OSP Kit Campaign Camp Entrenchment Kit version 1.3 (update 1/21/10)

Users who are viewing this thread

Download link at M&B Repository

photobucket album
Not all pictures are from this kit. Only those labeled "entrenchment".

Adorno has made an excellant video of a couple battles with entrenched troops. It can be found on page 2.

ENTRENCHMENT KIT

Author:  Tempered
Version: 1.3
Module System version: 1.011.0

This kit adds an option to the camp menu to quickly entrench your camp site. If attacked while entrenched, you will fight from a fortified position. Not very useful for cavalry heavy armies, but very effective for armies with plenty of archers or that need to defend against cavalry. If ,while camping, you are attacked and did not take the time to entrench your position, you will fight at a disadvantage.
Currently there is a different camp fortification setup for each terrain type.

Each camp scene has a hand made walk mesh that will help the attackers and defenders deal with the fortifications. There are no invisible walls or ai barriers used. For the most part, it works pretty good. You will occasionally see a few agents do something stupid, like run into a wall of spikes or drown themselves in a river.

FUTURE PLANS

Create default camp scenes without fortifications to simulate being unprepared for an attack. Done
Add supply penalty for enemies over running encampment. Done
Stop missle resupply if enemies have over run encampment. Done
Make entrenchment option for castle/town sieges.
Make random entrenchment scenes for each terrain type and continue work on current scene files.

INSTALL

I have included the source code and a compiled version of native with the kit installed.

To install the compiled version, extract the Native_entrenched.rar file. Cut and paste the extracted folder into your modules directory. You should not be prompted to overwrite anything, if you are, just say no.

If you are a modder and want to add this to your mod, you should already know how to install it. Everything you need is in the source code folder. I do not have time to give step by step instructions on how to cut and paste from the .py files. I have included only the files that have been changed or added. All changes have been noted with the key word Tempered.

Permission

Do with it as you see fit, no need to ask. Credit for the work would be nice, but I won't hunt you down or kill your dog if it is not given. That is all.

Version History

Initial release

Feature list:

Added the following scenes:
  scn_entrenched_plain.sco
  scn_entrenched_plain_forest.sco
  scn_entrenched_snow.sco
  scn_entrenched_snow_forest.sco
  scn_entrenched_steppe.sco
  scn_entrenched_steppe_forest.sco

Added drowning to water levels above head height in entrenchement scenes, mounted and unmounted. Note that drowning horses were not implemented.
Scripting changes to many parts of the module system.

Added missle resupply to players party while in entrenchment.

Change morale cost for entrenchment to -5.

Added the following scenes:
  scn_not_entrenched_plain.sco
  scn_not_entrenched_plain_forest.sco
  scn_not_entrenched_snow.sco
  scn_not_entrenched_snow_forest.sco
  scn_not_entrenched_steppe.sco
  scn_not_entrenched_steppe_forest.sco

Added the following resources:
  Tempered_mat.brf
  Tempered_mesh.brf

New scene prop, bell tent.
Added enable/disable drowning toggle to the camp actions menu.
Made new mission template for camp scenes.
Added skill/troop number based time system to entrenchment. You no longer instantly entrench your camp site.
Changed morale cost for entrenchment to -10.

Fixed problem with tent collision mesh.

When attacked while camping, you and your soldiers start unmounted.
Horses added to all camp scenes, you can make a mad dash to your mount when the battle starts, if you like.
Some small tweaks to camp scenes.
If your camp is overrun, you may lose gold, horses, or food.
If your camp is overrun, your troops will no longer be resupplied with arrows during the battle.
Removed inventory chest and replaced with supply tent for camp scenes.
Supply tent not accessible if your camp has been overrun.
You must have tools in inventory in order to entrench your camp.
You may lose tools if your camp is overrun.
If you leave an entrenched camp, you can return to it now without having to rebuild and without the moral loss. This only works for the last entrenched camp site and you must be very near the original site. If your camp is overrun, you will see smoke or flames coming from various camp items.

CREDITS

Taleworlds, for a great game and modding support.
Adorno, for his excellant video of entrenchment in action.

Nice. Bookmarked.

Some suggestions: The spikes should be planted into a built earthwall (you can't actually drive them into the ground just like that), you could probably add a trench as well for upgraded camps. Add some tents too, 'cos the reason you have spikes around you is because you're going to hang around the place for a while so your troops might as well do it in bare comfort.

Might look into using this code but with custom scenes to fit the mod's setting.

amade said:
Nice. Bookmarked.

Some suggestions: The spikes should be planted into a built earthwall (you can't actually drive them into the ground just like that), you could probably add a trench as well for upgraded camps. Add some tents too, 'cos the reason you have spikes around you is because you're going to hang around the place for a while so your troops might as well do it in bare comfort.

Might look into using this code but with custom scenes to fit the mod's setting.

If anyone would like to donate tent props, I would gladly use them.  There will be problems with the ai maneuvering around them, however.

Most of the spikes are in earthwalls (small mounds actually). The encampments are generally made to look like something you could build within a couple hours using the natural terrain. You also have to consider the fact that archers need to be able to shoot over, not into, the spikes. I will make an effort to make the mounds slightly taller.

Tempered said:
If anyone would like to donate tent props, I would gladly use them.  There will be problems with the ai maneuvering around them, however.
I'd need tents for my outposts kit too. I don't know why there would be problems with them, but if you say so...
Awesome stuff. I'm definitely using this. Just to ask, are these "Skirmisher" things also implemented?

EDIT: By the way, your link doesn't work. Remove the last zero in the adress.

Lumos said:
Tempered said:
I'd need tents for my outposts kit too. I don't know why there would be problems with them, but if you say so...
Awesome stuff. I'm definitely using this. Just to ask, are these "Skirmisher" things also implemented?

EDIT: By the way, your link doesn't work. Remove the last zero in the adress.

Download link repaired. Thanks for the heads up.

There will be problems with tents the same as there are problems with any props. The ai will run into them, get stuck, etc. All that can really be done to minimize this, is to edit the ai mesh, and even that will not fix it 100%.

The skirmishers are for a different mod I'm working on and not included in this kit. The code is finished for them, but I'm not sure I want to release it yet. They tie into a spying/sabotage system I've made.

Allow me to spam a few screenshots.

The enemy approaching

Cunningly maneuvers past the defences:

Holding the hill:

Finally the steppe bandits stop horsing around:

The bridge is difficult for the AI and many drown (as you say), but one time practically everyone came across.
I hope in some way the AI can use this too. Anything to improve difficulty - if possible.

Alec{zacool} said:
There will be problems with the ai maneuvering around them, however.

That's what AI mesh is for! :grin:

The ai mesh can only do so much. I've done tons of work with the ai mesh, most of my time making each scene has been spent on making improvements to the ai mesh. It will not keep agents from running into objects 100% of the time. There are just too many factors that can not be controlled.

Adorno said:
Looks fabulous, a very good idea.

What is the "Spawn hostile party" in the camp menu (in the picture called 'entrenchment menu')?

Just for testing. I used it to spawn hostile parties to attack my encampments  :twisted:

Adorno said:
The bridge is difficult for the AI and many drown (as you say), but one time practically everyone came across.
I hope in some way the AI can use this too. Anything to improve difficulty - if possible.

The bridge scene still needs loads of work, actually, they all still need loads of work. I've perfected a better ai mesh system to funnel the enemy better, but it has to be painstakingly created one square at a time, by hand. The scene editor has a tendency to lockup on me also, so I lose about 50% of the work I do  :mad:

Back
Top Bottom