campaign_icon_capsule broke all world map mods, why?

Users who are viewing this thread

sinkpoint

Recruit
I'm the creator of Sinkpint's World Map Scene Merger, I'm just need to rant.

1.6.4 world map scene xml changes just broke all the existing world map mods. For some reason TW decided to group existing entities like castles and towns under a number of new campaign_icon_capsule_* entity nodes. This means xml shallow comparison on scene entities for merging the mods are now unworkable. Not to mention the impossible task of migrating existing mods like Calradia Expanded (I shrudder to think about the amount of work needed), which created and modified hundreds if not thousands of entities. This also means that future merging methods will have to do deep comparisons, which will drastically decrease performance.

Want I want to ask is why is this design decision needed, is there something that's going to be a permanent structure going forward?
It's getting very tiresome to have people's work destroyed with arbitrary changes to key game structures on every major release.

Just need to get this off my chest.

I'm the creator of Sinkpint's World Map Scene Merger, I'm just need to rant.

1.6.4 world map scene xml changes just broke all the existing world map mods. For some reason TW decided to group existing entities like castles and towns under a number of new campaign_icon_capsule_* entity nodes. This means xml shallow comparison on scene entities for merging the mods are now unworkable. Not to mention the impossible task of migrating existing mods like Calradia Expanded (I shrudder to think about the amount of work needed), which created and modified hundreds if not thousands of entities. This also means that future merging methods will have to do deep comparisons, which will drastically decrease performance.

Want I want to ask is why is this design decision needed, is there something that's going to be a permanent structure going forward?
It's getting very tiresome to have people's work destroyed with arbitrary changes to key game structures on every major release.

Just need to get this off my chest.
The campaign icon capsule system geographically groups settlement and hideout meshes to allow a faster method of hierarchically culling occluded meshes that don't need to be drawn on screen. It optimises campaign map CPU performance. AFAIK it was activated for modders (or custom worldmaps) on 1.6.5 and remained dormant on 1.6.4. You might want to refer to these notes from my tests https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/world-mapping-for-bannerlord.432974/post-9759243
BTW we had a lot of crashes working this out as you can't diff versions of C++ engine code. I was advised the purpose of the scripts by @Murat Türe TW's lead engine programmer when they were still dormant in 1.6.2 in August.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom