Calradia in Darkness or Polished Landscapes?

Users who are viewing this thread

dajarvi

Recruit
Which one has the most realistic vegetation and ground layout?  I liked polished landscapes because it gave a sense of realism to nature.  Does Calradia in Darkness do that too?  I noticed CiD is quite a larger file.  Are the graphics better?

http://www.youtube.com/user/sparky668?feature=mhee#p/u/8/PJChQLTV1XM

Click the spoiler. It has one of my videos, I use CiD and that video shows well enough what it does to the game.

CiD makes the countryside look far more realistic, IMO.
Also the atmosphere is a better match for the lovely British climate, lol.

Chur also has some screenies of Brytenwalda using CiD on his main post for the mod:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,157802.0.html

I'm always going to go with Polished Landscapes on this one. It's gotten to the point where I won't play the game without it. :roll:

Edit: added some screenies to the screenie thread if you want to see it "in action." :smile:

It's a matter of personal taste I guess.
But I must point out Polished Landscapes changes flora a lot,
so in some scenes there will be plants and trees in places they're not supposed to.
It shouldn't be a big problem, but it can cause some annoyances.
On battlefields it works fine though.

Adorno said:

I had Calradia in Darkness for the previous version, now im featuring PL.

My vote will go to PL, i just like it.

CiD;
Pros - Fits the vibe of the mod.
Isn't that heavy on your system.

Cons - Even your inventory is darkened, the bread & meat look spoiled (for me at least).
Might get depressing, if you like colors.

PL;
Pros - Looks good (subjective).

Cons - Weird ass flora sometimes.
Tiny obstacles on the ground that might stop your horse mid charge (rare).
Heavy on your machine.
Its always autumn.

So here's what I did.  I installed CiD first.  Then I installed PL.  Wow.  They are compatible.  Super cool.  No CTD's thus far.

Adorno said:
But I must point out Polished Landscapes changes flora a lot,
so in some scenes there will be plants and trees in places they're not supposed to.
It shouldn't be a big problem, but it can cause some annoyances.
On battlefields it works fine though.

It creates poplar trees that have no collision detection, while small groupings of flora you can barely see will hide obstacles that will stop you dead in your tracks. It also can create graphical anomalies with the dust kicked up by horses.

I choose CiD, I think it looks better and effects performance less. Everything just looks out of place when using PL.

I wish you guys would use Lucke189's Realistic Colors mod. It's brilliant and barely effects performance. Maybe when you finalize and polish...

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=120098.0

callahan9119 said:
I wish you guys would use Lucke189's Realistic Colors mod. It's brilliant and barely effects performance. Maybe when you finalize and polish...
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=120098.0

WOW! :shock:
is this compatible with CiD?! did you try? it looks fantastic!

I tried just adding it to this mod, but I got errors. I assume this mod uses textures other than native ones and that causes problems. But I'm sure whatever Lucke did could be replicated or enhanced to accommodate any mod. It is my favorite graphical enhancement.

tried too. didnt get errors, but CiD and Realistic Colours dont fit together. Got weird colours on walls or roof tops e.g.  :???:
hm, a pitty. really thinking of changing CiD to RC now... especially since i took a look at a screenshot of the next version of RC!  :shock:
thanx for the hint anyway callahan!

well...
callahan9119 said:
But I'm sure whatever Lucke did could be replicated or enhanced to accommodate any mod.
and how? from whom? with how much work?
i´d really love to combine these two mods damn it  :evil:

stupid question, but due to i barely never played native (textures) could someone plz tell me what it looks like?  :lol:
to be serious:
a) from time to time there is rain, right?
b) is there - from time to time - also cloudy weather? (something a bit comparable to CiD maybe?)
c) or is it just a mixture of either very shiny wheather or rain? and which percentage (shiny/rain) very approximately?

thanx guys.

Thorgil said:
didnt get errors, but CiD and Realistic Colours dont fit together. Got weird colours on walls or roof tops e.g.

Those are errors. Maybe I had tried installing polished buildings as well and was getting fatal errors from that, but textures were messed up. I don't think he works on the mod anymore. He said I think on the fourth page that it took him no time at all to do, but I'm no modder outside of very simple things, altering textures is beyond my ability. Maybe if you used it only over the basic installation of this mod it would work, but I don't know for a certainty.

Whatever he did, it is the best results I've ever seen for not redoing textures in higher resolutions. When they do a final polish on this mod it would be fantastic if they could fit his mod to work, or use similar techniques. It doesn't even effect performance and wouldn't need to be an "additional sub-mod"

I installed CiD first, then PL.  I'm sure some textures got over-written, but not enough to say, hey, I don't see CiD on here, or hey, I don't see PL.  It seems to blend together perfect, like the right amount of milk and sugar in a cup of coffee!

I installed CiD and had it for a while, but the constant darkness got me upset really fast, then I found out Movie MB View mod which still makes fantastic changes to the game like CiD but it keeps things bright for a change :smile: I recommend checking it out.

Boyar said:
I installed CiD and had it for a while, but the constant darkness got me upset really fast, then I found out Movie MB View mod which still makes fantastic changes to the game like CiD but it keeps things bright for a change :smile: I recommend checking it out.

do you have a link for that please?
[btw: your avatar just really hit me man  :shock:  (maybe cause i´m a bit drunk)]

edit: found the link.

dajarvi said:
I installed CiD first, then PL.  I'm sure some textures got over-written, but not enough to say, hey, I don't see CiD on here, or hey, I don't see PL.  It seems to blend together perfect, like the right amount of milk and sugar in a cup of coffee!

Wow - must try this combo! Was sure stuff gets overwritten with one or another.

Back
Top Bottom