Campaign map time does not go by when player is in battle

Users who are viewing this thread

When AI lords are fighting each other, the player can wait and intervene at any time player wants.

However, the campaign map time is freezed when the player is in battle.

As an example, when player try to attack a castle, even if player see enemy reinforcements coming on the campaign map,
once player press the attack button to enter battle, Player dose not need to worry about enemy reinforcements.
No matter how long the battle ends, the situation on the campaign map remains the same.

I think this is very unnatural
Can Tw fix the time of the campaign map to flow even when the player is in battle?

Last edited:
The campaign map time stops whenever the player is in town or any other scene (or "map"). This is a deliberate (and sound) design choice..
While they could make time pass while the player is busy, it doesn't bring that much to the player experience (like the player battle reinforcements on both sides) and opens a number of complex issues with awkward solutions.
Taleworlds won't change this ever, but some masochistic, bored modder might. Before you ask, you can't just tweak this into existence, you need to write code that handles all the problems with it.

Edit: the best reason against this is CPU overload - the computer needs to keep the battle running and calculate everything that's going on in the overworld.
However, there are clever design tricks that could simulate the distant reinforcements. The code could look for any interested parties in battle vicinity and calculate their time of arrival, then spawn them in battle as timed reinforcements.

Last edited:
The code could look for any interested parties in battle vicinity and calculate their time of arrival, then spawn them in battle as timed reinforcements.
I think that mode like this already exist, but I forgot its name and if it is still updated.

it seems to have been implemented in Warband
Yes they join even at a distance away but they join right at the start.

It has always been this way and its fine pretty much as is. Nearby parties will join the player battle as it begins. Although I do think it would be nice to have them arrive later on for example after all reinforcement waves have been depleted for that map/round. (Although from what I've experienced Bannerlord has infinite reinforcement waves)

I think if the system was instead that time does tick by when the player is in a scene/battle it would be nice but it would lead to a lot of player frustration, picking out a fight and then halfway through a 1,000 man army appears.

Can Tw fix the time of the campaign map to flow even when the player is in battle?
No, the game will crash trying to do all the calculations, or probably even 1/10 of them.

This effect of AI reinforcement is simulated by them joining in proximity, faster parties have more range. However keep in mind smaller parties will likely not choose to join in. Once I have even a starting 85 man party the AI will near always try to run from me unless it has a much larger army, usually needing some 400-500 units to match my power, which is too slow to join in unless you pick a fight right on top of it.

Player dose not need to worry about enemy reinforcements.
It's their funeral 100%, I would love for them to all line up for the slaughter.

Taleworlds won't change this ever, but some masochistic, bored modder might. Before you ask, you can't just tweak this into existence, you need to write code that handles all the problems with it.
Someone already did change a bit of it, the "no reinforcing parties" it. I can't recall the name of the mod.

The only time I want to continue to flow is smithing stamina, so I don't have to wait in a town for a day to continue smithing even though I've been traveling the land and battling for a month.

Edit: the best reason against this is CPU overload - the computer needs to keep the battle running and calculate everything that's going on in the overworld.
However, there are clever design tricks that could simulate the distant reinforcements. The code could look for any interested parties in battle vicinity and calculate their time of arrival, then spawn them in battle as timed reinforcements.
Hmm, I think cpu overload wouldn't be a major problem, the time you would spent on a battle would equal only a few seconds fast forward.
This mod accelerates time by 8x or 12x.
And yeah some trick to only calculate the reinforcements before the battle and for the rest it could be done after the end of the battle when showing the battle stats and loot. Even if it causes like a 3 sec delay it would be fine imo.
But I think the battle maps don't simulate the sun light changing, if I remember correctly, and this would be a problem too.

I guess something like this will not be implemented but if there aren't some major drawbacks it would be great to have this in the game as it would help connect the world map to the battles.

Never really seen why this should happen I guess some people would enjoy but I would rather not like an extra 1000 men showing up to a battle because they were just a small amount out of my view distance.
The AI recovers armies and teooos too fast for this to be a thing even at a slowed down pace you would get random 45 men stacks keep pilimg and piling on and at some point a bigger army of like 300. Not to mention that it would probably cause a bunch of lag and take quite a while

I guess something like this will not be implemented but if there aren't some major drawbacks it would be great to have this in the game as it would help connect the world map to the battles.
I know it's a bit different that the op refers, but It would be cool at least to tie the initial positions of the upcoming terrain system with the position that the parties are standing in the world map.

I know it's a bit different that the op refers, but It would be cool at least to tie the initial positions of the upcoming terrain system with the position that the parties are standing in the world map.
I think that is already planned.
With the new system, the world map has been divided into regions, with each region being connected to its own specific scene.

The system also takes into account the location and direction of the parties within the region and uses this to determine where each side will spawn in the battle.

Back
Top Bottom