Campaign map - help to improve it

Users who are viewing this thread

A bunch of the settlements in the extreme Eastern edge of the map are outside the range of motion for the camera. Some Ilkhanate castles and villages, and Ma'an and a couple other Mamluk settlements as well. It's very hard to tell how many soldiers are raiding Ma'an, for example, and I just got surprise-murdered by the Sultan himself.

Could the camera range be expanded to include the settlements? Or could they be shifted inwards so the camera can naturally view them?

hi everyone, sorry for posting here i know this is not a suggestion thread, but now the map is a lot bigger it looks a little empty.
i just want to ask, are you guys planning to place not only settlements but new towns and castle? for example, in middle englands there is only lincoln village and beeston castle, and midlands were a very important and populated area. could you guys place some more castles like nottiingham, leicester or derby.

great mod, thanks for the hard work

Valid question there. Since restrictions to the number of settlements, it may not make sense to increase the map to such size.
Personally I liked it the smaller scale as before, and to make travel realistic I simply toned down travel speed in settings.

Well, the new map is great. Is bigger, but thanks to the added settlement it looks much more crowded and alive. Good job!

May i ask if it is possible to allow embarkment in the dardanelles strait? Right now you have to pass through the bosphorus to get to thrace from western asia minor, despite the fact that in the dardanelles there is only a tile of water.

Nikephoros said:
Well, the new map is great. Is bigger, but thanks to the added settlement it looks much more crowded and alive. Good job!

May i ask if it is possible to allow embarkment in the dardanelles strait? Right now you have to pass through the bosphorus to get to thrace from western asia minor, despite the fact that in the dardanelles there is only a tile of water.

Agree.
Also in Italy is somewhat bizarre to reacj Rome from the north, the passage from Siena is interdicted, right now you have to pass from Ancona.

Glycerius said:
Thorgrim's editor gives messages like 'cannot find M&B path' etc.

hi Glycerius, try this from the Thorgrim help page.

Settings

A number of settings can be changed in the settings.cfg file (located in your editorData directory) these are loaded when the editor starts up.

#  Mount & Blade path
# use "." if running the editor from the root M&B directory
# use "auto" to auto detect M&B path
# or type in the full path: eg "C:/games/Mount&Blade"
# NOTE: if typing the full path, use / NOT \ as a separator
mbPath=auto

#  Module to open
Mod=Native

It works best if you also install the original M&B, the free trial is enough, you won't actually play it.

I recently played a game starting as a vassal of Norway as The Lord of Porshofn. After an enjoyable 100 days or so I have two suggestions that would make playing in hat area more enjoyable.

1) tie the settlements in the Norwegian islands north of Scotland to castles on those islands, not to the Norwegian mainland. It detracts from the playability of that area by essentially making it impossible for England, Scotland or Scotia Maior to seriously contest for them. It also makes a possible rebellion against the crown in those areas extremely difficult to pull off. I wanted to create my own kingdom out of those islands but had to take three castles on mainland Norway to do so.

2) please make sea travel a bit faster. Please please please please  :grin: :grin:

Other than those two minor gres this is the best warband mod I've played. Thanks for all your hard work.

May I once again just adding the obvious:

More hills, rivers, forests, etc. Get rid of the big flat areas but keep it somewhat realistic.

General Awesome said:
More hills, rivers, forests, etc. Get rid of the big flat areas but keep it somewhat realistic.

Dear General Awesome:

Well, firstable the game/mod has to stay stable and shouldn´t run on low framerate. If you want more hills, forrests and smooth shorelines etc. you have to accept, it won´t be playable anymore. The first step to improve the actual worldmap should be to reduce the amount of vertex structures (by removing and reducing non-neccessary nodes and triangles). Next step is adjusting to an average fps value for the areas (again adding some nodes to make it "shiny" again) as far as possible. Of course you can create a 1 GB big map file with billions of nodes so it looks like the reality, but it makes no sense!

I´m currently working on the map with Thogrim´s editor and sometimes it seems, like someone (who created this file) had fun by creating useless structures or was just too lazy to adjust it after heightmap import.

The engine is limited and even on release it was graphically outdated. So don´t expect it to look like Farcry3!

Btw. QUESTION @ MAPPERS: Does anyone know, how I can stabilize the editor itself? Currently suffering by crashes every 5 minutes or even by merging nodes.

BR,
Nilus

For stuff like merging nodes it's best to use a 3d program.  The editor just can't handle it and should probably just be used to paint terrain and create hills etc.

hi everyone, i tried using the thorgrim's map editor, i installed it and run it without problems (no error mesages), but trees, castles and other objects are not shown on the map, just those blue, light blue and green markers. text is not shown either, not the objects names, not even the help text or the FPS text in the upper right corner. the only thing i can edit is terrain.
Anybody knows what could cause it?
thanks

Same issue with the missing text here.
Tried most compatibility modes but still no text or fps etc.

othr said:
For stuff like merging nodes it's best to use a 3d program.  The editor just can't handle it and should probably just be used to paint terrain and create hills etc.

Which (free) 3D app would you advise to use for that issue? Then I need some more info about the game mechanics related to the nodes (read somewhere on the forum, the pathfinding system is based on those nodes - would explain the "interesting" node structures along the trading routes). How does it work in detail - any basic rules for creating/merging/deleting nodes?

Thanks in advance!

I have noticed that the names of the towns in Denmak and Norway is not correct, i can barely understand the names and btw im from Denmark.

I'm from Germany and I have nearly no problems to understand.
Lund=Lund  :mrgreen:
Hammershus = Hammershus
Flænsburgh = Flensburg ( :lol: I know it's German now)
Ok, now I try to be serious.  :wink:
Try to read everything as latin letters. Often you will hear what it could be,
Ripæ = Ribe
Wybærgh should be Viborg
Árós should be Aarhus
...and so on. If you still have problems and you are interested google map is your friend. Just go on google to the place you are searching and look for a settlement that sounds equal. But things like Ripæhús you wouldn't find on the map but out of the name I think it just means Ribecastle. So it means the Castle near or of Ribe.

kuauik said:
Valentin XI said:
I have noticed that the names of the towns in Denmak and Norway is not correct, i can barely understand the names and btw im from Denmark.
its in old norse
I had the same feeling, and checked up on it today. I found out that the 1257 team did a great job finding the Olddanske "Olddanish?" city names, which is correct for this time period.

toxic-nova said:
But things like Ripæhús you wouldn't find on the map but out of the name I think it just means Ribecastle. So it means the Castle near or of Ribe.
Ripæhús is called Riberhus today, and is a castle ruin in the town of Ribe. Literary it means Ribe House, but you got it right, with the translation :smile:

Back
Top Bottom