"Camping is gamey"

Users who are viewing this thread

A while ago i was playing in a battle server, and our team was getting beat pretty bad, so i suggested we "camp" our spawn. (also i do not think "camping" is really the right word, more like "not charging right into the enemy")

When i suggested this, some one made the statement "camping is to gamey" At the time i was just like "OK, just got to go with the team" but the more i thought about that statement, the more i started to think about it.

I would like to start off by saying, that the whole idea of not doing something because its "gamey" is kind of silly, i mean, it IS a game (now i do the whole "honor" thing and let the last person alive duel, but thats just me) but the main problem i have with it is, that it IS realistic.

Medivile armies would sit camped across from each other for days, and each day (not EVERY day) they might form ranks and present battle away, and if the opponent did, then they might fight, or just "skirmishing" (having there archers fire back and forth) and after the enemy had lost enough men from this, they would advance, and force an engagement.

That is pretty much how it is in mount and blade, who ever stays back and lets there archers kill some of the enemy will then be able to advance and when they fight, they have the power of numbers.

My main point is that, "camping" is not only realistic, but often a good idea.  Now i am not saying its the "win all" tactic, there are times when its a BAD idea, but there are a lot of times that i have seen when its a GOOD idea.

Also, in closing i would like clan leaders opinion about this.

I use to camp alot in beta because it was very fun. But now that I've joined a clan and played some clan wars it's actually helps to camp if you want to have a good lead on the board .I have no problem with it whatsoever even when its a pub game.

Do people really complain about defensive tactics in battle mode? I mean, seriously...

"Camping" usually refers to archers who sit around in towers or buildings, and a round on Port Assault in which one team just sits in that one building can indeed by quite boring, but just holding position isn't "gamey" or anything... (And if a team wants to stick in those buildings i don't have a problem with that either, as long as the map isn't played for like  10 rounds.)

Tactically it is often a very good strategy. However in normal public games it can be very boring when the winning side just decides to camp every round. I have no problem with camping as a strategy as long as it doesn't make the fight completely one-sided and boring.

People who camp are lame. They say its strategic or smart blah blah blah. They cant win straight up so they turtle or hide to get enough of an advantage to make up for their poor abilities. They need a crutch. This isnt life or death its a bloody game if you die ingame you respawn right away yet some people play like they are afraid to die. You see it in every game from MMO's to FPS.

The thing i dont get is how there is any thrill or acomplishment for cheesing out a victory, or even worse cheesing and losing then you must feel really low. But i dont understand cheaters/hackers getting any satisfaction when they win either, but they do i guess.

Message of the day DONT CAMP PEOPLE :smile:

Shine said:
People who camp are lame. They say its strategic or smart blah blah blah. They cant win straight up so they turtle or hide to get enough of an advantage to make up for their poor abilities. They need a crutch. This isnt life or death its a bloody game if you die ingame you respawn right away yet some people play like they are afraid to die. You see it in every game from MMO's to FPS.

The thing i dont get is how there is any thrill or acomplishment for cheesing out a victory, or even worse cheesing and losing then you must feel really low. But i dont understand cheaters/hackers getting any satisfaction when they win either, but they do i guess.

Message of the day DONT CAMP PEOPLE :smile:

Depends. If it is Battle-mode, then people have every right to play out their one life as they wish. Sometimes playing defensively is the best option to take, especially against ranged//cav superiority.

Camping can be extremely annoying and boring. As a valid battle tactic I'm ok with it, but I've seen people camp when it doesn't give them any advantage (on contrary).

Today, Rhodoks vs Sarranid. Rhodoks camp on Plains map. What they do is basically get to the edge of the map and.. wait to get shot down by enemy archers. This simply does not work.

The worse thing is that they didn't need to camp. I was among the Rhodok cavalry and we did great vs Sarranid but part of our team preferred to just ... wait wait wait.. lose. It's lame, sorry. When you can play normal game and decide to camp, that sucks. When you camp, and let the rest of your team die, that's even worse.

IMO, camping and shield walls are among the most overrated strategies in this game. Flanking and using guerrilla groups are the most overlooked ones.

I will never forgive anyone who combines camping and archer spam. It is the most annoying tactic I have ever seen, even moreso because it works, from maps as unbalanced as Village to the supposed pinnacle of WB MP maps, Ruins.

Depending on faction matchup camping can be the only valid tactic you have.  IE against khergits or any cav spamming team. 

Although there was a funny incident once when someone suggested camping against the vaegirs.  I had a good laugh at that.  You don't force a skirmishing archer battle against the faction with the best and frequently the most archers.

I only play battle mode... and i see teams camp almost daily.. with this i also see many comments where people say all sorts of **** about the camping team. yet how can it be called camping when the team is being slaughtered every round they charge out? the second they decide to try and hold a bridge/spawn etc they are lame and have no skill.  :roll:

its a valid tactic... it can get annoying and boring when teams constantly do this.. but i understand why it happens.

Its like when the Khergits are playing everybody moans and says crap like they suck blah blah... but not every kingdom gets to choose its enemies now does it? i admit its ****ing annoying when you are on plains as a Rhodok and then 32 horse archers start circling around you picking you off one by one each round... i mean if only Europe had the choice of a map/faction change when the Mongols invaded.

Rhodoks actually got it pretty good versus Khergits.  They just need to remember to go 20 melee with shields and 12 xbows and *gasp* use tactics.  Find a hill and form a long box with spears around your xbows on the pinnacle of it.

Anyways, camping is fine if you're getting destroyed.  And if it's port assault and all your team does is camp the 2 houses and the wall and win every round?  Yer pansies.

I don't see what is so annoying about it unless you are looking for some kind of 'constant action at all times' kind of thing. What's the big hurry? If you're playing a game, by definition you have free time. It's not like you have to be anywhere. What the hell is the rush to be running out into the field willy-nilly

Alright, glad to see people defending it.  Also Wu Wei, like i said, there are times when it is NOT a good idea to camp.

One of the things i see people complaining about is that on maps like village, if you are the team out side, i don't get why you don't just camp.  I mean i have seen it work, because if you camp, just wait till Master of the Field, then rush in, it worked, but not every time.

Also @ shine, I take it you are being Sarcastic...

@ socks, camping with archers is a valid tactic, it works vary well against certain enemy's, and some times its the only way to win.

@ tylertfb exactly! and also, like i tell people who complaining about battles taking so long, if you want constant action, play DM.

Personally, I insist that everyone on the opposing team immediately runs directly at my team, swinging constantly until they die.

If they refuse I start to insult their personal lives.

Everyone knows that if you don't make it easy for your opponents to kill you, it's because you've never spoken to a girl before. Don't take it out on us and hurt our feelings by beating us in a video game.

Back
Top Bottom