Calrun (Applications and discussion)

Users who are viewing this thread

Story thread is up:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,272748.0.html

Hi there, my fellow alien beings!

Time to cheer up and meet another RP idea, hoping it won't die in the first 5 pages.
However, this RP will go in a whole different way than the usual RP's we play.
First off, if you're here to write two paragraphs, and be off, just choose the latter.
If you participate in this RP, you will need patience and dedication.
The problems I was trying to solve while thinking out this RP were the following:

1. Less active players losing attention, because others post over fifteen posts a day, with barely any useful information written in them.
2. RP's dying early on.
3. Loss of qualitative writings in our precious tavern.

Before you read on, I must tell you that the story will take place in a high fantasy, medieval place.
If you're not interested in this at all, you shouldn't bother reading any further.

This thread will be for applications and discussion. I'll open another thread for the story as soon as I know some people would be interested.

So what are we going to do?
We're going to write a long, detailed, yet exciting and tensive story with multiple authors, existing out of chapters.
Instead of writing every paragraph post by post, every author will, in turns, write a chapter.
The main character may change or not change every chapter, to the willing of the author.
However, if you plan to use characters created by other authors, it may be nice to ask for their permission first.

When may I write a chapter?
If you want your turn to write a chapter, you must apply and I'll place your name in the queue. For convenience, I'll take the first turn, to introduce the lore and story.
It is based on a long story I once started writing for myself, but it will start at the beginning of this story and how it will evolve will depend on this game. But I'll explain more about the lore after this.
When your chapter is finished, you must PM what you have to me, and I'll post it in your place. I know some of you may not like this, but I want to avoid silly people editing or removing their chapters when they get sick of it. I do promise to credit the authour, of course. Be sure that you're sure you want your writings to be posted before you PM them to me.
After writing a chapter, you'll have to apply again to write another. This will make sure active players keep writing and others just stop.
Before starting to write a story or lore, make sure you read ALL the previous chapters and lore. After a while that may be a much, but it should be worth it, if it works out.

How much time do I have to complete a chapter?
Once it is your turn, as much as you need. I will regularly send you a pm however to ask you if you're still working on it. Don't feel rushed when I do so, it's just to make sure the game stays alive.

Lore
As I said, I already created a small part of the lore and will post it in the first chapter. Every player has the right to add lore as he sees fit. If you think something is missing, or you believe some lore would be necessary for your character's next decision or his background, write it.
Lore could be about everything. You just have to take into account is what was already written, to avoid contradictions.

What does a chapter look like?
A chapter has two parts.
The first part is added lore. There is no minimum or maximum for this, but you must make sure the other authors know what you're going to tell them in the next chapter, so that they may continue after you. If you introduce a new character, give us a good description of him. If you add a creature describe it. Introducing a new location? What is it called, where is it situated? Etc.
Then comes the second part, which should be divided by a line from the first part.
Code:
The second part is the actual story. Choose a main character (an already existing one, or a new one) and write for him.
Always use third person and the past tense, unless when writing a dialog!
Pay attention to grammar, keep it fun for everyone!
Of course I won't be too harsh, I know it's often difficult to write in english if it is not your native language (as it isn't mine either), but try your best.
Remember, you have all the time.
The second part must contain at least 1,000 words per chapter.
There is no maximum, you end it when you see fit. If you think you can write 10,000 words and keep people interested, I'd say go for it!

So, would anyone like to queue up? You can always ask for your name to be erased from the list if you lose interest.

As soon as people show some interest, I'll get to work on the story thread.

Queue:
1. QuailLover
2. Anachron
3. DoctorPainkiller
4. Lord Tim

Oh! Me, me, me!

I would say, that each person should only stick with either one person/ or a small group of closely related people. Not willy nilly, grabbing whatever character.

I also want to mention that I will give feedback and so necessary, correct some grammar or contextual contradictions.
I will always send you those and only the final version of a chapter will be posted.

If anyone would like to give feedback on my chapters, feel free to do so in honesty. In fact I'd like you to. This is a challenge for me as well.

I'll try to finish chapter I by tuesday, me and some friends got robbed of our cellphones and some money, which caused me to spend my day at the police office.
(Delay, delay, delay...)

I'd like to try this, never done anything like it before though.

I'll put you on the queue.

Just to let you know, I didn't forget about it, I'm still working on chapter I. I just wrote 4300 words of lore and the map, which I already uploaded, took a good few hours to finish.
I only just started writing the actual chapter. :razz:

I know that's a lot of lore to start with, but my next chapters will contain less lore and remember you'll have all the time to catch up when it's your turn.

There it is, finally.

Okay, QuailLover, you're up.
Your story could be a sequel, a prequel, a spin-off or even an (for now) unrelated one, as long as it is in the same universe.
You can use a part of the map I made, use one of the available areas or choose an entirely different area somewhere on the worldmap. Should you choose one of the larger available areas or another part of the world, just tell me and I will deliver you a blank copy of it.

Good luck :wink:

Oh and of course, I apply for another chapter.

Hey, would you mind terrible if Anachron went ahead of me? I was in a small car accident today, and ... yeah. I'm going to be pretty busy dealing with everything with that.

I'll be keeping my eye on this for sure!  You went all out Tim.  I like it!  Unfortunately, I won't be participating because I am far too busy with my own super secret project and I cannot get distracted.

Yep Ulf is still lurking around on the forum somewhere.
Haven't heard of Kalnia ever since he retired from BfT and Mustang is probably somewhere in the desert or so, doing what military guys do.
But others are around as well, from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom