OSP Oriental 3D Art Camel Model

Users who are viewing this thread

Edit: Never mind, I should ask my question in my own thread.  Sorry about that.  Sleep deprivation = bad decision making. :smile:

now make me a bear
Can that even be done?  I thought horse animations were hard-coded to horse types... their joints are totally wrong for a bear, and the animation is wrong. 

All the variant "horses" I've seen have really been using horse animations, so while I could do a two-legged creature that just used the back-legs (Giant Emu Riders, anybody?) I think a bear is right out, because the front joints move a different way.  I guess if *everybody* rode bears / lions / tigers / giant war-dogs then it'd "just" be an animation change.  I really don't know how you'd get around this engine limitation otherwise.  The only good news about this is that Taleworlds could fix it fairly easily, by having the horse type of equipment associated with certain animations / skeleton by default (like the "races"), to keep backwards compatibility, but then give us a itf_ tuple that would point to a new skeleton / animation series.  Just thinking out loud there.

Also, while I'm thinking about this topic, if I move bones around in a skeleton and export that from OpenBRF, then use that as the basis for a rig, will that actually work correctly?  I don't know jack about that stuff yet.

but the camel needs a girth (strap that holds saddle on), Ill add it myself
A lot of camels are ridden without, but yeah, a war-camel probably needs one.  Pretty straightforward to add that to the maps, maybe I will get to that.

xenoargh said:
now make me a bear
Can that even be done?  I thought horse animations were hard-coded to horse types... their joints are totally wrong for a bear, and the animation is wrong. 

All the variant "horses" I've seen have really been using horse animations, so while I could do a two-legged creature that just used the back-legs (Giant Emu Riders, anybody?) I think a bear is right out, because the front joints move a different way.

Also, while I'm thinking about this topic, if I move bones around in a skeleton and export that from OpenBRF, then use that as the basis for a rig, will that actually work correctly?  I don't know jack about that stuff yet.

I have tried to put in a bear, by copying and pasting the horse rig onto the bear, the back of the bear worked fine, but the neck and head got ****ed up because the horse head is taller up than the bear head.

I could probably fix the rig, just like I had to do with the camel, where I did some fairly lengthy trial-and-error to get the head / neck just right.

But what about the front joints of the legs? 

POLAR%20BEAR.jpg

As you can see, bears have a totally different gait... until horses can have a new skeleton type associated with them, I don't see how this is practical.  It was, erm... tricky, with a camel, which uses a very similar gait and joints all face the same way.  Tricky, but not totally impossible, to get it to behave properly with the horse animations.

With something like a bear or a big cat, I think it would be impossible to have it look right, and I am not very interested in making something that doesn't look reasonable.  Not perfect, I literally taught myself how to rig over the last two weeks, so perfection will have to wait :wink:

Oh, and while I'm talking about stuff... is there any way to turn off / change the horse sounds, without shutting them off completely?  I want camel noises for camels.

Not unless one of the animation experts here tells me that the problems I'm talking about can be gotten around, no.  I don't want to see a "bear" whose front leg joints move the wrong way, sorry.  If it was 'just' the rigging, I might have been willing, since it'd be a fun stunt.

I'd be willing to consider doing this- can anybody find me an authentic photo or drawings of a camel with barding?  I am pressed for time atm.

Thanks for this great model.  :grin:
I don't believe there were armored camels, can't find any photos. Maybe they didn't use them armored because they are slow anyway.  :wink:

There are not many pictures with armoured or barbed camels, but I did come up with two examples:

Ancient Warfare, not appropriate for M&B:
http://warandgame.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/camels-in-ancient-warfare/

Camel with a saddle. Maybe you could add some kind of saddle for your camel?
http://www.hmsneo.org/%5CTulsa2k1%5CDisc1%5Cimg03.jpg

Nice work, I may implement this.

Just so all you people who want bears know, there is one that works pretty well in the Fantasy Mod.

Back
Top Bottom