than the stupid design of castle/town walls and defense artillery spots which drive me crazy regularly).

BTW once there was a mod to reintroduce the partyscreen deployment, seemingly recently updated: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/4398

I did not try yet in 1.0.1 but I hope it works. Slowly but constantly I remove the annoying parts of the game if possible. Next mod to wait for is Configurable Battle Scenes update, to avoid fighting in the dark.

Last edited:
would be the best person to ask as the UI guy of Taleworlds, I haven't seen any other TW staff comment on the troop sorting system in the past, except Dejan/Callum said this:
That is related to party screen troop sorting. With that feature players will be able to sort their troops in the party screen by Type, Name, Count and Tier.

I'll quote my other post that relates to OP's topic:

Not being able to assign troops and lords in the party screen is intended but the reasons are different.

Being able to assign troops to different formations would break the saved values and how the percentage sliders/filters work. If you could assign a horse archer to an infantry formation, you couldn't get him out of the infantry formation in current implementation of the OoB. Zeroing the Infantry slider in that formation would still keep the horse archer you put in there. OR we disregard the horse archer assigned there are, move him back to a horse archer formation when the slider value changes. Formations would be a mishmash of troops and it's not possible to represent that with sliders.

If we add all 4 troop type sliders to all of the cards then one of the problems is, "when do we remove the troops assign from party screen?". Player changed the filter, do we remove them? Player set the slider to zero, do we remove them? I'm not even going into AI problems with having 8 different mishmash formations.

Now one way to overcome that can be locking each formation's troop type from the get go and not letting the player change them. Formation I-II is Infantry, Formation III-IV is Ranged, Formation V-VI is Cavalry and Formation VII-VIII is Horse Archer and you can only assign a troop to a formation that is related to their equipment. But we didn't want to restrict the player to these pre selections.

All in all, assigning formations to normal troops in the party screen is conflicting with changes made in OoB that's why it's removed.

Now lords/companions are a different story. Since they're more fluid with their equipment and they're unique, they don't have to conform to the formation types. We can handle them in a different way. This doesn't have to be in the party screen, we can add a separate UI in the formation cards that you could use to put unassigned heroes in that formation as troops. We can save the assigned formation of the hero and not let them be affected from the sliders. I am, personally, not against this and would love to bring it up internally. That's why I asked for a suggestion post, here. If you feel the assignment of heroes to specific formation as troops, not just captains, would be a good addition feel free to leave a comment in that post.

I've discussed this change in many posts in this forum, this is one of those I'll leave it here:https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/why-was-old-troop-assignment-system-removed.448574

Problem is, you created a problem with the sliders which wasn't necessary and argue that you cannot solve the problem because of the problem you created. BTW troops now often also are a mishmash, thanks to the sliders and the minimal influence they offer.

And the tactical depths of the game generally is so shallow and numbers do count so much that being able to adjust your groups ingeniously before each battle (for the unknown situation?) with the sliders is a feature useful in 1% perhaps. In 99 % it is not necessary and just annoying. Give me back the partyscreen deployment, please.

TBH, I call BS on those excuses. The OoB feature was implemented well after the rest of the EA release, these were problems that should have been asked at the development or even with some input from players during the EA and feedback?
We get the OoB feature, and half of it is not what we were expecting and almost immediately made known the first day it came out. Why are these problems/roadblocks being relayed after the fact and now, because of how it is set, seemingly impossible to fix/improve? TW being so tightfisted with their communication and adverse to player input got them stuck in this situation, and again, players get this half-assed feature, among a host of many others.

Lack of foresight and seemingly another rushed feature added to check a box, lacking depth, and because of whatever reason it was developed, 'impossible' or 'too difficult' to fix or correct.

The 'transfer' troops in the battle already mish/mashes that HA>infantry grouping and not being able to re-extract them from that grouping after (or the bug with companions being mixed in wrong category), so why was that part still allowed if it wasn't possible in the pre-battle?

You already have the 'option' to prioritize heavy armor/throwables/polearms/etc...subset within a troop grouping (which I don't think actually works in-game), so there is clearly a route that could be implemented to utilize that 'feature' to re-organize/extract' troop groupings.

I thoroughly enjoy being able the place troops before the battle starts and being able to "scout" the map before the battle begins.

However...

I do really miss not being able to segregate troop types.

But my technological knowledge does not extend far enough to weigh in on this, so I'll take it at face value that it can't be done and won't come back.

it's a minor problem in vanilla bannerlord, but in mods like old realms with different unit types (mages, gunners, engineers) the lack of troop sorting possibilitties does downgrade the experience, so it should be revised.

That is related to party screen troop sorting. With that feature players will be able to sort their troops in the party screen by Type, Name, Count and Tier.

I'll quote my other post that relates to OP's topic:

I've discussed this change in many posts in this forum, this is one of those I'll leave it here:https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/why-was-old-troop-assignment-system-removed.448574
Could you not add more specific weapon selection rather than just polearms you could have one and 2 handed selection which also allows you to pick between mace,sword and such and give a prefrence to troops with light armor.

Last edited:
@MRay with the current system you are unable to do very basic stuff like

• creating a shield wall in the front line to absorb the enemy arrow rain with infantry which have a shield because you can not split units with and without it in two groups. The result is that now I am avoiding using units without shield.
  • You are also unable to create a group with new recruits to deploy them in a safe position, training people has become a little nightmare.
  • You are unable to create a sort of tactical reserve with high tier units, which is really awful.

Such things are very very basic and common for almost all players and I am not adding others like having your surgeon in the front line because someone says that he is an infantry man because I know you are aware.

Honestly in my very humble opinion I think you can't see the forest for the trees.

The result is that now I am avoiding using units without shield.
I was doing that anyway because arrows do such a ridiculous amount of damage to armor lol but you're not wrong.
Honestly in my very humble opinion I think you can't see the forest for the trees.
He probably understands and the boss just made him do it so that it was easier for console players to do it on controllers. :xf-frown:

BTW once there was a mod to reintroduce the partyscreen deployment, seemingly recently updated: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/4398
Partyscreen Formation Assignments for 1.0.0 has been working great for me. You can put your troops into formations in the party screen like before, and then they will be in the formations in the OoB screen. Only issue right now is that banners cause crashes for some reason, so make sure you don't have any banners equipped. Since they are useless anyway I don't really miss them....

Back
Top Bottom