Campaign map making - help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Marecone

Sergeant
Hi guys,

I am a co-developer on Gabrilduro's 1860's Mod for Warband 1.153. We use USA map with Canada, Mexico and West Indies. Parts of western Mexico and USA are not in the game.
My first task was to place centers (cities, forts and villages) as historicaly accurate as possible. Went in edit mode and sent coordinates to Gabby. Waiting to see results and hope it will look nice as it took me and BB (other helper) more then 2 weeks.
Anyway, this is what I wanted to ask you. I have tried searching on forum and even google but had no luck.

1. Can I make roads on SP campaign map and how? Rail roads would be even better. I have read somewhere that we can just paint the map and have them there for good looks and this would satisfy me as well. Unfortunatelly I have lost this link and can't find it.

2. Can I make more rivers, deserts and stuff on the map already in game? Map is good but is missing some major mountains and deserts and stuff.

I would appreciate if you could lead me step by step and I promise I'll show my result and be a good student.

Thank you all in advance.

2. if you want to add rivers, youll have to edit the map.txt with thorgrims map editor. simply paint river with brush tool(size on mimimum) approximatly where it should be, and then go into vertex editing mode and move vertices to make more detailed river and smoother shores

dia151 said:
2. if you want to add rivers, youll have to edit the map.txt with thorgrims map editor. simply paint river with brush tool(size on mimimum) approximatly where it should be, and then go into vertex editing mode and move vertices to make more detailed river and smoother shores

Yup, Thorgrim's is the most intuitive. As I have seen on the native map the roads are all modelled from before and then textured. Try opening up the native map with thorgrim's and enable wire-view (or something). It will show you a lot of vertex and triangles around the roads.

Thanx for a fast reply. As soon as I catch some free time, will try it. If I remember correct, I need to download old mount and blade first. Right?
And also anyone else can still post ther helpfull  posts as well, especially on making roads in paint just for better look and feel of the map.

Yeah, you need to download M&B but you don't need to buy it. Just copy your WB map and parties.txt in the M&B Native module (or whatever module but in M&B) and start working on it. You can do your map 2 ways: height map form Photoshop that you import in Thorgrim's or you model your own stuff in whatever 3d modelling program you know/have and then export it to OBJ file. If you chose the latter remember the map is viewed from above in the "FRONT" view in the file. That make a hell of a lot of difference. If you're using 3DsMax when you're exporting to OBJ and you have the top view in "TOP" view, remember to tick the "poser" thing in the OBJ export window, so you don't have to rotate it 90 degrees.
Remember that also for ANY 3d models for M&B/WB.

Otherwise, good luck.

Dawiduh said:
Yeah, you need to download M&B but you don't need to buy it. Just copy your WB map and parties.txt in the M&B Native module (or whatever module but in M&B) and start working on it. You can do your map 2 ways: height map form Photoshop that you import in Thorgrim's or you model your own stuff in whatever 3d modelling program you know/have and then export it to OBJ file. If you chose the latter remember the map is viewed from above in the "FRONT" view in the file. That make a hell of a lot of difference. If you're using 3DsMax when you're exporting to OBJ and you have the top view in "TOP" view, remember to tick the "poser" thing in the OBJ export window, so you don't have to rotate it 90 degrees.
Remember that also for ANY 3d models for M&B/WB.

Otherwise, good luck.

If you export it from cartographer, the materials and its colors are included the pack too,
it also detects axis handedness automagically and works out of the box with Warband and co.

Thought it was worth to note it. Sometimes there's a not so obvious, easier way.

For the sake of mentioning things, you can also use these tools:
Abhuva said:
- Obj2Map and Map2Obj
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2635
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1793
to handle convesions from .obj to .txt and vice versa. And, if your MapEditor works fine, you can relinquish the need for copy-pasting files around by using the MapManager.
For the sake of mentioning only, but, as you see, there are other alternatives to Thorgrim's Editor around, which are quite promising. The choice is up to you.

Thx v m for all kind replies up above. :wink:
1860s World Map really  needs some "make up"... :oops:
Gabby
PS Lumos, great work on your last Tutorial. !!  :cool:

Back
Top Bottom